_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!
Built a model or part from your own materials lately?
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
Excel Tool for scale measurements from photos
brockolee
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 35 Posts
KitMaker Network: 14 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 12, 2010 - 11:59 AM UTC
David would you please send me a copy of your program,thanks Brock Beckstedt of Norfolk,Va e-mail ([email protected])
Whiskey6
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 408 Posts
KitMaker Network: 179 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 12, 2010 - 05:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

David would you please send me a copy of your program,thanks Brock Beckstedt of Norfolk,Va e-mail ([email protected])

Brock -

I'll send it. This link should work as well.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pTsmT0ICovja1M2IWABmVEA&gmrcpt
brockolee
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 35 Posts
KitMaker Network: 14 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 27, 2010 - 11:14 PM UTC
thanks for your reply if you are ever up here in hampton roads look me up 10=4 over and out,Brock
Whiskey6
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 01, 2010 - 04:31 AM UTC
Brock -

Have you tried the tool? Did it work OK for you?

Dave
pete-on-7
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 9 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 06, 2010 - 09:33 AM UTC
Hi,

Can you send me a copy of the tool.

[email protected]

Thanks
Whiskey6
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, March 06, 2010 - 02:37 PM UTC
Pete -

A copy is on the way via email.

Semper Fi,
Dave
pdelsoglio
Visit this Community
Mendoza, Argentina
entire network: 561 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 18, 2010 - 06:13 AM UTC
Hi there.
That tool seems very useful.
Please, would you send me a copy to

[email protected]

Thanks for your kind answer.
Cheers.
Pablo
Whiskey6
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 18, 2010 - 01:03 PM UTC
Pablo -

The file is in the way now via email.

Semper Fi,
Dave
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 7,219 Posts
KitMaker Network: 981 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 23, 2010 - 04:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

For example a tall or wide building where perspective begins to shorten the image and you need calculation to restore the correct dimensions and then give you a scale equivelant.

Or looking down a street where the perspective gives the shortening of dimensions.

Same effect if you only have a single or series of three-quarter views of a vehicle rather than flat elevation or plan views at 90 degrees to the subject.

Can you cope with problems like this pic where either the vehicle or buildings are at an angle or were on a slope?

For a simple building photo where you don't have the luxury of owning a laser measuring device but you can get a square on image!
From memory one would need to have an idea of the height of the camera from the ground (say eye level of person taking pic).

Assuming a level site, then the distance to a point horizontally on the building (may require to pace or measure this when taking your pictures).

Then using trigonometry to calculate the height or widths of items but allowing for a degree of distortion. I know that you can take a simple angle finder with a simple spirit level like the type used for woodworking, and place it on the same tripod used to take pictures from. Some spirit levels now have a cheap lazer added to them which you can see at great distances (helped by cheap binos).

With an angle (lining along he straight edge at a roof ridge or chimney, and a measured distance from the building you can work out fairly accurate dimensions using SOH, CAH, TOA rules

Computer programmes can factor in for changes of angle and perspective that would be very hard to compute manually.

Would be great to have a simple programme that would work with some cheap tooling.

Any thoughts guys?

Nige

The trig on paper I could do,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, making it into a computer programme??? That is a techy kind of thing!!!!!!!!!!

Intriguing. I've never seen this thread before but your program sounds interesting. As for the question posed above, well, if you don't mind thoughts of a guy who uses wooden mallets and pliers as the tools to "fix" the tools of his trade, namely weapons, here goes...

Let's take your photo as an example. We'll just do the cab since it is not quite in line with the trailer. It could just as easily be a building.

Draw lines across known parallel lines using whichever program you wish. Extend them to a vanishing point. (off screen for this purpose, but it's there)

Now draw diagonals connecting the corners. This gives you the exact center. If you know the measurement from the front to the rear, you now know where the halfway point is, and obviously its measurement.

Now do the same thing again...

This gives you yet another known reference point. You can do this for the front half, and between any two new points you generate. Now here's the kicker: You don't need that many.

You now have a set of known measurements -- the original one which is the lenght of the cab, and those you generated. Let's call those your "X" values.

Now enlarge the photo as much as you can on your screen. The larger you can get it, the more precise you can be. Measure the actual distance on the screen from your first line (representing the front of the truck) to all of your other known points. Use milimeters, inches, whatever. I have a useful metal ruler divided into tenths of an inch. Assign each of these measurements a "Y" value. Make sure each one corresponds to an "X."

Now create an X-Y Co-ordinate plane (remember arguing with your dad that you'd never need this crap because all you needed to know was how to pull a trigger, catch a ball, turn a wrench, whatever...?) on your computer.

Now, the X axis will be in whatever unit of measure you measured the truck with. The Y axis will be whatever you chose -- it does not matter. Graph your X and Y values. It will NOT be linear, but probably look like a half parabola.

How does this help you? All you've done is create a graph!

Okay, choose an item on the truck, building, whatever the case is. Measure it ON YOUR SCREEN. Go to your graph, plot that value, and you'll have your corresponding actual measurement.

There are guys a lot smarter than I who can probably turn this into a program of some sort, but there you go.
Whiskey6
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, March 24, 2010 - 02:02 AM UTC
Rob -

Outstanding!!! That is the kind of conceptual lead I have been looking for! Thank you.

I have been seriously contemplating going back to high school trig classes at my advanced age........it looks like I may be spared that pleasure!

With your permission, I'll try to work your concept into the Excel tool. It may take a while.....my real boss has me repainting a bedroom at this time.

Semper Fi,
Dave
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 24, 2010 - 05:16 AM UTC
You have my permission.

Jus' tryin' to hook a brother up. (or cousin, as they case may be for a Marine)
Whiskey6
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, March 24, 2010 - 05:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jus' tryin' to hook a brother up. (or cousin, as they case may be for a Marine)

We Marines have always known that we were Uncle Sam's illegitimate offspring

Thanks again for saving me from having to choose between re-learning trig or poking myself in the eye with a sharp stick.

Dave
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 24, 2010 - 06:03 AM UTC
For anyone else reading, I just want to add that you can turn the whole process ninety degrees, using the top of the cab as a reference line, and known height. Then you can calculate the height of any features on the cab as well.
 _GOTOTOP