Soldier Stories
Served in the military? Discuss your time and experiences here.
Hosted by Dave Willett
Hair on combat soldiers
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 2,362 Posts
KitMaker Network: 309 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 02:20 PM UTC
Soldiers are supposed to be clean-shaven with close-cropped hair at base, but what about when they are out in combat? Do they have to shave and cut their hair when out in the field and not actually fighting? In cold winters, for instance, I cannot imagine soldiers wanting to shave or cut their hair, since extra hair would add warmth. Assuming the winter clothing is unavailable or inadequate.
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 6,391 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,600 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 02:41 PM UTC
Regular soldiers will be close cropped, because they have regular access to both water and a barber. Special forces soldiers can often be seen with beards, and "excessive" hair cuts, just because they don't have regular access to water.

sgtsauer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 2,605 Posts
KitMaker Network: 650 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 02:41 PM UTC
While in Iraq during OIF 1, we had soldiers within the unit that would cut everyone's hair. Once AAFES opened up at Baghdad International Airport, we had pakistani barbers that would cut our hair. For a small fee of course.
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 2,362 Posts
KitMaker Network: 309 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 03:35 AM UTC
I was thinking of soldiers deliberately leaving beards on and hair to grow in very cold weather conditions. But that is not done, I take it.
Whiskey6
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 408 Posts
KitMaker Network: 179 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 06:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Soldiers are supposed to be clean-shaven with close-cropped hair at base, but what about when they are out in combat? Do they have to shave and cut their hair when out in the field and not actually fighting? In cold winters, for instance, I cannot imagine soldiers wanting to shave or cut their hair, since extra hair would add warmth. Assuming the winter clothing is unavailable or inadequate.

When I was in the "rear with the gear" - for instance in an artillery battery position or a battalion headquarters - the living conditions were pretty civil. We were able to get almost daily showers and shaves and regular haircuts. When I was in the jungle, hygene happened when we could get to water. A helmet bath and a shave was very welcome when the opportunity arose....especially when there weren;t too many little critters swimming in the water.

Semper Fi,
Dave
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 07:52 AM UTC
All company level tactical units have several SKO (Sets, Kits & Outfits) as part of their unit supply. Among these are a barber set that includes several types of clippers, both electric and 1940s era hand powered.
FNC1
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 58 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 08:36 AM UTC
We remain beardless and short haired whether in garrison or in the field, or operationlly. The purpose for the short head hair is hygene. The reason moustaches are allowed, but beards are not is that your respirator will not seal if you have a beard. Any exposure to nasty chemicals, even something as harmless as CS/CN gas will not be stopped, and even though your wearing your mask, you'll be puking your guts out. In the field and opperatonally, if water is an issue, then we would just dry shave, but shave we had to. As an interesting semi related point, we always had longer hair then is in vogue in the u.s. mil. If we actually cut our hair that short, we would be charged with a self inflicted wound...as bare skull is a huge danger from heat prostration. 2cm was the length, if my memory hasnt gone entirely west.
Cheers,
footsie
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 305 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 01:09 PM UTC
depending on what particular task we were given depended on how we dressed , long hair beards uniform or civvies, the long hair was great in winter but gave me a headache and i itched like hell in summer as for a beard i had orders from my wife to shave it off before walking through the front door, it used to scare the kids.
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 4,085 Posts
KitMaker Network: 160 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 03:57 PM UTC
You must have never saw some of the modern European forces in the 1990s....long hair past their shoulders...some with ponytails.....and those are the guys during exercises and operational tours.

Beards are worn by Canadian Infantry Pioneers....it is a tradition....and wearing a gas mask with a beard can be done. Some of the Canadian Pioneer photos taken in Kosovo in 1999 looked like they had half grown ZZ Top beads.
spooky6
Visit this Community
Sri Lanka
entire network: 2,174 Posts
KitMaker Network: 613 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 07:25 PM UTC
Until the late '90s, here in Sri Lanka, all regular troops in the field had to shave and have haircuts whenever it was possible, and would be inspected for it even at FOBs. Special ops troops could grow their hair and beards 'cos they are also used in deniable and undercover missions. Recently, however, I've noticed that regular troops sport beards in the field too, mostly to fool the enemy into thinking they're special forces However, they still need to shave and cut their hair when back at basecamp.
FNC1
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 58 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 04, 2008 - 08:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

You must have never saw some of the modern European forces in the 1990s....long hair past their shoulders...some with ponytails.....and those are the guys during exercises and operational tours.

Beards are worn by Canadian Infantry Pioneers....it is a tradition....and wearing a gas mask with a beard can be done. Some of the Canadian Pioneer photos taken in Kosovo in 1999 looked like they had half grown ZZ Top beads.

Thats was entirely true in the 80's as well Jason...I remember the Dutch army having Fabio haircuts. Also true about the pioneers lol. Not sure about the respirator though...just don't think that would work at all. Myself, the only time I was authorized to have a beard was during a tour of Alert in 85....don't ask how I got there. I felt like a pig in rubber boots surrounded by nothing but airfarce and navy types. I was back in batallion for exactly one hour when I was sent off to de-fur my face. LOL!
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Friday, July 04, 2008 - 02:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Until the late '90s, here in Sri Lanka, all regular troops in the field had to shave and have haircuts whenever it was possible, and would be inspected for it even at FOBs. Special ops troops could grow their hair and beards 'cos they are also used in deniable and undercover missions. Recently, however, I've noticed that regular troops sport beards in the field too, mostly to fool the enemy into thinking they're special forces However, they still need to shave and cut their hair when back at basecamp.

Ha ha...if growing a beard is enough to fool the Tamil Tigers into thinking they are "Special Forces" then they should go all the way and get some hair extensions too.....they would wipe out the Tigers in no time.
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Friday, July 04, 2008 - 02:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thats was entirely true in the 80's as well Jason...I remember the Dutch army having Fabio haircuts. Also true about the pioneers lol. Not sure about the respirator though...just don't think that would work at all. Myself, the only time I was authorized to have a beard was during a tour of Alert in 85....don't ask how I got there. I felt like a pig in rubber boots surrounded by nothing but airfarce and navy types. I was back in batallion for exactly one hour when I was sent off to de-fur my face. LOL!

Yup, I remember seeing the German troops in Shilo in the 80's....some stylin' doos back then on them.

For beards a good coating of Vaseline ensures a good seal with a gas mask......I have seen it done and it works.

The Canadian Navy also authorizes Sailors to have beards.

Throughout the entire Canadian Forces Soldiers can grow beards if it is due to religious requirements...such as Muslims, Sikhs, or Orthodox Jews.

Longer hair in summer and winter can be a pain in the butt on exercise or on operations....it gets dirty fast and loses any insulation properties and with a beret, helmet, of winter touques you quickly get a bad case of hat head and then your hair actually starts to hurt.

Special Ops Forces in Afghanistan and Iraq wear beards not because they don't have water to shave....they have beards so that they can fit in and communicate better with civilian men.....under Islamic law a man should have a beard.....it gains respect and trust with the local population.
peacekeeper
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 715 Posts
KitMaker Network: 401 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 04, 2008 - 03:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Jason

Don't forget winter warfare .... we almost always had beard growing contests while on them (even those prissy royals LOL)....beards to be shaved off immediately on return to base though.

Dave
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Friday, July 04, 2008 - 03:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Don't forget winter warfare .... we almost always had beard growing contests while on them (even those prissy royals LOL)....beards to be shaved off immediately on return to base though.

I was in the Armoured Corps...always clean shaven even during the winter.....we all had electric razors....haha.....and lots of hot water in the boiling vessel.
spooky6
Visit this Community
Sri Lanka
entire network: 2,174 Posts
KitMaker Network: 613 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 11:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Ha ha...if growing a beard is enough to fool the Tamil Tigers into thinking they are "Special Forces" then they should go all the way and get some hair extensions too.....they would wipe out the Tigers in no time.

Lol. I think the infantry just felt left outta things. The SF and Commandos were catching all the headlines last year with their assassination missions and behind-the-lines stuff. So it might be that the infantry's trying to fool the media! A recently formed mechanized infantry brigade even tried to have a bandana as their official headgear! Luckily some brass killed that idea.
Aleksey_Gilevskiy
Visit this Community
Belgorod, Russia
entire network: 125 Posts
KitMaker Network: 25 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 07, 2008 - 05:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I was in the Armoured Corps...always clean shaven even during the winter.....we all had electric razors....haha.....and lots of hot water in the boiling vessel.

Bingo! I served in Field Arty (SPH), there was not any troubles to make yourself clean shaved , even in field in winter
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 07, 2008 - 08:36 AM UTC
Vaseline, sure...Hey bad guys, time out! Before you attack us give us a couple of minutes to grease up our beards with vaseline. We'll give you the signal when it's safe drop the chemical agents on our position. OK? Thanks!
S_Edson
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 7 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 17, 2008 - 05:21 AM UTC
My brother has what is called, I think, a H & T.
Cyberwombat
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 262 Posts
KitMaker Network: 40 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 17, 2008 - 01:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I was thinking of soldiers deliberately leaving beards on and hair to grow in very cold weather conditions. But that is not done, I take it.

Not in the US Army, that's for sure. Might be able to get away with a couple day's worth of stubble depending on the 1st Sergeant, but we were expected to be clean-shaven more often than not even on maneuvers.

There was an exception if you had a facial condition (many black soldiers had skin problems because of shaving and could get dispensations for it).
damoore46
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 107 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 02:56 PM UTC
The US Navy was the same way. I was on subs, and even then someone on board would cut your hair. Wasn't always the best, but at least you looked as good as the next guy until you got home!! Beards were not allowed for the same reasons as mentioned above - face masks wouldn't seal. For us, it wasn't a chemical thing as much as straight smoke in case of a fire. Its not like we could "open the doors" and let the smoke out!!
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 7,219 Posts
KitMaker Network: 981 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 24, 2009 - 10:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The US Navy was the same way. I was on subs, and even then someone on board would cut your hair. Wasn't always the best, but at least you looked as good as the next guy until you got home!! Beards were not allowed for the same reasons as mentioned above - face masks wouldn't seal. For us, it wasn't a chemical thing as much as straight smoke in case of a fire. Its not like we could "open the doors" and let the smoke out!!

Interesting. My dad was on the SSN 613 Flasher. He always sported a full beard or Fu Manchu while out on patrol. Different times, different regs perhaps.

HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 17,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,968 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 25, 2009 - 01:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Not in the US Army, that's for sure. Might be able to get away with a couple day's worth of stubble depending on the 1st Sergeant, but we were expected to be clean-shaven more often than not even on maneuvers.

There was an exception if you had a facial condition (many black soldiers had skin problems because of shaving and could get dispensations for it).

I'll second that. In the US Army, you shave daily; in garrison, in the field, or in combat. Haircuts are also kept up as well. Its always fun shaving in cold water in the winter...Brrrrrrr!!
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 7,219 Posts
KitMaker Network: 981 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 25, 2009 - 10:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'll second that. In the US Army, you shave daily; in garrison, in the field, or in combat. Haircuts are also kept up as well. Its always fun shaving in cold water in the winter...Brrrrrrr!!

I must not have gotten the memo.

jowady
entire network: 1,027 Posts
KitMaker Network: 115 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 25, 2009 - 11:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Interesting. My dad was on the SSN 613 Flasher. He always sported a full beard or Fu Manchu while out on patrol. Different times, different regs perhaps.

I think that the combat tempo might have something to do with it, as a glance at Bill Mauldin's drawings of WW2 infantry can attest.