Soldier Stories
Served in the military? Discuss your time and experiences here.
Hosted by Dave Willett
how many tankers are out there?
turrettoad13
Visit this Community
Mississippi, United States
entire network: 607 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 10:45 AM UTC
I know this is a loaded question, but be glad to hear from my fellow tankers, be glad to hear from tankers from other countries. I've often wonderd how similar and different some armor systyems are. im in the national guard,a week-end warroir, so im just a part time tanker. Be glad to swap a lie or two.Be shure to include type of tank and duty position please . Have a good one!! TURRETTOAD 13 OUT . P.S. Guess i need to say a little about my self i started out as a 19 D cav scout in HQ troop 1-108th AC after driving for the S-4 i saw the light and transferd to d 1-108th where i served as a loader -driver -gunner on m-60a3 tts in 94 we were absorbed into the 155 Armord birgade and transitoned to M1s I served as a gunner from 94 to 02 im now the TC of C-13 in 2-198th armd. btn.
EDIT : I'm now the TC of a M1A1 AIM in Troop A 98th CAV . Bumper # A-34
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 11:18 AM UTC
I joined the National Guard while in college and enlisted as a CEV crewman. I was branched armor in my junior year and trained with an armor unit equipped with the M48A5. Both units were part of the 50th Armor Division. I entered the Regular Army after that as an M1 Armor officer (back in the old days, tankers were tracked either as M1 (19K MOS) or M60/48 (19E MOS)). My first unit in Germany (8th ID) was equipped with the M60A3TTS and I was a platoon leader. We got brand new M1A1s about a year later. About 9 months later, we got brand new M1A1-HA and then I became the company XO.

After my advance course at Ft. Knox, I went to 1st Cav and rode M1A1-HA and then some of our units started getting M1A2s. After company command, I served in an AC/RC postition at Redstone Arsenal and also was an instructor at the Ordnance Missile and Munitions School for about a year. I did my S3 time as the Operations Officer for a computer battle simulation center.

I am currently in command of a sattelite school of the APG Ordnance School located at the former Ft. Devens. I went to advance training for Functional Area 90A (Multifunctional Logistician) last fall and am now dual branch qualified as an armor and ordnance officer.
shootER5
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 64 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 05:12 PM UTC
I'm a former 19E/19K tanker. I was with 1/124 CAV, 49th AD from 1986-93 (had to get out due to civilian job requirements). Most of my time was spent on M60A3TTS, but I did spend some time on M1IPs. At one point or another, I was a loader, driver, gunner, TC, and Platoon Sgt.

I miss the tanks. My love of armor was one of the main reasons I enlisted.
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 2,606 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 07:53 PM UTC
I've been an instructor on M47, M60 and Leopard 1A1/A2. On top of that I've been a tank platoon and squadron commander (Leopard 1A1/A2).
Ciao
leogunner
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 147 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 17, 2003 - 05:21 AM UTC
Hey Turret
I am in the Canadian army posted to the Armour School in Gagetown. I am dual qualified on the Canadian Leopard C-2(Leo 1A-5), driver and gunner.
I spent 5 years in the Lord Strathconas Horse (Royal Canadians), in Edmonton Alberta, then was posted to the Armour School here in 2000, where I got my gunners course and have spent a lot of time getting to know the big cat inside and out.
ARENGCA
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 382 Posts
KitMaker Network: 101 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 12, 2003 - 08:13 AM UTC
Hi,

5-1/2 years as an enlisted tanker and ROTC cadet, M60/M60A1 tanks, in the Army Reserves
1-1/2 years as a tank platoon leader in the same unit

A few years as a Combat Engineer, including Officer Basic Course.
3-1/2 years as a Tank Company XO and BMO, M60A3 tanks, in the National Guard
A few more years as an engineer staff officer in the National Guard
2+ years as commander of a Transportation Company, M915A2s, in the Army Reserve
Since 2000, Civil Affairs officer. Deployed to Bosnia for 8-1/2 months, now looking at a trip to Sand Warz 2.
m60a3
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 778 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 12, 2003 - 03:03 PM UTC
I'm sorry I'm late!
Branched out of ROTC as USAR-Armor. Spent all my time with the National Guard ( 2-102 AR and 5-117 CAV). Made it to XO of the Cav Troop. Tanked in M48A5s and M60A3s, Scout Platoon I had used M-113A2s APCs and M-901A2 ITVs.
Most rewarding profession I ever had.
120mmSniper
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 157 Posts
KitMaker Network: 55 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 05:35 AM UTC
M1A1 Tanker here. I spent four years in Vilseck/Grafenwoehr Germany. I'm now in the Texas National Guard. I have been a loader and a driver. I don't mind saying that I'm pretty good at both. At the last TCGST, I loaded a HEAT round in 4.26sec. I'm now a gunner. I'm having lots of fun learning that.

It was recently time to reenlist of get out. It's not always a picnic, and I had some last-minute doubts. In the end, I couldn't imagine a life without tanks.
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 1,290 Posts
KitMaker Network: 480 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 12:19 PM UTC
Hi fellow treadheads,

Started life as an infantryman, then tired of walking, I was commissioned as a 2LT in Armor. Been a tank platoon leader, scout platoon leader, tank company XO, tank company commander, tank battalion S-4, cav squadron S-4 and a support battalion S-3. After leaving active duty and joining the Army Reserve, I only get to smell diesel fumes, no more playing on tanks.

ARMOR - The Comabt Arm of Decision!!!!
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 489 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 02:40 PM UTC
I was on M1's in Germany in the mid 80's. Went home on leave for 30 day's and when I came back my vehicle had been up graded to M1 IP. After I PCS'd from Germany (3rd Squadron 2nd ACR) I was sent to H Co. 2nd Squadron 3rd ACR at Ft. Bliss.They had just been through transitional training from M60 A3 to the M1A1. They were the first regular unit to field the M1A1. Luckily I missed out on the transition - I heard it wasn't much fun. I was the first pure 19k to be in that company. Everyone else was 19E first. In field exercises those old dinosaurs (M60 series) never stood a chance !

As a crewman I spent time as loader, gunner, TC and my favorite -driver. Funny thing about that too. In the 2nd ACR we considered loader to be low on the totem pole. In the 3rd ACR they considered the driver to be low !?!? I never really understood why the difference, but it was a little more of a responsiblity driving a tank on public roads in Germany than on a tank trail in Texas!

Luckily, to me anyway, my TC time was minimal interim duties and I was able to convince my superiors to keep me driving rather than gunning or loading. Both of which are also great fun. I liked to fill in as loader for short crews during gunnery.

I spent three years doing the cav tanker bit then I got out to pursue my college education. In the mean time I joined the Guards. It was an ITV equipped heavy anti-tank unit. Yech!!
Give me a tank any day. But at least tracks are tracks and still fun to drive. I once got my ITV to do about 25 miles per hour! Whoopee. I was able to nudge my M1 to a touch over 60 miles per hour on a paved road in Germany during a Reaction Force alert. It might have gone faster but I let off because I got an engine overspeed warning. Damn. That was awesome. We sure have a fine tank. However I would like to point out that sometimes we would have unofficial races against some of the Lepard II's of our German sister unit and they were able to beat us cross country. Those are some sweet machines too. I'd still take the M1 though.
joepanzer
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 803 Posts
KitMaker Network: 19 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 25, 2004 - 09:32 AM UTC
I had an M1A! up to 65 going down hill one time at Graf!!

5 days after High School graduation I was at Fort Knox thinking "what the hell am I doing here?"

After AIT I was sent to the 3rd AD in Gelnhausen FRG. Served as a loader for one of the CAT units, D co. 1-33rd armor. Served on M1IPs and M1A1s

After 2 years, was sent to Ft Riley Kansas, back to M1s!!

2 years of that, got out to pursue my education, but low and behold, 9 months later got recalled for the 1st Gulf War. Went back to Germany, saw no combat, came back to school, 6 years later, rediscovered my love for armor modeling!!

Joe Panzer
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 4,287 Posts
KitMaker Network: 824 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 01, 2004 - 11:53 PM UTC
Hola everybody, Gotta add my .02 cents worth. Started my military life as a 19D some 20+ years ago at Ft. Knox...like most of us armor types, US anyways. I never transistioned to 19K, but I have more time working on tnaks than I do Bradleys or Hummers. Seems our tank platoons were always undermanned. When gunnery came around, Scouts were siphoned off to fill the vacant slots. I have done everything from drive these beasties to command them.....yes, as a 19D! I have crewed everything from an M48A5, M60A3, M551A1, and the Standard M1. I havent gotten the chance to do it anymore, but I will always have fond memories of my time with the heavy hitters of the battlefield. On a side note... after almost 22 years being in and around these big guys, my career is almost over. As of 28 June I begin clearing for retirement. ...."and there was much rejoicing..yay." Cool thread keep it going. "Q"
Moezilla
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,161 Posts
KitMaker Network: 533 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 25, 2004 - 04:01 AM UTC
All these Army doggies out there, guess it's about time we had a Marine Corps tanker in the group. I was with Delta Co. 1st Tank BN, 1st Marine Division from 85-89 on the old M-60A1's. Started as driver and worked my way to loader and gunner and even got to TC a bit. Fun stuff!
rfeehan
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 727 Posts
KitMaker Network: 67 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 08:48 AM UTC
Not really a tanker but I was considered Armoured. Spent about 5 years in the Canadian Militia ( like the US National Guard basically) in the early 80s.

Prince Edward Island Regiment, 17th Recce, 'A' Squadron.

All of my time was spent in jeeps training since my unit didn't have the space or the budget for Cougars/Lynxs. All our quarter tons (jeeps) mounted 7.62 MGs (at that time basically rebarreled US .30 cals) and we carried FN rifles and SMGs (same as the Brit Sterling 9mm). Many of our guys were track qualified on Lynxs and the idea was in a wartime situation we would be quickly qualified on the Lynx and Cougar but that was never tested.

Some good memories from those days.

Rob
gunnerk19
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
entire network: 354 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 09:46 AM UTC
My Dos Centavos...

Some of you might remember me, I've been MIA for quite awhile...

I'm a 19K with VTARNG's C/1/172 Ar; The same unit to achieve the highest ever score of 987 out of 1000 in Aug. '98 on TTXII at Drum's range 44 for an NG unit (damn 13 pt. crew cut) for 6 years now, was going to ETS in Aug. '04 but the Stop Loss thing got me; I've been a driver, loader (2.4/sec SABOT, 3.1/sec HEAT), and gunner (scored a 763, 2 Q my first time gunning a TT XII), currently going thru SRP and staring at possible Mob/ deployment somewheres before September...
barron
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 666 Posts
KitMaker Network: 66 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 16, 2004 - 09:08 PM UTC
I spent 14 years as a tanker, until my ankle was crushed and I was out on a medical. The units I was in were Bco 6-32ar and Bco 3-68 ar at FT Carson, Aco 2-68ar in Baumholder FRG, HHC 2-13 and HHc 2-81 at FT Knox, and also NCOA/DSS at FT. Knox. I have served on M60A1s, M60A3. M1, and M1A1. I have been a Driver , Gunner and TC. I also have been an instructor for PLDC, Bncoc 19E and 19K and a instructor for Armor Basic Soliders in Gunnery and live fire on the ranges at FT. Knox. I really miss those big Iron pigs. We had the best jobs in the Army!
AVRE165
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 181 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 05:15 AM UTC
hi

1975- 1987 driving Centurion AVRE 165mm+105 +AVLB + ARK+ARV
also Chieftain AVLB + AVRE.

also commanded all above except Centurion ARK.

alos driven loads more tanks from Kahlid,SHIR,Challenger,T72,55,54,69,34,VT34,
LEOPARD 1,2,2a5, m60A2,m60A3.M1
plus heaps of other stuff.

ossie