Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Models destroyed
ti
Visit this Community
Dalarnas, Sweden
entire network: 2,264 Posts
KitMaker Network: 254 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 08:13 PM UTC
Sad to say that the models the collector bought from me, were all destroyed. The models were the Stryker - ATGM, Mortar, Patriot launcher and m977 guntruck. :cry:

Well, that's it I am not sending any more models overseas. :evil:
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 09:02 PM UTC
What models ?
Bratushka
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 1,019 Posts
KitMaker Network: 332 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 11:02 PM UTC
and to where and how?
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 17,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,968 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2008 - 03:08 AM UTC
You have to give us a little more to go on. Where did you ship them to and how did you pack them? I have shipped models all over the world and had no issues with breakage. How you pack them makes the difference.
Removed by original poster on 07/19/08 - 14:35:02 (GMT).
ti
Visit this Community
Dalarnas, Sweden
Posted: Friday, July 18, 2008 - 08:15 AM UTC
I had shipped them to Texas....I had written all over, 'Handle with extreme care & fragile' Even postal stickers were added. I also added 'This side up always' but apparently that did not help. Well, that's it for me. Not sending any more models overseas.

Here are a few pics:

ti
Visit this Community
Dalarnas, Sweden
Posted: Friday, July 18, 2008 - 08:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What models ?

The models that I mentioned in my first post....
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 18, 2008 - 08:23 AM UTC
Very sorry to hear this Charles. It canŽt get any worse than this. ThereŽll be no chance of getting you back to modelling at this rate!
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
entire network: 5,579 Posts
KitMaker Network: 538 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 18, 2008 - 08:36 AM UTC
Sorry to hear about this Charles. I know how much time and effort you put into those models; I was checking your build logs with much interest.

Did you ship the models in that cardboard box? How did you secure them? I guess "this side up" doesn't mean much to the post office.

Mario
mauserman
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 1,183 Posts
KitMaker Network: 496 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 18, 2008 - 08:50 AM UTC
Charles, I take it the buyer sent you these pictures? Something just doesn't look right. I mean they look like they were beaten with a hammer and not just thrown around by the post office.

Call me a skeptic, but I wonder if the models you sent are sitting in a nice display case and what you see is just a bunch of stuff from the scrap bin. I hope you're not out too much money.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 18, 2008 - 01:09 PM UTC
Looks like not packed with them Plastic Peanuts.
Sorry to see them I remember the builds now.
To bad indeed.
So time to hit the PO on a Claim I think.
Were they insured?
ti
Visit this Community
Dalarnas, Sweden
Posted: Friday, July 18, 2008 - 01:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Very sorry to hear this Charles. It canŽt get any worse than this. ThereŽll be no chance of getting you back to modelling at this rate!

We'll see. I'm not 100% broken, just feel sad to see all my work destroyed...

Quoted Text

Did you ship the models in that cardboard box? How did you secure them? I guess "this side up" doesn't mean much to the post office.

The models were shipped in the cardboard. It's a box used to ship computer screens. Now this was my first time ever shipping models, let alone overseas. I had packed the box with forms, soft and hard to take some shocks but I gues that wasn'r enough.

Quoted Text

Charles, I take it the buyer sent you these pictures? Something just doesn't look right. I mean they look like they were beaten with a hammer and not just thrown around by the post office.
Call me a skeptic, but I wonder if the models you sent are sitting in a nice display case and what you see is just a bunch of stuff from the scrap bin. I hope you're not out too much money.

The buyer did send me those pics. the models are right. The last pics shows pieces of the patriot launcher, which I sent to him free of charge, for buying my other three models.

Quoted Text

Looks like not packed with them Plastic Peanuts.
Sorry to see them I remember the builds now.
To bad indeed. So time to hit the PO on a Claim I think. Were they insured?

No, they were not packed with form peanuts. The models were insured by the collector. I've already laid claim and expect a feedback from the PO next week.
tankfixer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 283 Posts
KitMaker Network: 167 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 18, 2008 - 03:18 PM UTC
I hope you put a lot more packing material in the box than what shows. In case you never saw anyone load or unload a mail truck they do NOT unload gently!
whittman181
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 646 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 18, 2008 - 04:38 PM UTC
Just want to send my condolences as this must burn your a**!!!!!! Sorry , Bob
Bratushka
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Friday, July 18, 2008 - 08:04 PM UTC
i have heard before that customs sometimes tears things open and then does a pathetic job of repackaging. any indication of that having happened?
ti
Visit this Community
Dalarnas, Sweden
Posted: Friday, July 18, 2008 - 10:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

i have heard before that customs sometimes tears things open and then does a pathetic job of repackaging. any indication of that having happened?

If that was the case the condition of the models would not be what they are...not that servere. And secondly, I had sent him a phot of how the boxes were packed so he new how to opened them.

Bratushka
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 02:05 AM UTC
Charles: I agree with what some of the other posters said: these models aren't just apart; they are utterly destroyed! I know that even if you sell them, a small part of yourself still goes into each one you build. That is true with any art because I think that's what makes art alive.

I have sold unbuilt model kits before that were sent from the US to various countries. Sometimes a buyer would insist on the least expensive way, even if it meant waiting 30 days or longer to get it. I always hated doing that because I felt the longer an item was in someone else's possession, the easier it was to get lost or damaged. Even if it's insured, it's still a pain in the rear to deal with it all. I wonder what sending something like that by an expess company like DHL or FedEx would have cost?
jezza
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
entire network: 33 Posts
KitMaker Network: 11 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 02:06 AM UTC
That's such a shame!

No way does it look like a accident though- I can't see how it's possible for the models to break into so many individual components. It's more like somebody having a bad day at the post office intentionally dismembered your models and threw them back in the box. They probably got their jollies out of doing it too.

Jezza
barv
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,594 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 04:18 AM UTC

Ti...feel your loss ......they were great models -----------having had 2 of my Oshkosh and my ScammelCommander Tank transporters nosedive from 6' off the shelf and not have 1/2 the damage seen ,I do not understand how they are in such a state of "dismemberment"(chassi stripped?)
The damage done must have been intentionl to have so many parts separate to that extent
Unbelievable
aye
BARV
(GOSMG)
ti
Visit this Community
Dalarnas, Sweden
Posted: Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 06:03 AM UTC
that you guys mentioned it and by taking another look, you all might be right...
kiwibelg
Visit this Community
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
entire network: 939 Posts
KitMaker Network: 202 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 10:00 PM UTC
Hi Charles,

I'd agree with Barv and Jezza. Looking at the box it seems like THAT arrived in better condition than the model
Good luck in getting to the bottom of this mate!
Shay
Hohenstaufen
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,192 Posts
KitMaker Network: 386 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 10:55 PM UTC
What a sad story! I note that there is what looks like a wooden diorama base in there. If that wasn't held tight could that be what did a lot of the damage? When I worked for Buckingham Pewter years ago, I remember the guv'nor checking out our packing. He did this by hurling boxes from one end of the factory to the other, to replicate what he had seen being done @ Mount Pleasant sorting office! We had arrived at an expanded polystyrene muff, that was custom cut for each figure, then held in a carboard sleeve. This was then wrapped. The models were unharmed by this treatment; however they were individual 80mm pewter or white metal figurines (some handpainted). What the others have said about the "poly peanuts" would be mandatory on plastic kits, as NO movement must be permitted.
ti
Visit this Community
Dalarnas, Sweden
Posted: Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 11:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

What a sad story! I note that there is what looks like a wooden diorama base in there. If that wasn't held tight could that be what did a lot of the damage? When I worked for Buckingham Pewter years ago, I remember the guv'nor checking out our packing. He did this by hurling boxes from one end of the factory to the other, to replicate what he had seen being done @ Mount Pleasant sorting office! We had arrived at an expanded polystyrene muff, that was custom cut for each figure, then held in a carboard sleeve. This was then wrapped. The models were unharmed by this treatment; however they were individual 80mm pewter or white metal figurines (some handpainted). What the others have said about the "poly peanuts" would be mandatory on plastic kits, as NO movement must be permitted.

I had the bases squeezed tightly and sunk into styrofoam . I did not how how more I could have done it. Like I said, it was my first time packing, so I probably could have done a lot of things better but now I know...
Hohenstaufen
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,192 Posts
KitMaker Network: 386 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 12:26 AM UTC
Sorry Charles, wasn't trying to lecture. From what you've said it is quite clear this is deliberate vandalism, & no packing in the world can protect from this...
Bratushka
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 12:30 AM UTC
Did you see any photos of the package previous to it being opened? I know hindsight is always perfect vision, but the condition they are in would indicate some signs of abuse would have to have been apparent.

Being a prolific mail ordering sort myself any deliveries that show abuse to the packaging I will photograph before opening. It has paid off, too.

I don't know the buyer, but I can reason that having second thoughts about a purchase for whatever reason, said purchase being insured, destruction of the contents is a fairly sure way to get a refund. And if the item travels a good distance to arrive and many hands have been put on it, who's to say where the wounds occurred?

Again, I am stunned by the magnitude of destruction. I don't think you could put a well built model in a paint shaker and get that level of damage.