_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Modeling & Money
Envar
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
entire network: 1,088 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 14, 2002 - 05:47 AM UTC
Hey! This must be a real turn-off for a topic, but IŽll post it anyway.
While wandering through endless shelves filled with all kinds of very special EXPENSIVE hi-fi modeling stuff and after seeing all the magnificent dioramas in this site, just thought that the sum of money spent in modeling must be quite big, especially in larger projects?
The ideal situation with any hobby would be that you donŽt have to think what it costs. On the other hand, you are ready to pay for your dearest things in life.
Have you had problems facing The Idea vs. Wallet?

Toni
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 14, 2002 - 05:54 AM UTC
It is nice to have a job that covers expenses. It also helps if you have no other bad habits or vices to compete for your discretionary income. I don't drink, gamble, smoke or play a round (of golf ), so all my "spare" money can go into modeling.
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 14, 2002 - 05:57 AM UTC
E v e r y d a y Toni!
It takes a little restraint and control to seperate between "wants", "desires", and "needs". And certainly the Mrs. doesn't let those lines blur too much too often.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 14, 2002 - 06:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It is nice to have a job that covers expenses. It also helps if you have no other bad habits or vices to compete for your discretionary income. I don't drink, gamble, smoke or play a round (of golf;)), so all my "spare" money can go into modeling.

Sounds like a nice balance you've got there Rob...no vices huh? Maybe we should start calling you 'Father' Sabot, man of the cloth !?! :-)

Me, most of my money goes to my familes needs. With a family of 6 the majority of mail I get from the postman are BILLS. But your point is accurate. I generally don't 'throw' my money away on losing propositions. One might think of a hobby as a 'losing' proposition when put under strict scrutiny, but actually, the opposite is true. The investment of time and money we spend on our hobby has a direct positive affect on our mental well being.
That gentlemen, is a priceless commodity in todays plethora of 'bad news' concerns.

Tread.

sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 14, 2002 - 06:31 AM UTC
I have no remorse spending the old ladies money after I spend mine also I am still married to ex. Living with my girlfriend, Wonder what would happen if she died would I get the house or would her kids? After her husband died last Jan her son was over here taking dads guns, ATV Honda, golf clubs , snap on tool box, hunting clothes,shoes belts had a really nice alligator belt with silver on it. But I have been going out with her about 3 years now and living with her for about 17 months. So what you think on that.
Not armor related but a part of life.
Latter if I rambled a little to much must be the Crown kicking in
Tin_Can
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 1,560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 344 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 14, 2002 - 06:37 AM UTC
Price is always a factor that becomes part of the equation when purchasing items for my modeling hobby. Aside from the usual family type stuff (mortgage, car, food, clothes, bills, kids extracurricular stuff and taking care of the dog) I am still very frugal when it comes to purchasing modeling stuff. Take my current project for instance. It's an F-18 from AMT/ERTL that is by far one of the worst kits I've ever worked on but I picked it up because I got it for half-price ($9) and it creates a challenge in that I have to work hard and expand on my skills to salvage a good looking finished product. In the end it all compliments one another I guess.
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 1,561 Posts
KitMaker Network: 485 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 14, 2002 - 06:39 AM UTC
I've got a budget war going on. The hard part for me is actually building up funds to buy the bigger parts of the hobby (airbrush and compressor), instead of buying the half-dozen kits I've had my eye(s) on. I got my first paycheck from my first job yesterday (and what a welcome sight it was!). So, I'm trying to prevent myself from ordering a few TIE fighters because I know that I'll be able to build a better model with that airbrush....
Oh, yeah. There's this other little hobby of mine that I just have got to buy stuff for; Star Wars!

YodaMan
penpen
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
entire network: 1,757 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 14, 2002 - 06:46 AM UTC
I'm still a bachelor and I live a rather simple life with few expenses... so no one's looking over my shoulder at the price of that cool kingtiger...
But still, i try to buy as much from people selling their kits away. It's cheaper than model shops. so as to dios, thers's a lot you can do with cardboard, styrene, plaster, tissues...
that helps save a lot of money !

penpen
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 14, 2002 - 07:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I've got a budget war going on. The hard part for me is actually building up funds to buy the bigger parts of the hobby (airbrush and compressor), instead of buying the half-dozen kits I've had my eye(s) on. I got my first paycheck from my first job yesterday (and what a welcome sight it was!). So, I'm trying to prevent myself from ordering a few TIE fighters because I know that I'll be able to build a better model with that airbrush....
Oh, yeah. There's this other little hobby of mine that I just have got to buy stuff for; Star Wars!

YodaMan

are you saving for that retirement
Me I live it day by day might be gone tomorrow. my old man thinks the world is nearing an end. But heck he is 85 this nov. so go figure
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 14, 2002 - 08:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Price is always a factor that becomes part of the equation when purchasing items for my modeling hobby. Aside from the usual family type stuff (mortgage, car, food, clothes, bills, kids extracurricular stuff and taking care of the dog) I am still very frugal when it comes to purchasing modeling stuff. Take my current project for instance. It's an F-18 from AMT/ERTL that is by far one of the worst kits I've ever worked on but I picked it up because I got it for half-price ($9) and it creates a challenge in that I have to work hard and expand on my skills to salvage a good looking finished product. In the end it all compliments one another I guess.

Come on LT whats up with that. You got a good deal I spent $45.00 plus for two Su-76 kits from some lame russian company and I am trying to figure out how to rebuild most of the kit to salavage it. I got to hit the only model shop in the Tulas area that has sheet plastic after work and buy me a bunch to replace all this sunken plastic both upper and lower hull parts. Geesh they should have sold this kit for $10.00 will need $10.00 worth of plastic to rebuild it.
cfbush2000
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
entire network: 1,796 Posts
KitMaker Network: 479 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 14, 2002 - 12:18 PM UTC
I got my tax refund Friday and set aside a good part of it for my retirement. Yep, bought a few more kits for the stash, and I'm gonna build them all when I retire.
Like Rob, my hobby is my vise. I spent 23 years in the military, and for most of that time I played drums in bands every weekend (or more). Now I am retired form the military and the Music Biz, work part time in a nursing home, and am content to spend my time at home quietly indulging in my hobby.

HunterCottage
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 1,717 Posts
KitMaker Network: 590 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 14, 2002 - 04:29 PM UTC
I find time the hardest commodity to get a hold of. Lately I'm finding when everything else is done and over with I don't want to do anything!!! I spend most of that time here!!!
ArmouredSprue
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
entire network: 1,958 Posts
KitMaker Network: 720 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 14, 2002 - 08:24 PM UTC
Hi!
As most of people here, I have to be very carefull when money is envolved...Since I live in a country where this hobby isn't so popular, the prices for models here are very expensives (compared to USA....) And now I propose to my self build my stack of models instead of buying more kits, most of my stack are old Tamiya kits, and I'm dealing to model them all...When they're about to finish (It'll take a while :-) ) I'll start think about rebuilting my stack again (full of Tamiya and Dragon new tools )
Otherwise I love to make motorcycle trials and I have to save money for it too!
Cheers!
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 15, 2002 - 05:40 AM UTC
Thankfully, though it took me a really long time to get there, money really isn't an object for me when it comes to modeling. Time is the biggest obstacle, as what I had to do to reach that stage - is what keeps me busy and away from modeling. So, I'm frugal - with both - time and money

Gunnie
BillyBishop
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 347 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 15, 2002 - 12:05 PM UTC
I wish money was not an issue but it is...

I have to agree that though the Stones may sing "Time is on my side" . It really isn't, so I try to be selective with what I do with my time and my money - he says as he surfs the internet

MSW
Bravo-Comm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 525 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 15, 2002 - 10:12 PM UTC
For Me even though I have a job that pays well, The Joy of paying Bll's always takes precedent over my Hobby. So I have to try and space out what kit(s) that I purchase, As well as any new supply items such as Paints or other neccesities. Fortunanetly I already have a
really nice Compressor and Two good Airbrushes. (1) SIngle Action (1) Double Action. (Though I do not have that much experience with the double-action). So for the most part it is just the little things that come into play here. I always wish that I could say that "OH NO IT"S NOT AN ISSUE" "BUT" I'm not rich, And I don't plan on winning at the lottery anytime soon. And much like some of you. I do not have any other vices that would take away from the funds that I use to purchase my hooby items with. So for the most part I do pretty well Always keeping in mind, paythe bill's First. Then you can play. Of course the Wife help's to remind me. But Too I have to say that She supports my hobby. Though, not financially. More of verbal, Advise, etc, etc. So I sort of have the best of both. And it is a welcome thing.

DAGGER : A weapon with a short pointed Blade : "THE CUTTING EDGE"
Greg
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 455 Posts
KitMaker Network: 149 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 15, 2002 - 10:45 PM UTC
Money? Always a factor, but there seems to be enough. Can't tell you how many hundreds I've spent on kits and research materials since deciding last fall to build lots of Shermans, but I'm interested in the stuff and the mix of materials so I buy it. I will, however, soon cull my airplane kit collection to generate revenue and free up storage space. And yes, I've got the usual obligations mentioned above with the exceptions of kids and pets. But really, guys, if you think this hobby is expensive I beg you to reconsider. I consider my modeling and associated library to be the most cost effective hobby I have in terms of dollars spent for hours of enjoyment. And that includes the realization that I will spend something like $150 to build a Firefly Vc when all the resin, aluminum, and research books are tallied up. My wife doesn't complain, it keeps me out of trouble otherwise. What hobby is expensive, you may ask? How about SCCA amateur motorsports? My wife and I do that, too, the Solo 2 autocross program. Tires, brakes, suspension changes, safety gear---guys, THAT gets spendy. An absolute blast, but very expensive in terms of dollars per hour spent. But we don't blink at that, either, because we both love the sport. yes, we're saving for retirement but it is the hobbies that keep us sane.

Greg

Greg
Red4
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,287 Posts
KitMaker Network: 824 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 16, 2002 - 09:21 PM UTC
Saw this and had to repsond before I go wheels up tomorrow morning. I re-started in this hobby in 1992. I had a few kits that I picked up at local contests, learned about using photo etch, resin....yada yada yada. What this has turned into for me is a kit collection now that rivals many smaller hobby shops, some really cool memories, great friend and fellow modelers (Like yourselves) and more than enough trophies/plaques/awards to fill my "I love me room." The wife or household 6 as I call her, has been very supportive through the years. This particular hobby, of which I have many, keeps me out of the nudie bars, which she is all for. Since I don't smoke and very rarely drink those vices aren't concerns for me. Mama makes good $$$ as do I so the bills are paid and the kids are fed. What we have left goes to retirement funds and my hobbies. Seems the wifes work is her hobby (Advanced Healthcare). Between the models, new catchers gear every few years for baseball, hunting, fishing, dirt bikes, power tools for the house, and buying new tactical gear every so often, I guess we spend more than a fair share of $$ on "stuff". The biggest thing we lack.....time. This is the hardest part of any hobby I think. Making enough time to do the things we both love to do. Summers are the hardest as the weather here is beautiful and choosing what we are going to do is so hard. "Lets see, we can ride our bikes to the lake, do some fishing and then hike, ride back so you can play some ball,and then go home so you can build some models with the kids, and play ball with the dog." Rrrriiiigggghhhtttt.. I wouldn't change anything except maybe to lengthen the day a little so I could enjoy the things I do enjoy more. A good friend once told me to enjoy all the things that require me to be active while I can as I always could build models from a wheel chair if it came to that... I feel I'm beginning to rant so I better leave. Since all of you sent so many kind word towards me before I deploy, I have some for all of you. "Where ever you may go, may your skies be blues, the winds be light, and your landings be soft." You all take care and enjoy your hobbies. I'm outta here. "Q"
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 16, 2002 - 09:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I don't drink, gamble, smoke or play a round (of golf ), so all my "spare" money can go into modeling.

I can't believe no one else here plays golf! C'mon, it's healthy to release all your stress by hitting a tiny white ball with a huge club! Unless you think it's stressful to try and launch a ball over 400 yards into a little 4 inch hole......

YodaMan
GunTruck
Visit this Community
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 16, 2002 - 10:14 PM UTC
I play miniature golf - does that count

Gunnie
Tin_Can
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 1,560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 344 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 16, 2002 - 11:35 PM UTC
Whoa now! I love to play golf! Just been layed-up because of ankle surgery but have been swinging the club (don't tell the doc)! :-)
maxpain
Visit this Community
Australia
entire network: 109 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 16, 2002 - 11:52 PM UTC
The more I get into this hobby the more kits I am keen to have/build.. being a student doesn't really help it much and no... I am not going to build Italeri jeep kits only

Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 1,290 Posts
KitMaker Network: 480 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 16, 2002 - 11:55 PM UTC
Yoda Man, I used to play golf, but the cup always seemed more like 1.5" in diameter

I am now financing my hobby from either sales from my stash (kits in which I have lost interest) or my profits from temporary duty. Between my civil service job and Army Reserve duty I travel a lot. If the destination is within reasonable driving distance (Atlanta, Birmingham or Ft. Benning) I'll drive versus flying. I make some extra cash by driving. I must admit some of the money ends up going to increased vehicle maintenance. My '92 Ford Ranger is now at 231,000 + miles and still ticking :-)
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 17, 2002 - 12:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I play miniature golf - does that count

Sure! Mini-golf counts. It's probably a lot less expensive too! You only need one ball for an entire round. Actually I've lost balls mini golfing too. With 'regular' golf the equipment adds up: golf bag, a dozen golf balls per 18 holes (hey, can I help it if any ball I hit has an iresistable attraction to water? :-) ), and new 3-irons when they go flying into a water hazard. (I was nervous, my grip was loose - it was an accident !)
Ranger, yeah it sure does seem like the cup is that small. I suggested to a local course manager that he should open a new course with the cups about a foot in diameter. He was too busy laughing to give feedback on my idea...Your Ranger has 231,000 miles? The total number of miles on the three cars my family's got is about 390,000 miles. Just think; if you were driving in a straight line to the moon, you'd almost be there! (that's a relatively pointless fact)

Quoted Text

being a student doesn't really help it much

I find that being a student gives me less time to work on models than money...

YodaMan
 _GOTOTOP