_GOTOBOTTOM
User Support
Having a problem with the site? Post it here.
Posting Pics in the Forum - Step By Step
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 17,582 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,250 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 03:23 AM UTC
Hi there

A number of people have contacted me recently after having trouble posting pics from their Gallery folder into a Forum thread, so here's an illustrated walkthrough that I hope might help explain things. (Note: some small details may differ depending on your internet browser and computer operating system, but the fundamentals should be the same.)

1. Navigate to the Gallery folder you're interested in:

2. Click on the pic you want:

3. Right click on the pic (PC users), or Control + click (old mouse) or right click (new mouse) (Mac users) to bring up the file's Properties box:

4: Highlight and copy the url of the pic:

5: Go to your Forum thread and click on the Add Image Button above the emoticons. This adds a short section of HTML code in the text window:

6. Paste the url from Step 4 beween the brackets in the HTML code, where it reads "http://put.url.here/image.file" - being careful to leave the rest of the code intact:

7: When you add your post, the picture should appear:

If a picture appears, but it's not the one you expect - go back to Step 4 and check that you've copied the url correctly.

If no picture appears and you get a Red X icon, again check the url and also Step 6 - you might have accidentally pasted over part of the HTML code (it's easily done).

I hope this helps, all the best

Rowan
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
entire network: 6,048 Posts
KitMaker Network: 845 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 04:21 AM UTC
Excellent Step by step Rowan, I've been posting photos and giving advice to users but a pic paints a thousand words
Merlin
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 05:18 AM UTC
Cheers Pat

I'll say to everyone - do let me know if any step is unclear and I'll try re-word it better. I remember when I first started on the original Armorama - I'd never done anything on the internet before and I just could not get the hang of posting pics in the Forum. I came close to giving up in despair!

All the best

Rowan
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 08:09 AM UTC
Excellent Rowan.
Maybe someone could sticky this one.
AIRGUNNER
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 246 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 03:08 PM UTC
Hi Rowan,

Excellent article, I have had problems in the past with loading photos into my posts, but this is an excellent guide. My problem is getting photos into the Gallery in the first place. I get the following error:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 9216 bytes) in /home/kitmaker/gallery/image-inc.php on line 116

I also have the following at the top of my Gallery.

Disk space allowed on your account: 5,120kb (5,242,880 bytes)
Disk space used on your account: 1,432,446kb (1432446 bytes)
Disk space remaining for your account: 4,112kb (4210636 bytes)

I only have 20 photos in my gallery and they are not very big files. None is over 3Mb so I can't see why I am having problems. Any ideas please??

Steve
Merlin
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 07:38 PM UTC
Hi Steve

That looks like one for Staff_Jim really, but I think the first questions he'd ask are how big is the file that failed - i.e. both the dimensions of the image and the filesize in Kb - and what type of file was it - .jpg, .gif etc.

You say none of your pics is over 3 Mb. That's pretty big for the internet - most of mine are about 250 Kb max. It could be the filesize that's the issue. Have you tried with a smaller one?

All the best

Rowan
whittman181
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 646 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 08:25 PM UTC
Thank you as I had no idea at all how to do that! I'll have to take some pics and give it a try> Thanks again Bob
Merlin
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, March 03, 2008 - 10:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thank you as I had no idea at all how to do that! I'll have to take some pics and give it a try> Thanks again Bob

Cheers Bob

If this encourages people who've never posted their pics to give it a try, that's an unexpected and very welcome bonus!

All the best

Rowan
HeyLoad
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 64 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 01:02 PM UTC
I have to say that I have been having the same problems as Steve during the past few weeks. My file sizes are small, yet won't load and I receive the same error message. However, I now show 6 items in my queue. I have successfully uploaded in the past. Any advice on fixes or where its best to identify problems would be appreciated.

Tom
Merlin
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 06:09 AM UTC
Hi Tom

Staff_Jim has been tinkering under the hood, so those error messages should hopefully be a thing of the past. Have another try and see if your queue clears.

All the best

Rowan
jrrivc
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 207 Posts
KitMaker Network: 29 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 04:59 PM UTC
Hi Rowan, tried your explanation for getting photos to a forum, I still get no picture transfer.

all I get is a bx. w/red X I keep on pasteing the url where your suppose to but nothing happens Can you suggest something else or does anyonelse have any ideas?

Thanks,Frank
Merlin
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 02:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Rowan, tried your explanation for getting photos to a forum, I still get no picture transfer.

all I get is a bx. w/red X I keep on pasteing the url where your suppose to but nothing happens Can you suggest something else or does anyonelse have any ideas?

Thanks,Frank

Hi Frank

Are you sure you've copied the entire url correctly? - that's the usual culprit. In the properties page, click and hold the mouse button at the start of the address and drag right as far as you can - the address can often be deceptively long.

You can also right-click on the image at Step 3 and select "Copy image location". You can't actually see the url if you do it that way, so it may be worth pasting it into text document to check it before moving on to your Forum thread.

All the best

Rowan
jrrivc
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 207 Posts
KitMaker Network: 29 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 09:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Thanks,Frank

Hi Frank

Are you sure you've copied the entire url correctly? - that's the usual culprit. In the properties page, click and hold the mouse button at the start of the address and drag right as far as you can - the address can often be deceptively long.

You can also right-click on the image at Step 3 and select "Copy image location". You can't actually see the url if you do it that way, so it may be worth pasting it into text document to check it before moving on to your Forum thread.

All the best

Rowan

thanks rowan got it Frank
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 7,219 Posts
KitMaker Network: 981 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 03:35 AM UTC
Used this as a test area. All good now. Pic deleted. Thanks.
 _GOTOTOP