_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Who is your favorite model manufacturer?
Bratushka
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 1,019 Posts
KitMaker Network: 332 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 15, 2008 - 06:46 AM UTC
When I was a kid and first built models there was Aurora, Revell, and Monogram. I remember AMT and MPC coming in the scene and later IMC. Some of them made kits far more detailed and just looked better when done. I remember the first Tamiya kits I built and marvelled at pieces that fit together so well the joints would all but disappear when assembled. This was my first experience with precision kits compared to what I was used to.

Since getting back into models a few years back I have been disappointed by some supposed high-end kits, especially with aircraft models I bought. Parts were too fragile to withstand much handling but still required as much if not more cleanup than any resin kit I had ever seen. Some companies seemed to hinge more on limited production runs than kit quality. It's a true testament to the ability of the modellers who tackle these and produce the great pieces they do. It's sure not any help from the manufacturer that's responsible for their art.

As I migrated towards armor and other military vehicles and started reading a lot about various kits I began to learn that some brands I thought were first rate were so-so at best. Others brands were said to be dated while some I was not familiar with at all were revered. Some are said to be best avoided. Many comments in many different places.

That said, what brand name AFV and soft skin vehicle models are your favorites? Are there any eras where the kits are/were better or worse than current releases? I know enough skill can overcome any shortcomings so please call things for what they are. I am very anxious to read the responses and reasons.
Eismann
Visit this Community
Ireland
entire network: 30 Posts
KitMaker Network: 10 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 15, 2008 - 07:02 AM UTC
Hi Jim
I'm just back to the hobby and am almost finished building the second of my two Trumpeter Models, the E10 (finished) and the E25(work in progress). The Trumpeter kits make for good 'return' kits and are priced really well.
Now I've several Dragon kits in waiting. The premuim models are particularly good IMO. They're more complicated(lots more parts), but have the potential to look incredible when finished. I've also bought extra PE for some of them. I have Dragon King Tiger premium, Jagdpanther, Jagdtiger premium, Panther D premium, Su100 premium and Panzer MkIV E 3in1 kits. There are lots of kit reviews on the net if you google for them, including right here.
I started on Airfix and the occasional Revell.
John
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 3,608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 512 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 15, 2008 - 07:44 AM UTC
I started my armor odyssey with 1/48 Bandai armor in the late 60's, then graduated to Tamiya. But I have to say that today my favorite manufacturer is without a doubt Dragon. The quality, subjects, and engineering are just what I want in a kit. Plus, they are completely unrivalled at what's in the box, it's just unheard of with other manufacturers.
The kit - $39.99 (which would be $60 if it were a Tamiya kit, so "worth $60").
Aluminum Barrel - $20
Indy tracks - $30
Metal cables - $10
Small PE - $15
Opening a Dragon kit gives you that "Christmas morning" feeling.
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
entire network: 3,377 Posts
KitMaker Network: 925 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 15, 2008 - 08:27 AM UTC
Whoever makes the vehicle i want to build - I dont have any preferances and mostly look at subject and quality.

Of newer brands i have good things (and af few bad) to say about AFV, Tamiya, Bronco, Hobby Boss, Tristar, Tasca, Dragon, miniart, Masterbox, Hasegawa etc.

Only Italeri is very mixed emotions ...
Jasonbee71
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 686 Posts
KitMaker Network: 74 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 15, 2008 - 08:40 AM UTC

I tend to stick with Tamiya simply because I find the instructions extremely easy to follow, and their kits build into a decent replica straight from the box. That doesn't mean I haven't got any others in the stash, but they're mostly Tamiya.

Jason
Bratushka
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 15, 2008 - 10:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I started my armor odyssey with 1/48 Bandai armor in the late 60's, then graduated to Tamiya. But I have to say that today my favorite manufacturer is without a doubt Dragon. The quality, subjects, and engineering are just what I want in a kit. Plus, they are completely unrivalled at what's in the box, it's just unheard of with other manufacturers.
The kit - $39.99 (which would be $60 if it were a Tamiya kit, so "worth $60").
Aluminum Barrel - $20
Indy tracks - $30
Metal cables - $10
Small PE - $15

Total market value - $135
Dragon's price - $39.99
You just can't even debate against that.
Opening a Dragon kit gives you that "Christmas morning" feeling.

My first exposure to Dragon/DML kits were their WWI aircraft series Knights of the Sky. I thought they were the best quality model airplanes I had ever seen, much better than the Blue Max series which, while pricey, seemed poorly made fitment-wise. The first Dragon armor kit I got was the Tiger initial production kit and I was pretty impressed with the contents. I chased down a kit after getting a copy of the Osprey Masterclass book on Armour Modelling by John Prigent. It was the first build project and looked really impressive. I really liked the understated weathering he finished the build with. The subsequent Dragon kits I have purchased also seem very good.
Bratushka
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 15, 2008 - 10:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Jim
I'm just back to the hobby and am almost finished building the second of my two Trumpeter Models, the E10 (finished) and the E25(work in progress). The Trumpeter kits make for good 'return' kits and are priced really well.
Now I've several Dragon kits in waiting. The premuim models are particularly good IMO. They're more complicated(lots more parts), but have the potential to look incredible when finished. I've also bought extra PE for some of them. I have Dragon King Tiger premium, Jagdpanther, Jagdtiger premium, Panther D premium, Su100 premium and Panzer MkIV E 3in1 kits. There are lots of kit reviews on the net if you google for them, including right here.
I started on Airfix and the occasional Revell.
John

I just ordered the Trumpeter visible ME 262 1/32 scale aircraft kit. I think I have one or two trumpeter kits in my stash but it was a name I was not familiar with. Seeing the raves about the 262 I hope their armor kits are as worthy of praise.
Bratushka
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 15, 2008 - 11:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Whoever makes the vehicle i want to build - I dont have any preferances and mostly look at subject and quality.

Of newer brands i have good things (and af few bad) to say about AFV, Tamiya, Bronco, Hobby Boss, Tristar, Tasca, Dragon, miniart, Masterbox, Hasegawa etc.

Only Italeri is very mixed emotions ...

I have never owned a kit by Bronco, Tasca, Miniart, or Master box. I have some AFV kits and a few of the others, but the largest segment of my collection is Tamiya. It seems they have more kits than anybody else. I also get the impression they keep reissuing some of the older ones again and again, often without improvements or extras.

I have one Italeri kit that a self propelled gun that is going to be used for a recovery vehicle conversion build. I had heard before that some of their kits were OK but others made Aurora kits of old seem top notch.

Haswega I am more familiar with from my aircraft interests. Have you ever had any experience with Alan?
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 3,608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 512 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 09:14 AM UTC
Jim,
I have many Alan kits. They are old school Eastern European. All flat panels, clunky parts, and every kit requires some scratchbuilding. Be prepared to do some work but they are buildable.
Bratushka
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 11:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jim,
I have many Alan kits. They are old school Eastern European. All flat panels, clunky parts, and every kit requires some scratchbuilding. Be prepared to do some work but they are buildable.

I just aquired their Bison I and Bison II kits. I haven't looked at the contents yet. Alan was the only manufacturer that kept showing up when I searched for those particular vehicles. I bought a few other Eastern made kits on a close-out from Internet Hobbies a month or two ago. When they arrived I thought at first I had mistakenly ordered 1/48 kits because the boxes were so tiny compared to the AFV, Dragon, and Tamiya boxes I am accustomed to. But, the vehicles they represented were pretty small as far as AFVs go and they were 1/35. I gave them a cursory once over at it looked OK but the real proof is in the building. I am not a big fan of large single piece track with the individual links to go around the idlers and sprockets. While I haven't built a large number of tracked kits, my few encounters with them have been less than gratifying and these had them. Regardless, the kits were inexpensive enough that if they prove too problematic they can be used as technique practice kits without too much loss.

Also arriving today was an M4 HST from Hobby Boss. It was on sale at Squadron. When I got the idea to do Oddball's Sherman from watching Kelly's Heros again recently there was a part where an officer had found a small yacht he planned on sending back to the States. There is a shot where an M4, or some variant, is pulling the trailered vessel away. (There are really a lot of military vehicles in that movie!) I thought it was pretty cool looking and then I came across the sale. I believe this may be my first Hobby Boss kit. It looked to be packed pretty full.
 _GOTOTOP