Soldier Stories
Served in the military? Discuss your time and experiences here.
Hosted by Dave Willett
Favourite vehicle
ausboarder
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
entire network: 162 Posts
KitMaker Network: 22 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 11:36 PM UTC
i just saw the "favourite weapon" topic and thought this would be an interesting one as well ^^ , i know its not really soldier stories, but the other was posted here and some of you guys would probably like the vehicles you've had experience with.
Land/ Air/ Sea ...

i particularly like the lockheed F-35 lighting II. and the M2A2 Bradley.
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 2,716 Posts
KitMaker Network: 531 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 10:58 AM UTC
I haven't had too much experience with military vehicles, but I loved the Blackhawk ride I was in a couple years ago. Cadet passed up a notecard to the pilot who graduated from our school some years back that read, "You fly like a girl!" For the rest of the flight we did't fly over 100 ft and slower than 100 mph. Yanking and banking in the valleys, it was awesome.

I also liked the humvee. Some NCOs did a "demonstration" ride in a rock quarry a couple years ago and they pushed them hard...too hard. My battle buddy was in a humvee that flipped over...actually ran into him this weekend for the first time in like two years; he outranks me.... Anyway I digress.

Jeff
captfue
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 785 Posts
KitMaker Network: 210 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 04:51 PM UTC
Wil ; I can honestly say my favorite is any thing that got me from point A to point B without have to use LPC's (Leather Personel Carriers).
Whiskey6
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 408 Posts
KitMaker Network: 179 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 21, 2008 - 07:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Wil ; I can honestly say my favorite is any thing that got me from point A to point B without have to use LPC's (Leather Personel Carriers).

I'm with you Anthony!...except maybe for Gamma Goats. Lot's of engine, lots of noise, very little carrying capacity. They were supposed to float - and did if they were in pristine condition. But if you ever bent the tailgate or damaged the seals, they floated like a rock.

I never did figure out why they put the mount for the machine gun where they did on that thing....one of the unsoved mysteries of the universe. I always figured it was some engineer with a bad hangover and a Monday deadline for the design.

Semper Fi,
Dave
captfue
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 785 Posts
KitMaker Network: 210 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 28, 2008 - 02:45 PM UTC
Wil: after thinking it over a couple of weeks I'd have to say my favorite vehicle would have to be the M151 jeep. It's the one I learned to drive a stick with, while in Japan and after many years in the service still the only one I was ever legally able to drive.

Dave; another great moment of military design, was the six grenade launchers on left front side of the FistV. Really who was that going to scare, The French Army?
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 29, 2008 - 01:10 AM UTC
I'd have to say the M48. What a zippy little tank that was. I first learned to drive on an M48 AVLB (I was an engineer). That hull without the bridge mounted had a lot of get up and go.
MSGsummit
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 751 Posts
KitMaker Network: 175 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 29, 2008 - 03:38 AM UTC
My favorite would have to be the LVTP7A1. I crewed one for four years when I was in the Jugheads. First combat vehicle I learned to drive. Splashing off the back of an old LST was fun but trying to get back on that sucker without banging a final drive was even funner! Had some interesting moments in that machine to say the least!
Vermont6
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 155 Posts
KitMaker Network: 24 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 10:27 PM UTC
M1A1, commanded one two different times, felt like you were floating across the terrain. Great firepower. As a Company Commander had to hot seat in a M2A2 which was cross attached to my company, my ribs were black and blue, could not wait to back to my Abrams.

Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 11:56 PM UTC
The "Shore Patrol" Van, --- meant I had a great liberty!
animal
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,503 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,163 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 29, 2008 - 11:26 AM UTC
I have two, the M49A1 fuel truck and the M54 five ton cargo truck.
lespauljames
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,661 Posts
KitMaker Network: 399 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 30, 2008 - 12:35 AM UTC
Kubelwagen

i knwo its old but hey its awsome,
one of the first things would do if i came into a lot of money would be to get an original
GSPatton
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,411 Posts
KitMaker Network: 785 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 08:46 AM UTC
I may be dating myself - T26E3 -
CaptainA
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 3,117 Posts
KitMaker Network: 204 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 10:26 AM UTC
M1
ElmerFudd
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 156 Posts
KitMaker Network: 39 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 01:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I'm with you Anthony!...except maybe for Gamma Goats. Lot's of engine, lots of noise, very little carrying capacity. They were supposed to float - and did if they were in pristine condition. But if you ever bent the tailgate or damaged the seals, they floated like a rock.

I never did figure out why they put the mount for the machine gun where they did on that thing....one of the unsoved mysteries of the universe. I always figured it was some engineer with a bad hangover and a Monday deadline for the design.

Semper Fi,
Dave

Not really related, but I have to thank you for posting this comment. When I read Gamma Goat I thought what the heck is that so I did a search and found it. A construction company down the road from me has one parked out front and I always wondered what the heck the thing was.
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 5,026 Posts
KitMaker Network: 461 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 02:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The "Shore Patrol" Van, --- meant I had a great liberty!

Did yours have bars in it, that was the only handle that I could find to keep me steady.

Robert
newfish
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,329 Posts
KitMaker Network: 167 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 30, 2008 - 04:21 AM UTC
432 !

=]

tankfixer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 283 Posts
KitMaker Network: 167 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 03:29 AM UTC
My favorite ride was the M88A1. I loved that beast! My favorite thing was to drive right up to where the M1was stuck, hook up to it and drag it out. But that was if I liked the crew. Otherwise I stayed way back and made them drag the main winch cable to their track and then back to mine. Now my new Baby is one of the new MRAPs. We field the Cougar and Buffalo. There is nothing like taking a crew of service members out of the death trap Humvees and putting them in it.
jasmils
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 1,016 Posts
KitMaker Network: 129 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 04:28 AM UTC
Aussie M113 then ASLAV folowed by Unimog.

Cheers Jason
4thLAV_Bn
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 119 Posts
KitMaker Network: 16 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 01:19 AM UTC
It's a toss-up for me between the LAV-25 and LAV-AT... The 25 was easier to sleep in when on road march, but in hot climates, you could open the AT's reloading hatch on the back deck which would act as a giant hood scoop, cooling the interior considerably.
wolfpack6
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 179 Posts
KitMaker Network: 6 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 08:26 AM UTC
Out of all the vehicals in the Army that I operated I would have to say the GOAT aint 1 of them,
I have some words for that non turning, non floating, no brake death trap
M-1 has to my favorite
jccraemer
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 462 Posts
KitMaker Network: 63 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 29, 2008 - 01:15 AM UTC
Favorite veh I got to take a ride in was a AH-6j little bird. but the one I most use out of was the old lpc
11Charlie
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 926 Posts
KitMaker Network: 329 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 29, 2008 - 04:39 PM UTC
There were many, but I have to say there is nothing like a Huey, or the sound of one....did my "cherrie blast" (and #7) out of one of those...next to that, my favorite was the Blackhawk
sarge450
Visit this Community
West Virginia, United States
entire network: 60 Posts
KitMaker Network: 6 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2009 - 11:48 AM UTC
I guess mine would have to be the Humvee, least favorite would be the back of a 5-ton. Talk about beating your guts out.

I did get a ride one time in a Abrams and that was sweet, but still the Humvee carried me around for 4 years so I will go with that.
Panzercmdr
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 110 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2009 - 01:27 PM UTC
I have to say the Leopard A2
dhassett
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 10 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 11, 2009 - 05:27 PM UTC
Well for me my favorite vehicle is the M2 or M3 Brad I was a gunner and BC on both types love the trim vane made a great place to sleep and with the five gallon water can inside it was easier to get water (before camel baks). And swimming them was fun just not the set-up. The M113 I drove in Korea as a scout was a blast got chased by marines in amtraks yikes lol