TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
New movie
ausboarder
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
entire network: 162 Posts
KitMaker Network: 22 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 10:54 AM UTC
i found a new movie coming out on the net, it looks quite good in my opinion.

http://au.video.yahoo.com/watch/2910399/8336679

Cyberwombat
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 262 Posts
KitMaker Network: 40 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 02:01 PM UTC
That could be interesting. Not a big Spike Lee fan, but we'll see.
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 02:18 PM UTC
Live link: http://au.video.yahoo.com/watch/2910399/8336679

This looks like Spike's answer to his criticism that Flags of Our Fathers had no black Marines in it. There were a handful of black Marines at Iwo, but they didn't raise the flag on Mount Siribachi ... a fact Mr. Lee seemed to want changed for the film.

I'm glad he found the 92nd Infantry Division "Buffalo Soldiers" so he could do a movie. I don't know if the movie is based on a true incident, but the 92nd really did fight in Italy in World War II.
hellbent11
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 725 Posts
KitMaker Network: 320 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 11:27 PM UTC
I thought about going and seeing it but I'm not sure I want my bucks supporting a shady guy like spike lee? A tough situation.

I do think that the flap he caused over Flags was just plain stupid! You shouldn't alter actual history to suit your feelings or political ideology. That was the way things were back in the day and we've corrected them for the better.

Hellbent
GSPatton
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,411 Posts
KitMaker Network: 785 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 08:40 AM UTC
Never forget for a moment that Spike Lee's first job is to PROMOTE Spike Lee. Since his differences with Clint Eastwood made no sence - the fact that he was coming out with an African-American version of Band of Brothers makes perfect sence.

Publicity - even negative publicity is, publicity...

So, I may see his movie, just beacuse it brings to light a time when American's fought to free the world from tyranny.
dispatcher
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 396 Posts
KitMaker Network: 70 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 11:54 AM UTC
Our local PBS station aired a story on the black marines of Iwo a couple of weeks ago. I was unable to see it but it might make it around on other PBS stations. Looked like a story told by one of the marines who was there.
Joe
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 2,716 Posts
KitMaker Network: 531 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 12:57 PM UTC
I could give a crap about Spike Lee and Clint Eastwood fighting each other, but I won't. I care about them making good productions. With that in mind, I have deep respect for both. Half of Hollywood is ego driven because like a product - don't forget that what they make is a product - that is how they get paid, so saying Spike Lee is just promoting himself is only saying half the story. Also, Miracle of Santa Anna is not like a Band of Brothers...at all, unless a movie about troops in World War II is a Band of Brothers. There is a "sequel" if you will to Band of Brothers called The Pacific which will come out sometime in 2009.

The trailer for Miracle at Santa Anna came out a couple months ago and I've looked forward to it since I first saw it. Unfortunately I'll be at Basic Training in September so I won't get to see it until it comes out on DVD. The fact that most of the war movies in the last decade have been excellent in nature has meant that there seems to have been little incentive to make new ones, so I look forward to MaSA as well as the Generation Kill, the upcoming The Pacific, and eventually They Marched Into Sunlight. With any luck we will see a resurgence of war-related movies that look at war in a different way than has already been told.

Jeff
whittman181
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 646 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 08:07 PM UTC
I'll watch it , any new war movie is welcome in my opinion except I'll wait for the DVD Have not been to the theater in years as I always fall asleep Bob