Soldier Stories
Served in the military? Discuss your time and experiences here.
Hosted by Dave Willett
What punishment do you usually get?
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 08, 2003 - 02:34 AM UTC
Just curious about your military life. Ussually, I get 20-100 squat thrust daily when I was still in my high school life. The next would probably be push ups.

Do your officers do physical punishments like punching, etc?
Is it illegal to do those?
lonewolf
Visit this Community
entire network: 478 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 11, 2003 - 06:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Just curious about your military life. Ussually, I get 20-100 squat thrust daily when I was still in my high school life. The next would probably be push ups.

Those are classified, dude...

The punishments would depend upon the gravity of your offense...
shonen_red
Visit this Community
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 12, 2003 - 02:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Those are classified, dude...

The punishments would depend upon the gravity of your offense...

Is that so? Just quite curious. Sorry, I don't know it was classified. :-) :-)
Peace out!
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 2,606 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 12, 2003 - 05:34 AM UTC
In Italy no physical punishment are allowed/in use. Punisment is given on the base of how serious is the fault/offense. It can go from a single day without going out after working hours up to life prison. I remember that in my first year ad a cadet in the army academy I've accumulated a total of 147 days of punishment...
Ciao
Demsul
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
entire network: 29 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 12, 2003 - 10:07 PM UTC
In the US Air Force depends on what you do. It can be as light as a Letter of Counciling all the way up to Court Martial. Beatings, physical punishment etc is a no no. When I first came in the maintenance personnel (at least weapons load crews) had "truck briefings". Some one screwing up, not doing whats right, they received a "truck Briefing". A truck briefing is when you have three or four load crews in the back of a truck and the offending person is piled on and given a few wacks. Usually the offender would straighten up afterwards. There was also "wall to wall" counciling. Those days are long gone now.
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 21, 2003 - 06:55 AM UTC
although very naughty when i was in basic training or troop NCO's would punch ect you we used to be given exersizes called gun drills which we were given by the 100's these would make your knees swell up and make them very stiff for days you couldn't go sick as the cause would have come out and although not your fault you'd be getting poo-poo from the other PS our cpl also used to take you in the dyring room and have you do all sorts with a treestump the dyring room was very hot and humid he'd keep you in there for bout an hour at a time,. On other ways you'd get change parade this could be punishment on it's own for with others added to it at certain times of the evening you'd turn up at the guard room in whatever dress and be inspected then you'd go away and come back later or 10 mins later if it was crap they could keep you busy till 12am then have you back at 06.30 for it again, I have also known lads to have to take their full locker on a trolly to the g/room to be inspected
you'd also get "beasted" which was doing drill very fast for a period off time and if you were in detention you'd have to do this with no laces in your boots,you could also be fined money from your wages as well or get restrion of privallges ie no drinking going out and doing crap jobs, soldiers who were given a period in the camp jail were given loads of crap jobs weeding with a butter knife ect had no money for the time in jail ect weren't allowed to speak to thier mates (were taken into cook house at earlier sittings or kept away from the rest of the lads were also given extra pt which was always very hard sessions and had to have their kit laid out on bed every moning and boot had to be gleeming, or you could just be given extra duties such as guard duty dvr ect
lucky for me I never went into jail, or anything nasty had some gundrill given some show parades and few extra duties in all not too bad
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 730 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 10:10 AM UTC
my dad was a drill instructor and NEVER gave anyone physical punishment, he might have been hard AND STILL IS :-) :-) !!! but never gave any1 physical punishment, well....let me say this never gave fellow soldiers phys. punishment although he did 'crack some skulls' while he was on embassy duty (mexico,nigera, moscow)

when he was a di, the only physical thing that happened to the recruits was what they did to themselves i think he said he had like...3 recruits commit suicide under his command....i think...
but back to the subject, he also said phys. punishment was a no no

CACMAN
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 22 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 09:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

"On other ways you'd get change parade"

"beasted"

Our "Change parade" was called "Show Parade" at the ATR i was at.....nasty things i had it a couple of times, (i think nearly everyone got it at some point) we had things like having to show a set of '95s every half hour to show they were still ironed correctly......and no matter if it was after the fifth time he would then say they wern't, and you would have to iron them again..i remeber one guy had his Bed on Show parade, and the duty NCO came in every hour to check it was still made correctly!!!..

Beasted......"i love the smell of beasting in the morning"......well actually i didnt..."ragged" was another expresion for Beasting at my ATR,

also did anyone else ever fear the words "Stand by", all the time, "youd better get that sorted or, Stand by!!!!" (i removed the explicets :-) )

we also had the Term "get massive" (no not some Ali G tribute) this was things like Press ups or sit ups, or extra time down the gym, or a run round the Airfield (disused i might add).
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 489 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 06, 2004 - 02:55 AM UTC
The most common form of "punishment" in my basic training days was to knock out push ups. Ten at a time. Do ten , thank the DI for making my body beautiful, ask permission to recover. If he was satisfied we could recover (get up from prone position) if not ... ten more and repeat request. Of course this was for minor offenses such as unshined boots, doing something wrong courtesy wise etc. Physical punishment was out of the question.

For real offenses, such as theft, assault, AWOL etc, then you have to deal with the UCMJ at your commanders discretion. The punishments under the UCMJ range from extra duty via Article 13 to prison sentences from court martial. I am uncertain about capital punishment in the US forces. It might be there ,but I can't recall it being used since WWII. Any of the former CO's out there would be more informed about using the UCMJ.
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 07, 2004 - 02:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

"On other ways you'd get change parade"

"beasted"

Our "Change parade" was called "Show Parade" at the ATR i was at.....nasty things i had it a couple of times, (i think nearly everyone got it at some point) we had things like having to show a set of '95s every half hour to show they were still ironed correctly......and no matter if it was after the fifth time he would then say they wern't, and you would have to iron them again..i remeber one guy had his Bed on Show parade, and the duty NCO came in every hour to check it was still made correctly!!!..

Beasted......"i love the smell of beasting in the morning"......well actually i didnt..."ragged" was another expresion for Beasting at my ATR,

also did anyone else ever fear the words "Stand by", all the time, "youd better get that sorted or, Stand by!!!!" (i removed the explicets :-) )

we also had the Term "get massive" (no not some Ali G tribute) this was things like Press ups or sit ups, or extra time down the gym, or a run round the Airfield (disused i might add).

we had a lad in basic who had to take is whole locker down to the guard room
for inspection. beatings ect were a no no but still happened even if it was other
recruits who dished them out, "regimental baths" were also carried out this is
were a squaddie is gripped because of his hygine ect and thrown into a bath full
of allsorts soap,washing power urine ect and "washed" with bass brooms
not nice lad in the troop upstairs from us got one he reported it to his troop nco's
and the whole troop got a hell of a punishment pt session until they dropped for
doing it to him he also got beasted along with them for being a snitch,

our show parades in training were a bit different every 1/2-1 hour they'd have to
report back in a different dress, working then no2's then Pt kit, then combats
with full webbing and respirator these would also have to be clean, some times
they were on show parade up to midnight then back again at 06.30 for a final
inspection this could last for a few days if the lad was ok you'd give him a hand to
press his kit/ shine his boots ect but if he was an arse you'd just sit back and watch
him struggle not nice but we had people how no matter how we tried to help them
just didnt bother so we just gave up on them and stopped bailing them out
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 532 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 07, 2004 - 08:40 PM UTC
During my year of army draft as an officer, I hardly ever gave punishment : all soldiers were draftees too, and they didn't ask to be in the army. When they messed up badly, they were reported and got official punishment. The only "personal" punishment I sometimes gave was to wash my land rover (when it needed cleaning), or make them do useful things during the cantine opening hours. Some of this guys just needed to be kept away from the canteen for their own good. At several occasions, I caught them in the cantine racing eachother who was the fastest to empty a full bottle of Martini ! (yuk!)
Our own 5 months officers training was a different story, though. Richard Gere's treatment in an Officer and a Gentleman was a picnic compared to what we went through.
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 4,287 Posts
KitMaker Network: 824 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 01, 2004 - 02:32 PM UTC
As a former Drill Sergeant I can say that we had our fare share of "moments in the sun". When push ups and the like didnt seem to do the trick we devised other ways to get "joe's" attention. As I was the primary instructor for hand to hand combat, I would find my problem "child/children" and no matter how hard he tried to perform the drill, he couldnt seem to get it right.. At this point I was only more than willing to demonstrate the "proper" way of executing the drill. At 6'3" and 235lbs I had a lot going for me not to mention the evil that the "Smokey " hat generates. Once "joe" got the message, I very rarely had any further problems.
Once I left being a DS, I had some problems soldiers as well. DUI, drugs etc. Couldnt use the hand to hand method any longer so I went to to the water can method. The "offender" would have either 1 or 2 five gallon water cans filled to capacity. If it was just 1 can, he would low crawl with the can in front of him usually about 25' and then turn around. This would continue while I made sure the he understood the error of his ways and that I was "displeased" if you will, with his behavior. If by chance they drew the 2 can method of "self realization", they would merely carry the 2 cans about 35-40' and then return. Again, the entire time being "talked to" by me. You be amazed at how fast a person breaks a sweat while executing these manuvers!! If these didnt stop the guys, then it was on to UCMJ and or Court Martial.
There is only one time that I can say might fall into physical punishment. I caught a kid eating donuts in the back of the mess hall. It was a nice big 2 dozen box of chocolate covered Krispy Kremes. Yummy. He had only eaten one when I caught him. He denied it, but when I pointed out the chocolate smeered from ear to ear he owned up to it. I had him take the remaining box of 23 donuts out to the eating area. I then sat him down and told him to finish the box. He started to get up when I asked him where he was going. He wanted some milk!! Since he didnt seem to need it inthe back, he didnt need it out here. He commenced to eating and made it to about 13 when he had to go and purge. He came back and started in again. Once he was finished (without puking) I took him out and introduced him the some side straddle hops (Jumping Jacks). You can imagine where it went from there. Never laid a hand on him, and he never asked about donuts again.."Q"
AVRE165
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 181 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 06:12 AM UTC
hi

yes i did a stint as a training NCO , long time ago.

Changing parades, Drill parades ,beasting they all seemed easy now but the one i always remember and hate is this.

i had been driving a Centurion Bridgelayer for about 72 hrs non-stop, i opted to do the first stint of Guard Duty so i could sleep right through..
lucky enough it was on exersise and i remember my tank commander comming up to me must have been about 10 minutes actualy it was a hour i had dropped off to sleep, he said my punishment or orders. now normaly it was buy his papers for a week which was all of them or round the back in the worse case for a quick thump. said ok i take yours , ok off to bed he said see you in the morning. which was our day off.
after breakfast he called the troop togeather and asked for a volenteer.
volenteer was to make sure that nobody spoke to me or helped me, no food etc. my punshment was to dig with a shovel
a 6ft x 6ft x 6ft hole. dead square. got down to about 4feet when he came up said get out and get the AVRE started so i did i then refilled the hole. by the way it was Soltua trainging area.
i was sore for ages. never again. learnt my leason the hard way.

ossie

mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 3,836 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,121 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 16, 2004 - 07:00 AM UTC
If my children did'nt laugh at me, i'd hand out a few to them. :-) :-)