_GOTOBOTTOM
Photography
Questions about shooting your models and dioramas? Ask here.
Advice on Digital cameras.
Stormin
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 232 Posts
KitMaker Network: 49 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 05, 2003 - 06:30 AM UTC
Hi guys & ladies,
I've recently joined Armorama and would like some advice on buying a digital camera for taking pics of my models as I do them so I can post them on here for some feedback. As I don't have one at the moment any advice would be greatly received. One thing is that I'm not working:( , so it will have to be one at the cheaper end of the range.
Look forward to hearing from you's,
Kenny.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 05, 2003 - 06:40 AM UTC
Best thing is to go to a store that has several on display and see how they feel. The most important thing for doing model pics is the ability to take macro shots, i.e., extreme close ups. SInce you won't be able to use a flash this close up, having automatic white balance will be important as well. Also, if you're planning to use this for posting on-line rather than doing enlargments, a lower megapixel rating will be able to save you some money. Make sure you have a tripod screw ceceptacle in the base, because you are going to be shooting static pictures (as opposed to picture where you'd be panning.) It's your call whether to get one with both a viewfinder and a display on the back. For closeups at contests, the screen is good but can be very faded out in very bright light. I'd suggest a camera with some sort of removable memory (floppy disk/memory stick adaptor {Sony} or memory card). The last consideration is how you will transfer your pictures to your computer. Make sure you have USB connections or a port for the type of memory card you'll be getting.
cfbush2000
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
entire network: 1,796 Posts
KitMaker Network: 479 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 05, 2003 - 01:20 PM UTC
Al just about covered it all. The only thing I can add is be sure you have a timer built in. Then you can set up the shot and the pic will be taken about 10 seconds after you press the shutter button. This eliminates shaking (a good thing for an old guy like me).
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 05, 2003 - 02:16 PM UTC
More of my two cents worth
Cent 1 - See Al's post
Cent 2 - See Cent 1
Stormin
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 232 Posts
KitMaker Network: 49 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 11:37 PM UTC
Thanks guys,
I will take careful note of what you have said, so when I do go hunting I at least know something about it. I knew somebody here would be able to tell it like it is rather than a sales person trying to sell me something that is really no good to me.
Cheers, Kenny.
P.S. Once I've bought one I'll get a few pics sent in to get feedback on what I'm building.
herberta
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 939 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 11:46 PM UTC
Hi Al's post is very good, and you can see replies to similar questions by doing a search.

I recommend getting some optical zoom too! Digital zoom is nothing but making things bigger by blowing them up. You can do that on your computer! Optical zoom preserves resolution when you zoom in. It makes a big difference. It'll also narrow down your choices a lot!

It all depends what you want to spend. I bought an Olympus Camedia 150. It has 'only' 1 megapixel, but 3X optical zoom. You can use regular AA batteries in a pinch, and I bought it in a package with a 32MB flash card, a case, USB cable, a set of rechargeable batteries (essential) and a charger. Remember, most cameras inlcude the camera and a bit more, but you will need to have the cash for stuff like memory etc.

Some cameras can use a mini hard drive. Very cool. For work last year, we got a Casio with a 512MB removeable hard drive. You never have to worry about running out of film!!!

Good luck
Andy
Grasshopp12
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 205 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 07, 2003 - 03:41 PM UTC
Kenny, maybe I can help. I sell digi cameras when not in school or modelling. Pretty much, a lot of the features are similar at the different price levels. What to look out for firstly is the number of megapixels. 2 MP is good for a maximum of 5"x7", 3 MP is good for a max of 8"x10", 4 MP is good for a max of 11"x 14", and 5 MP can do up to 20"x 30" (sorry I didn't do the conversions for you).

Next up is the list of features. Mentioned above was the macro mode, this is GREAT for close up detail shots, however, make sure the camera is very still (brace it/use a tripod) and beware of your light (all cameras have an auto mode which is decent, as you step up in price you can get more adjustability which will let you be more creative with your pictures (adjusting F-Stop, Apetures, etc). Other maodes to look for include, but aren't limited to sports mode, portrait, landscape, night, and portrait with landscape background.

Zooms. I will reiterate what was said above about optical vs digital zoom. Optical brings you closer, digital takes the close image and stretches it. Unless you are going to get a camera with high MP counts for use printing small pics, AVOID THIS FEATURE LIKE THE PLAGUE. It causes your pics to be very grainy and, as such, they look awful.

On the topic of zooms. You will notice that most cameras have an optical zoom of about 3x and a digital of around 4x. Some cameras out there, like the Fuji Finepix 3800 and the Nikon Coolpix 5700 have a larger zoom (6x and 8x respectively). This is great for getting up close, but it takes forever to autofocus. Another downside of cameras with a huge zoom like this is the fact that if you or your subject move slightly (and I'm talking literally millimeters here), the picture will be very blurry and essentially useless. I would only reccomend a camera like this to someone who is using it for still life shots only.

Memory is another thing for you to keep in mind. Most cameras out there will come with either an 8MB or a 16MB card in the box. Unfortunately, while these will get you started, they don't hold a whole lot of pictures. Upgrading to at least a 64MB and ideally a 128MB card is reccomended. Depending on the size of the card, memory runs between $30 (32MB) and $180 (512MB) (USD). Also, make sure you buy the appropriate type of memory as there are different formats out there (Compact Flash, Secure Digital, xD, etc). Make sure the salesman tells you which one to get.

Batteries. This varies based on the camera, some are rechargable Li Ion batteries, but many use a good old AA. My personal reccomendation on this one is to get a camera that uses AA batteries. The Li Ion batteries, while they do last a little longer, are expensive and often times a pain in the butt to get. The AAs are easy to get. "But Jeff, why do I want a battery with a shorter life?" you may say. There's a way around this. Buy the rechargable batteries and a charger. Make sure you have enough batteries for at least two full sets (one in the camera, one in the charger, and maybe some extras in your pocket). Rechargable batteries cost about $14 (USD) and a one hour charger costs about $35-$40 (USD). A AA battery in a digi camera with the LCD screen in use often lasts about an hour and a half of active, rapid shooting.

LCD Screens and focusing. LCD screens are nice, they let you see the image you are going to frame without having a camera in your face. They are also a "what you see is what you get setup." I only have on major complaint about LCD screens on a camera...you can't tell if you are truly in focus with a manual focus camera. This is only a problem on a handful of the cameras on the market. Less expensive cameras do not have this feature.

Focusing. The biggest mistake I see when people bring in prints and a new camera and ask me why their pics look so bad has a simple fix. They don't know how to use an auto-focus on a digi camera properly. Most of them require you to push the firing button down halfway, hold it for a second, and then finish pushing it to take the picture. The result of this additional second of time is a much crisper image. Just pushing the button will, generally speaking, give you a blurry image.

After this long winded speech with no direct answers I will offer a few cameras which I have come to like through working with them. You can't go wrong with a Nikon or a Canon. They have excellent lenses and are pretty easy to learn (the Nikon cameras, IMHO, are a little easier and are more intuitive). You can get a 2MP Canon A60 for around $250 USD, and if you wanted to step it up a bit, I'd go with the 3.2MP Canon A70 for around $300 (USD). In terms of the Nikons (which I personally like their offerings in this level a little better), I'd recommend the Nikon Coolpix 2100 which goes for about $250 (USD).

Another company which offers some more economical (and also a couple super-cool accessories) while not skimping on the lenses is Kodak. You will give up a lot of the extra features and modes, but you will still have a very solid, functional camera. In terms of which Kodak cameras I like, I give props to the CX4200 ($150), CX4230 ($200), DX6340 ($330), and, my personal favorite of this lot, the LS443 which most retailers sell including the dock (see below) for around $380.

Kodak has two accessories that I wish all the other companies would offer as well. One is the Photo Dock. I can best compare this to the cradle of a cordless phone. When the camera is placed on it the Dock charges the batteries and accelerates loading pictures into your computer (when it's hooked up to your computer). This is only available for use with Kodak cameras. The dock is $80 (USD)

Another little device we just got in the store a few days ago is Kodak's new print dock, and let me tell you, this thing is SWEET!!! For about $200 (USD) you can take this home. It prints 4"x6" photos in about 90 seconds. When I first saw it, I honestly was a bit skeptical, but after trying it out, I fell in love. It prints the photo and coats it so it is archive quality for 75 yrs. In terms of the image itself, you wouldn't know that a photo shop didn't print your pictures. It's that good. Take note though, this only works with a few of their cameras (CX/DX6000 and LS6000 series cameras specifically).

Wow, this is by far the longest post I've ever made on this site. I hope this helps you a bit, and if anyone has any questions, feel free to post here or send me a PM, I'll do my best to help you out. Obviously you don't have to buy everything at once, I know the whole camera thing gets very expensive quickly, but in the long run, it is much cheaper than 35mm film/SLR cameras. Let me know how you do in your hunt for a camera and if you have any specific questions about a specific camera, digital photography in general, or anything I didn't cover, fire a PM my way and I'll see what I can do.

Happy hunting!!!
Marty
Visit this Community
entire network: 2,312 Posts
KitMaker Network: 871 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 24, 2003 - 10:08 AM UTC
Hey Jeff that's quite a post. :-) Can you tell me how much you guys sell Nikon Coolpix 5700 for? I am just cureous because I have seen it as high as $1400 and as low as $800.
Mar-74
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
entire network: 679 Posts
KitMaker Network: 166 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 24, 2003 - 10:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

In terms of the Nikons (which I personally like their offerings in this level a little better), I'd recommend the Nikon Coolpix 2100 which goes for about $250 (USD).

Hi stormin,
Like you i was after a digital camera and knew nothing about them, all the information is on here. I boughtthe nikon coolpix 2100 2 days ago and even though i dont know all its features yet i love it. already taken hoardes of photos and posted them on the net, its so easy.
I decided on this camera after visiting a camera shop , tried a general electrical retailer first and thought they didnt know enough for the amount i was going to spend!
Once i knew what make and model i wanted i searched the net for the cheapest site. The camera was £199 in the shop. I found a site that would do the camera for £178. But i opted for the £199 package and got a larger memory card, a tripod (small one!), some soft ware and some free prints and free next day delivery ( and the standard rechargeable batteries).
It might sound expensive but the way i see it is that it will pay for its self sooner or later because i have no more devolping fees, battery and film buying.
If you want the site address for this company pm me and i'll give it to you. im more than happy with them.
Grasshopp12
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 25, 2003 - 02:18 AM UTC
Marty - We fall right in the middle and carry the 5700 for $1,100. I'll tell you this, the 5700 is an excellent camera (one of my supervisors has one) and I'd reccommend it to anyone.
Marty
Visit this Community
entire network: 2,312 Posts
KitMaker Network: 871 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 04, 2003 - 05:02 AM UTC
Thanks Jeff. Yes, I know that the 5700 is an awesome camera. Still $1100 is steep. I need to convince my wife that we really, really need it and then who knows...
Grasshopp12
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 04, 2003 - 05:25 AM UTC
I might be a little easier to sell her on the notion of the Canon Powershot G3. It's 4 MP, 4x Optical zoom and does everything but bring you morning coffee. I have one and love it!!! It goes for about $650 and is worth every penny. You do sacrifice some zoom (4x vs the 5700's 8x) and a little resolution (4 MP vs the 5700's 5 MP), but other than that they are pretty comparable. One thing to keep in mind about cameras with large optical zooms is that it does take a bit longer to autofocus, and on some they are EXTREMELY sensitive to movement, both on your part and your subjects part. Neither of these cameras have major problems when it comes to using the autofocus at full zoom.

You might want to check out www.dpreview.com and look at the reviews of some of the cameras they have there. They have around 20 pages of info on the G3 and the 5700. They also have photos taken with each camera, so you can do a little side by side comparison.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 04, 2003 - 05:39 AM UTC
Jeff - your posts in this thread are extremely helpful! Thank you for sharing that knowledge. I feel I know where to look to get my next digital camera now.

Gunnie
Grasshopp12
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 04, 2003 - 07:11 AM UTC
Thanks for the compliment Gunnie!!! Glad to know that I've helped.
 _GOTOTOP