_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
MMIR had To share the Dates
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 01:22 PM UTC
http://www.network54.com/Forum/47211/message/1204816207/Any+word+on+the+new+MMiR-+Sure%21

I am glad as heck.
Kelley
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 1,966 Posts
KitMaker Network: 297 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 01:34 PM UTC
I hope the dates are for real this time, but I sure won't be holding my breath.

Mike
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 03:12 PM UTC
April 1st.......... Hmmmmmmmm
Plasticat
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
entire network: 448 Posts
KitMaker Network: 30 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 04:46 PM UTC
I didn't see Son of Sherman in that list. Any idea on that one? I've had it on preorder since july of 2006.
I will be glad to see the MMiR though.

sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 10:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

April 1st.......... Hmmmmmmmm

April Fools.

Could not resist sorry.
Keef1648
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 47 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 07, 2008 - 01:22 AM UTC
April 1st eh.
He MUST think we are fools. That is almost 36 months (3 Years) since I paid for a 1 year (12 month) subscription of FOUR issues, IF and when it gets to me, it will be the last of the four issues I paid up front for..

Sadly I still won't believe it til I see it in my mailbox. No confidence in the man nor his company.
Nothing he has said in the past 3 years has been truthful nor accurate.

Bad business practices and a sure way to guarantee you lose your subscriber base.

Keith.
Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 12:52 AM UTC
Well just over a week to go before HIS announced deadline of 1 April 2008 for the release of MMIr double issue numbers 42/43.

Is it going to be more of the same? ....No show, or will we actually find it in our mailbox this time??

I have waited almost 3 years to finally get this one (issue) to end my one years subscription, I guess a week is nothing, is it? If it actually does arrive all I can say is >

And no more money from me......

Keith.

sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 01:18 AM UTC
My LHS has me one saved when they come in.
Hope you get it.
Kelley
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 02:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hope you get it.

Therein lies the "rub", many LHS's get the mag in stock before subscribers get it in their mailboxs. I'm sorry but that isn't right, but then I guess a lot about MMIR's publishing schedule isn't right.

Mike
GSPatton
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,411 Posts
KitMaker Network: 785 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 03:30 PM UTC
Unfortunately with MMIR I'll believe it when I see it on the rack in my hobby store.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2008 - 12:08 AM UTC
Tomorrows D-Day.....
Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2008 - 01:12 AM UTC
I won't hold my breath, nor bank on it either.
This was the intended release date was it not?
Didn't say we were supposed to see it in our mail boxes...If it was, it would be stranger than fiction!

Keith.
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 3,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 684 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2008 - 02:02 AM UTC
One of Pat's friends mentioned it's in stock at HLJ.

And before that it was due December, and before that it was due..
In the computer world it's called Vaporware..

AFV magazine started HOW much after MMiR and has HOW many issues on the shelves?
I know where my magazine buying dollars are going.

A quick search through Missing Links general DG finds all the previous promised dates.
An equally interesting search in Planetarmor finds him asking folks to tell the ML nay-sayers to 'eff-off'.

Supposedly Pat is going to be at AMPS, I'm sorry I cant make it.
Now he's hooked up with ModelX???

Hey Pat..

How about you send me my 'we dont want you as a customer for this magazine either' refund check now.
This one I will even ask for.

Mike
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2008 - 02:24 AM UTC
We can all rejoice, it has just turned up as in stock at Lucky Models!
Kelley
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2008 - 03:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

One of Pat's friends mentioned it's in stock at HLJ.

And before that it was due December, and before that it was due..

Yeah, I saw that post on ML where they were saying it was in stock at HLJ. In the same post the person said something to the effect of "Pat kept his word." Well maybe this time he did, how about all the other times?

Maybe Pat needs to stop paying so much attention to lizard models blogger boy, and more to his publishing schedule.

Mike

Mike
Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2008 - 08:18 AM UTC
I, like many others have PAID for it (3 years ago), I would like to SEE it personally thanks.

Keith.
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 3,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 684 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 06:17 AM UTC
April 3 and no chorus of "I've got mine" yet.

Mike
Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 01:03 PM UTC
Like a lot of US Items, it is printed overseas I believe and thus it hasn't reached our shores and distributers yet, let alone our mail system.

Keith.
Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, April 04, 2008 - 12:48 AM UTC
http://www.luckymodel.com/scale.aspx?item_no=MM%20900-423

US. $17.98 plus > $6.16 shipping.....Total Est. Cost $24.14...

Keith.
Ps. I better not get charged extra for his two for one effort either!
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 04, 2008 - 03:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hope you get it.

Therein lies the "rub", many LHS's get the mag in stock before subscribers get it in their mailboxs. I'm sorry but that isn't right, but then I guess a lot about MMIR's publishing schedule isn't right.

Mike

It is just a business practice. If I am making a product, I fill the bigger orders first (like from an online shop or major distributor). The price per item to the large shop will be less (volume discount), but what I lose in item price I make up in sheer volume. Smaller orders get filled later. LHS may only carry a dozen or two dozen magazines, but the online store may submit an order for a gross. If I fill them first, I get full payment now.

Subscribers are already on the line so their magazines can go out last. Their money was received up front so fulfulling subscriptions with magazines they already paid for in the past cost the company money now.

The company basically loses money by sending out subscriptions. If I can only make, say 10,000 of an item (magazine), if I send 5,000 out to subscribers, that's 5,000 worth of current orders I can't meet. That costs the business money in lost profit.

Now I have no idea of how the publishers of MMiR run their business, but this is an example of a type of business practice.
Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, April 04, 2008 - 10:27 AM UTC
I am fully aware of business practises, is Ampersand publishing?

It is the up front subscriber and others paying for their new magazines to be produced by Ampersand that I think has kept the company afloat to this point.

Further more, if you ignor your subscriber base, that is a sure way to lose it! Subscribers are a large part of the cash flow....

To keep your distrubution network and stores waiting for your product without honest answers won't help much either.
Then we have the advertisers who are having to constantly update because the magazine isn't printed in a timely fashion, they will drop off as well. Annoy them at your peril.

Sooner or later, your river dries up because there aren't any streams to feed it.

Like a few others here, I have been stiffed (keeping it clean) and many others have already paid for a second merry go round, having received the 'Your subscription has expired" nonsense in the mail, even though they have waited years for the first paid for copies to reach the mail box.

According to what is in the link, the next issue should be out before the end of the month,( MMiR 44, April 25) that will be nothing short of amazing or even a miracle
.....Are we going to actually see one (a miracle ) that is.

Keith.
Kelley
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Friday, April 04, 2008 - 12:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

It is just a business practice. If I am making a product, I fill the bigger orders first (like from an online shop or major distributor). The price per item to the large shop will be less (volume discount), but what I lose in item price I make up in sheer volume. Smaller orders get filled later. LHS may only carry a dozen or two dozen magazines, but the online store may submit an order for a gross. If I fill them first, I get full payment now.

Subscribers are already on the line so their magazines can go out last. Their money was received up front so fulfulling subscriptions with magazines they already paid for in the past cost the company money now.

The company basically loses money by sending out subscriptions. If I can only make, say 10,000 of an item (magazine), if I send 5,000 out to subscribers, that's 5,000 worth of current orders I can't meet. That costs the business money in lost profit.

Now I have no idea of how the publishers of MMiR run their business, but this is an example of a type of business practice.

Rob, I'm not familiar with how all magazines and publishers do business so you very well may be right, but if that's the case then why are other publications able to get their product out to the subscribers before they hit the LHS and/or newsstands? I repeat, in my opinion it's just not right to the subscribers, who pay their money upfront, that they should be the last in line to receive a copy of the magazine.

Oh and by the way for anyone who may be wondering, no I don't have a subscription myself. I was going to subscribe a couple of years back until I heard from some friends and aquaintances of MMIR's business practices. So you don't need to cancel my subscription and send me a refund Pat. My money is spent on an AFV modelling mag I know will arrive in my mailbox when advertised.

Mike
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 08:28 AM UTC
Other magazines are more corporate and there are staffs, editors, assistant editors, writers and any number of paid emplyees that assist in getting the magazine from conception to printed edition to the magazine rack at your LHS or your bathroom. From what i understand, this magazine is basically a one man show with some reviews and articles provided by assignement from modelers who do the writing as a side job.

I'm neither condoning or condemning the magazine. If I see it on the shelf at the local store, I will pick it up and buy it if it has articles that interest me. The issues I do own are well done. I feel for subscribers who sent money in years ago and are still waiting for their one year 4 issue subscription to be fulfilled. That's just not right no matter what you try to justify it with, yet folks continue to send in money hoping that the next issue is right around the corner.

Or my personal favorite, it's been 8+ months since the last issue. We're just going to include a few more articles and review products that have been released since our last issue, call it a double issue and that way we just send you one magazine but credit your subscription for two. That way our production and distribution costs get cut in half but it's just like we sent you two magazines!
Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 01:24 AM UTC
So, I sent Pat an e.mail >

Pat.
OK. so it (MMiR 42.43) is printed (at last) and available online from Lucky Models.

When is it going to be in the US mail system for those of us who have paid you for it already.

And are you still intending to have 44 out on the 25th of this month as indicated by yourself? Or is that another pipe dream.

Keith."

Having checked my mail >> E.mail STATUS

..MMiR Pat Read: 4/5/2008 9:23 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time

Sent: 4/5/2008 7:21 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time.

As you can see, AOL to AOL Mail and you can see if it is read or not!

His reply to my two questions....>>> SILENCE...
This is typical of the man and his lack of forthcoming explanations or accurate information.
Being at the end of my subscription quantity wise (Time ran out 2 years ago) I fear the next issue won't be seen as indicated, more like whenever it appears.

I would like to point out, it is a good quality magazine, perhaps returning to its original format may help in the monetary/cash flow department.

Keith.

"
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 02:12 AM UTC
I wonder how many of the Articles will be old news by now ?
As to other Publications coming out every month or so and most would be covered by now.
I think a little stale by now.
Wait and see I guess.
 _GOTOTOP