_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Cheap tools from Aldi in the UK.
dobon68
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 392 Posts
KitMaker Network: 21 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 29, 2008 - 07:53 AM UTC
In Aldi from 2nd March they have some cheap tools that might be useful to some of you UK based guys the first thing is a 40W Model Building and Engraving Kit
http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/2867_5218.htm
The second is a Hobby Knives Set
http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/2867_5222.htm
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,218 Posts
KitMaker Network: 760 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 29, 2008 - 01:15 PM UTC
If that engraving kit is anything like the cheap kit I bought from Woolies about ten years ago then it is superb. I've been looking for another ever since the motor burned out on mine.

The great thing is how SLOW it can go...
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,597 Posts
KitMaker Network: 673 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 10:11 AM UTC
Hi there

Got mine today and they are really useful looking tool sets.

The drill is fully controllable for speed and is nice to hold, though the coiled flex is quite short and stiff meaning the transformer box (quite large compared with others I have and not built into the socket) might have to be on the workbench beside you taking up space. It does have a ring to hang the drill from on a hook or nail out of the way.

The knife set is of reasonable looking quality with the usual plastic blade grips which might snap before the blade snaps with excessive force (only time will tell).

This is the first set I have that has included a scribing tool with specific points and tiny blades that are bound to be useful. I have never tried complicated scribing before so these tools might help me gain some much needed practice.

Nige
Fazer1006
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 234 Posts
KitMaker Network: 64 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 07:27 PM UTC
Hi Guys, .
Got a rotary tool yesterday & for slow speed work, it's ideal.
I tryed it out on some plastic & resin scrap, the slow speed & control was excellent.
So as a cheap plastic working tool, find out your nearest ALDi now
Addtional note, my local store has a Ultra sonic cleaning bath as well so I am going to try that as well for my Airbrush & delicate little parts
mark
flakgunner
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 657 Posts
KitMaker Network: 201 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 01:26 AM UTC
hey ,
Does look real nice and good price,we got a Aldi's near us,but 230V, DC 18V ? must be a typo

Joe
HawkeyeV
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 319 Posts
KitMaker Network: 184 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 02:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi there

Got mine today and they are really useful looking tool sets.

The drill is fully controllable for speed and is nice to hold, though the coiled flex is quite short and stiff meaning the transformer box (quite large compared with others I have and not built into the socket) might have to be on the workbench beside you taking up space. It does have a ring to hang the drill from on a hook or nail out of the way.

The knife set is of reasonable looking quality with the usual plastic blade grips which might snap before the blade snaps with excessive force (only time will tell).

This is the first set I have that has included a scribing tool with specific points and tiny blades that are bound to be useful. I have never tried complicated scribing before so these tools might help me gain some much needed practice.

Nige

The things I've noticed over the years with those 'cheap' tool sets is that the blades do not keep an edge very well or long, the handles loosen their grip on the blades constantly...a battle you don't want to wage when scribing or doing some serious carving. There is nothing worse than a handle loosening and the blade slip damaging your work and embed itself into ones flesh.

I've found that the products from Excel serve me very well. Blades are excellent and the handles hold consistent and tight!

redneck
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 1,602 Posts
KitMaker Network: 447 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 06:26 AM UTC
I picked up a cheap set almost identical (Case is blue and the plastic handles red on mine.) to that one at a tool sale over a year ago. Still using it.
I have to sharpen some of the blades every now and then and did manage to brake a chisel blade but other then that they’ve worked fine for me. Used them to cut everything from plastic the PE.
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,597 Posts
KitMaker Network: 673 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 10:51 AM UTC
After having a few close calls with blades and having impaled one or two in me through time, or ping up to my eyes only to bounce of my glasses fortunately, I have tried to use as little force as I can for cutting and scribing.

Instead of forcing the cuts I will hapilly make another pass scribing again and again till it is weak enough. I am happier that this is the case as I would hate to be forcing heavier cuts on what are supposed to be tougher knives only to find that they ping and impale me yet again!

I suppose I should get into the habit of using fresher blades though and maybe sharpen them now and again but never get round to it.

Nige
 _GOTOTOP