Militaria Forum
For discussions on a range of topics like reenacting, vehicle restoration, and collecting.
Anyone watched Tank Overhaul?
Ironoxide
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 8 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 08:49 AM UTC
I was channel surfing and came across The Military Channel a show called Tank Overhaul. They were overhauling a Panther that had been in a river in Poland since 1944.

I was surprised how hard they said it would be to change a torsion bar on one in the field, being I have had the joy of replacing several myself on a Abrams.
milvehfan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 2,116 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,015 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 01:26 PM UTC
Have seen it a few times, good show, I enjoyed it
tankfixer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 283 Posts
KitMaker Network: 167 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 03:41 PM UTC
I've seen it, it was pretty good. I'm sure it was hard work changing one of those in the field. The M1 was easy to change though in my opinion.
markm
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 590 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 07:35 AM UTC
Saw the one on the panther, sherman and comet. Good shows and tell a little of the history as well.
Ironoxide
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 8 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 10:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I've seen it, it was pretty good. I'm sure it was hard work changing one of those in the field. The M1 was easy to change though in my opinion.

I guess it was easy, the 88 crew lifted the Abrams and showed me how to do it and then sit on the 88 and watched me and another newbie do it while shouting encouraging words to us. saying till we switched a bar or fixed a thrown track we were not tankers, we were posers. It also taught us not to do like the commercial and try to catch air, not to mention the Gunner being slightly upset at us.

If I understood the narrator correctly the Panther crews had to remove 6 road wheels and break both tracks to remove one bar?
Bratushka
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 1,019 Posts
KitMaker Network: 332 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 03:15 PM UTC
i saw that one episode with the Panther and never saw another. i would love to see the collection the guy who was restoring it has. talk about a rich man's hobby! he's got to have a budget and operating costs to rival some corporations!

Visit this Community
entire network: 1,141 Posts
KitMaker Network: 173 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 08:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

i saw that one episode with the Panther and never saw another. i would love to see the collection the guy who was restoring it has. talk about a rich man's hobby! he's got to have a budget and operating costs to rival some corporations!

You can follow the progress of the Littlefield Panther starting HERE. The other Panther featured in Tank Overhaul belonged to Kevin Wheatcroft in the U.K. I hope to have more pics of the Littlefield Panther next week.

There'll be more Tank Overhaul episodes in the near future. I was taking pics at a small private collection in N. California last month when they were filming an upcoming episode.

Chris "toadman" Hughes
Toadman's Tank Pictures
Bratushka
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 09:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

You can follow the progress of the Littlefield Panther starting HERE. The other Panther featured in Tank Overhaul belonged to Kevin Wheatcroft in the U.K. I hope to have more pics of the Littlefield Panther next week.

There'll be more Tank Overhaul episodes in the near future. I was taking pics at a small private collection in N. California last month when they were filming an upcoming episode.

Chris "toadman" Hughes
Toadman's Tank Pictures

thanks for the link and the info. i am looking forward to seeing the series. i'm going to see if Netflix may carry it.
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 6,188 Posts
KitMaker Network: 193 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 20, 2008 - 02:57 AM UTC
I have all of them recorded, so I can probably manage copying the programs for you on DVD if you can't find it. They do plan a part two sometime in the near future, not sure if it concludes those projects or other vehicles.

The M18 was pretty much finished.

Jeff
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, June 20, 2008 - 04:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have all of them recorded, so I can probably manage copying the programs for you on DVD if you can't find it. They do plan a part two sometime in the near future, not sure if it concludes those projects or other vehicles.

Jeff

I'm sure they'll do a part 2 on the Panthers. They'll just have to wait until they're finished. It's safe to say that when the Littlefield Panther is rolled out of the shop, History Channel, Discovery Channel, etc. will be there to film it. I know I will!

Chris "toadman" Hughes
Toadman's Tank Pictures
Bratushka
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Friday, June 20, 2008 - 06:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jeff

thanks Jeff. i'd like to take you up on that if i can't find it any other place.
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Friday, June 20, 2008 - 08:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Jeff

thanks Jeff. i'd like to take you up on that if i can't find it any other place.

No problem, just PM me and let me know.

Jeff
FalkeEins
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 868 Posts
KitMaker Network: 46 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 01:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm sure they'll do a part 2 on the Panthers. They'll just have to wait until they're finished. It's safe to say that when the Littlefield Panther is rolled out of the shop, History Channel, Discovery Channel, etc. will be there to film it. I know I will!

Chris "toadman" Hughes

..Chris,

..are you aware of this link ..appears to be a more recent tour of the Littlefield facility...

.http://home.comcast.net/~szee1a/tanks/tanks.html
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 05:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Chris "toadman" Hughes

..Chris,

..are you aware of this link ..appears to be a more recent tour of the Littlefield facility...

.http://home.comcast.net/~szee1a/tanks/tanks.html

Yeah, I've seen his pics before but they were taken last year. The last batch of pics I posted on my site were from May of this year. I'll have more in about two weeks as I'll be spending all of July 12 there.

Chris "toadman" Hughes
Toadman's Tank Pictures
Spiff
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
entire network: 807 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 07, 2008 - 05:29 AM UTC
I was fortunate enough to be able to tour the Jaques Littlefield collection last summer with some of my buddies from the IPMS Reno High Rollers. The collection is simply amazing and if you get the chance to check it out you really should.

I was able to take a lot of pictures and took about 40 of the Panther. It was really cool seeing it, especially after having seen the Tank Overhaul episode about it. I really hope they do a part II when the Panther is finished!
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 12:44 AM UTC
I know from a general audience stand point this might be boring, but I wish they would spend more time on what repairs they are performing and actually working on the vehicles in that short hour, than showing all the WWII clips.

After all, they are overhauling it. But I have to admit the storyline with the tanker on the Hellcat was pretty inspiring.

It would be great to see Jaques Littlefield's collection but I am on the wrong side of the country.
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 07:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It would be great to see Jaques Littlefield's collection but I am on the wrong side of the country.

At least you can have the virtual view of it with sites like mine!

Chris "toadman" Hughes
Toadman's Tank Pictures
jointhepit
Visit this Community
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
entire network: 3,829 Posts
KitMaker Network: 48 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 10:33 AM UTC
go to you tube , look for the user ZXwar
http://www.youtube.com/user/zxwar

the full version of that show, incredible how much work they did,and how much money,but hey I guess the guy wasn't "poor" seeing his "shed for the tankhobby"

Greetz Tha Pit
martyncrowther
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,548 Posts
KitMaker Network: 91 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 07:22 AM UTC
ive seen them aswell i like it how they gave the history on the panther good program