_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Help with PE bending
tom
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 681 Posts
KitMaker Network: 193 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 02:35 PM UTC
I was wondering what you can use to bend Photo Etch besides the mission models bending tool, or any sort of tool like that. What other methods are there.

At this point i am doing my PE stuff for my MAZ 537 and don't have that tool. But would like to finish my model.There is alot of PE to do on the model yet.

Happy Modeling
Ton
footsie
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 305 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 03:16 PM UTC
have you tried a pair of qtr inch flat nosed model pliers, or a 12 inch steel ruler with double sided tape stick it to your table edge then put a 6 inch steel ruler on top fastened down with 2 spring clips ( 6 inch ruler should be narrower than 12 inch ) then use a scalpel blade with a flat end ( like a chisel ) to fold the brass . hope this helps !!!!!!!!!!!
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 03:42 PM UTC
Tony's nailed to two big ways of bending PE. Easy and available.
flakgunner
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 657 Posts
KitMaker Network: 201 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 10:07 PM UTC
hey,

I picked up a very small pair of needle nosed pliers,but it's not a standard ,straight pair,the needlenose has a bend in it,picked them up at our Ace Hardware(couple bucks),I also use a stiff pair of twizzers,last weekend and stopped at a Hobbyshop,and saw a pair of pliers,just for bending P/E,it was by Tamiya,all most picked them up,but $ was high then I could afford right now,$24.95.

Joe
Uruk-Hai
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 795 Posts
KitMaker Network: 109 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 01:13 AM UTC
Heres a tool I use quite a lot.

Its used for eyebrows and is usually found in cosmetic stores. Note the flat end that gives a good grip for minor photo-etched parts. And the straight edge to bend against.

Flatnosed pliers are good but I use them mostly when sanding of the cut-off marks rather than bending. For larger parts I have the "bug" or plainly use a steel ruler and a razorblad on a cermic tile which I also use for support when cutting the edge of the fret.

Cheers
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
entire network: 3,529 Posts
KitMaker Network: 422 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 03:53 AM UTC
I use an Etch Mate for most of my pieces. But, there are times when a hemostat and tweezers works better.

I have also used a block with a sharp edge and my finger to get some right angles.

_GOTOTOP