Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
A good man is gone.
JackFlash
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 11,669 Posts
KitMaker Network: 290 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 23, 2008 - 04:19 PM UTC
From the Director of the BOP Harry G. Lappin.

"It is with deep sadness that I must report the untimely death of a member of the Bureau Family. On Friday, June 20, 2008, at approximately 3:20 p.m., two inmates at the United States Penitentiary, Atwater, took the life of Correctional Officer Jose Rivera.

The tragic event occurred while Officer Rivera was on the second tier of a housing unit attempting to place two inmates back into their cell. The inmates turned and began assaulting Officer Rivera. Officer Rivera tried to evade the assault by running to the ground floor, but ultimately the two inmates caught the officer and resumed their attack using a homemade knife.

Staff responded immediately, successfully restraining both inmates and performing life-saving measures. Officer Rivera was immediately transported to the nearest local hospital. Unfortunately Officer Rivera ‘s life could not be saved. . .

Officer Rivera was 22 years old. He was a four year veteran of the Navy, and completed two tours of military duty in Iraq. He began his career with the Bureau of Prisons as a Correctional Officer less than one year ago, on August 5, 2007. Despite his youth, Officer Rivera took his responsibilities – both at work and at home – very seriously.

Officer Rivera is survived by his mother, siblings, and girlfriend. The institution executive staff, as well as representatives from the Council of Prison Locals and the Correctional Peace Officers Foundation, are meeting with the family to provide assistance regarding benefits and making necessary arrangements. A memorial service is expected to be held at St. Patrick’s Catholic Church in Merced, CA; and Officer Rivera will be buried at Evergreen Memorial, also in Merced. We will provide the date and time for these services via Sallyport as soon as the information becomes available. Additionally, we are establishing a co-worker emergency fund and details will be avail able on Sallyport. Staff can learn more about this type of fund by going to Resources/Employee Support/Employees in Need or by clicking here.

All flags around the Bureau are being flown at half mast in honor of Officer Rivera. June 20,2008 will be remembered as a very sad day in the history of our agency. We will never forget the man who died that day or his selfless service to the public. I know that you join me in extending our deepest sympathy to Officer Rivera’s family, friends, and co-workers; please keep them in your thoughts and prayers. I ask that all of us renew our commitment to protecting one another to the greatest of our abilities as we carry out our important responsibilities, so that never again will the family of a Bureau staff member bear a loss such as the one being felt today."
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 7,772 Posts
KitMaker Network: 802 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 23, 2008 - 04:46 PM UTC
Horrible that such a man is taken from society in such a way, and so young.

May we honor him, and all in this career.
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 23, 2008 - 05:14 PM UTC
Horrible way to die. May he rest in peace.

I was a correctional officer for about four years. It's not an easy job on some days. I had death threats and I had guys who felt I helped them through their incarceration. You have no weapons inside the wire ... only a radio, so you better be able to talk -- to the inmate and to Control -- because that's the only thing that will save your @ss some days.
jphillips
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 1,066 Posts
KitMaker Network: 55 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 11:31 AM UTC
One of my friends worked as a corrections officer for a few years. It's a tough job. This is unhappy news. May this officer rest in peace.