_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
cobblestones
airwarrior
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 2,085 Posts
KitMaker Network: 559 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 11, 2003 - 09:04 AM UTC
how do most of you make cobblestone,and is thier any particular mix of paint you use for them?thnx alot for your help.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 11, 2003 - 11:12 AM UTC
Cobblestones can be made in a number of ways. Pour hardwall into a frame and scribe them. Using lentils taped down and then filling the gaps by hardwall. (check out the articles on Docs Dios to see this in more detail.) Scribe them into styrofoam. Cutting lots of little squares of cardboard of different thickness and glueing them down in whatever pattern you want.
Painting them has as many methods. The way i usually do it is to spray them all black first. Then paint all the cobblestones in different shades of grey. Give them a heavy wash of burnt umber or similar then spray a light filter over them so they look more together and not a patchwork blankett. the filter should be a middle shade grey, heavily thinned and misted evenly all over. Then dry brush them all with the same lighter grey. This again ties them all together.
Some people paint them all the same colour and drybrush different colours. Just do what you feel suits best. This is how i make stone walls as well only using brick reds and browns. If you scribe styrofoam, make sure the first coat is acrylic, enamels will burn the foam. Hopefully this helps! Feel free to ask more questions if you are unsure about something!
boosahmer
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 651 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 12, 2003 - 10:27 AM UTC
I built a cobblestone street using lentils and wall spackle. Very time consuming, but it was a lot of enjoyment (especially figuring out how much I saved $$$$ instead of buying a verlinden cobblestone street)
check out the pictures-
http://groups.msn.com/digitaldioramas/boosahmerswork.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=1096
airwarrior
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 2,085 Posts
KitMaker Network: 559 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 12, 2003 - 10:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

lentils

whats a lentil?
ModlrMike
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 714 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 12, 2003 - 10:42 AM UTC
A lentil is a vegetable. Sort of like a pea, but smaller. You can usually find them in the dried beans area of any bulk food store, or grocery. According to the article that I read, you use 1/2 the lentil, flat side down, and then "grout" the area with drywall paste.
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 8,797 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,186 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 12, 2003 - 10:57 AM UTC
DAve

I have seen people making a Cobblestone road with splitted peas glued to the base and then covered with wallspackle looked pretty convincing to me

I make my cobblestone roads of the same foam I use for my buildings. I scribe in the pattern I want and then I take my vile and hit the cobblestone surface with the backside to get some leveling in it. Works really well
Go through this article until you reached the part about the groundworks it might be inspirational.
https://armorama.kitmaker.net//features/142

blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 07:47 PM UTC
I take the eay path....buy plastistruct and glue it to the base they have a variety of patterns and sizes and it's pretty cheap and takes a fraction of the time
 _GOTOTOP