_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: Singapore / 新加坡
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Singapore AirShow
eerie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 1,008 Posts
KitMaker Network: 655 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 11:28 AM UTC
Everyone secured your way in yet? We could start digging a tunnel now..
CombatKrieg
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 517 Posts
KitMaker Network: 71 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 01:38 PM UTC
Lol... digging a tunnel, i guess the $20 entry fee is too expensive...
eerie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 02:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I got a trade visitor pass...i was being nice to help out to dig a tunnel for u guys on the other side.
kriegsketten
Vendor
ECHELON
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 283 Posts
KitMaker Network: 96 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 09:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I got a trade visitor pass...i was being nice to help out to dig a tunnel for u guys on the other side.

Cool! You got a pass! Okay, lemme help you with ze tools for the tunnel digging, what do you need? I've got brass teaspoons, plain metal ones, plastic ones if you've looking for some REAL challenge, or do you prefer a lot quicker type, I've got the ultimate tool - the TABLESPOON - with Sharpened edges!
eerie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 04:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Cool! You got a pass! Okay, lemme help you with ze tools for the tunnel digging, what do you need? I've got brass teaspoons, plain metal ones, plastic ones if you've looking for some REAL challenge, or do you prefer a lot quicker type, I've got the ultimate tool - the TABLESPOON - with Sharpened edges!

I think have to be plastic spoon, cos metal ones confirm cannot get pass security metal detector.
Sharkreef123
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 32 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 11:42 AM UTC
Hope u all can make it in time cause the show last only a few days. U'll need to buy at least $20 worth of plastic spoons anyway to get thru.
eerie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 06:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hope u all can make it in time cause the show last only a few days. U'll need to buy at least $20 worth of plastic spoons anyway to get thru.

Get those brown plastic ones like the those found in MRE packs. Then again a pack of MRE locally cost $35
kriegsketten
Vendor
ECHELON
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 08:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Get those brown plastic ones like the those found in MRE packs. Then again a pack of MRE locally cost $35

Aiyah, sooooo easy. Go ta bao your breakfast, lunch and dinner (add teabreak, brunch, supper for good measure) and make sure you use your hands to eat instead of the spoons (otherwise, the tunnel will start to have a distinct pungent smell...) Guarantee to have your spoons within two to three days free of charge! Or if you're smart enough, just one meal would do... That's only if you can convince the food seller why you need THAT many spoons for just one take-away... A smarter move is walk into a fastfood restaurant during peak period, ask for the spoons at the counter and pretend that you have an extended (ah-gong, ah-mah, cousins, aunts and uncles, the works) family sitting some where around waiting for the spoons to eat the food that you've just supposedly bought from them.

But seriously, who's going - what's to expect there?

eerie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 04:19 AM UTC
I m going for sure.... representing my employers....I heard scale nutz are having a booth there. But no booth number yet.
CombatKrieg
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 08:28 AM UTC
Hoho! Lucky i've got a friend who's giving me a free pass too!
eerie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 10:49 AM UTC
Some photos i took yesterday. Will be going back there for a quick one on friday.

I went onboard this the G550

madcat911
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 112 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 01:46 PM UTC
I heard that the static display was very disappointing. Can't really get up close to the planes for reference photos unlinke 2006.

But from what I saw in the news, the aerial display looked fantastic and is probably the only saving grace for this show.
maxwinamp
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 31 Posts
KitMaker Network: 6 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 03:48 PM UTC
Here are some I took on Wed.

http://www.outthere.info/airshow08/airshow08.htm

Yes the static display SUXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.
eerie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 02:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I heard that the static display was very disappointing. Can't really get up close to the planes for reference photos unlinke 2006.

But from what I saw in the news, the aerial display looked fantastic and is probably the only saving grace for this show.

The military aircrafts are not really accesible, but the civil executive jets are all open for me. The G550 is very impressive, the cockpit avionics are very very impressive not to mention the luxurious seats at the back. I check out the Falcon from Dassault too, smaller but just at great.
I manage to hop on the EC120 also, but that one i had to talk my way thru...haha
Anyway, longer lens would help alot for photos.
Danial
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 693 Posts
KitMaker Network: 390 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2008 - 01:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Yes the static display SUXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.

yeap, i agree with that but the aerial display wasn't bad.
madcat911
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2008 - 05:10 AM UTC
Hi guys,

Managed to score some tickets to go to the airshow today. Here are some of the pics I took.

A380

F-16C Block 50 from Misawa AFB

F/A-18F Super Hornet from VFA-102 Diamondbacks

F-16D Block 52+ from RSAF 145 Sqn

Globalhawk mockup

CH-47SD Chinook from 127 Sqn

Fire Scout

My camera was too lousy to take shots of the aerial display. I'll try to get a better one next time.
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 2,709 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2008 - 03:08 PM UTC
Great shots of the show and yeah it does suck when they dont let you get up close and personal with the military jets.

Did you guys get a chance to walk into the A380? Any interior shots?
madcat911
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 03:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Did you guys get a chance to walk into the A380? Any interior shots?

Unfortunately, no. The security people were quite "on" when it came to stopping people from dashing up the boarding ladder.
Danial
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 693 Posts
KitMaker Network: 390 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 12:39 PM UTC
yep, anyway, that A380 was used in both static and aerial display. most probably the crew didn't want anyone on board for some safety reason.

A380 looks like a flying whale. heheh.
kriegsketten
Vendor
ECHELON
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 04:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

yep, anyway, that A380 was used in both static and aerial display. most probably the crew didn't want anyone on board for some safety reason.

A380 looks like a flying whale. heheh.

Yup, my remark when I saw it in the air was: "Flying Beluga!" Given the slowness and size of the aircraft, it was like the sky was the big undersea world, and the "whale" swimming gracefully in it. It was nice - and frankly, how silent it was! Did you all notice that? I mean, the nearby airline jets which took off from the airport produced more noise than the closer whale "waltzing" above us! Hope to experience it on my next trip to Euromilitaire in the coming years, provided of course that I decided to go for premium SIA tickets...

Anyway, after the show, it was practically a nightmare to get out - no crowd control and there was a lot of cussing and swearing, the sun above wasn't helping the situation at all. So my family and I decided to return to the show, get a couple of drinks and sat idly in one corner of the hall to enjoy the air-conditioning to nicely cool off. When we left, it was about 6.30pm. The crowd was minimal, little queuing at the Bus terminal, plus we sat comfortably in the bus on the way to Pasir Ris. It ended quite happily - all because we went against "crowd" mentality.

The best part about yesterday's outdoor performance was that there was cloud overcast so it was purrrfect!

With regards to outdoor exhibits, apart from the fencing surrounding RSAF airframes, the rest were all opened to the public for fondling, rough manhandling (yes, we have some rather abusive blokes), and close-ups. I took a number of shots at the landing gears of Misawa jets (particularly the Block 50 F-16CJ, and F/A-18F) - hoping to capture all the data-plates.. hahaha! Also tried to shoot as much as possible the wheel wells of the F/A-18F (Diamond Backs). So, I think my 20 is well spent afterall... Hopefully the next one gets more interesting!

Cheers,

Lawrence
eerie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 08:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

With regards to outdoor exhibits, apart from the fencing surrounding RSAF airframes, the rest were all opened to the public for fondling, rough manhandling (yes, we have some rather abusive blokes), and close-ups. I took a number of shots at the landing gears of Misawa jets (particularly the Block 50 F-16CJ, and F/A-18F) - hoping to capture all the data-plates.. hahaha! Also tried to shoot as much as possible the wheel wells of the F/A-18F (Diamond Backs). So, I think my 20 is well spent afterall... Hopefully the next one gets more interesting!

Cheers,

Lawrence

I echo the same sentiments as you dude, i can say that this airshow is the best above all the old Asian Aerospace. I mean lets not compare this with PAris air show or even Farnborough, but lets just compare to let say LIMA Langkawi.
Besides the fully barricaded RSAF aircrafts, i think the security for the USAF aircrafts was quite lax. I was able to touch and actually manage to spot a double killer. One of the fighters had 2 green stars stating 2 MIG kills. (let you guess which one) I also manage to get onboard the cockpits of the G550, the EC120, Dassault Falcon etc. The last time i get to get up close was way back in 95, with a UH-60 Blackhawk
As for the airshow, i think the Black Knights were "so-so". After growing up seeing teams such as the Red Arrows, Blue Anels and the ThunderBirds, i think i ve seen better.
So in all, coming as a trade visitor this year with my current job is better than being a trade visitor in my last job.
In all i m satisfied with the display.
CombatKrieg
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 01:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

One of the fighters had 2 green stars stating 2 MIG kills. (let you guess which one)

Beauty ainnit...
madcat911
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 02:24 AM UTC
I heard that there was somewhat of a stampede on Saturday which left the USAF "enclosure" open to everyone. Must have been cool to get so close to the USAF planes especially the Bone.

By the way, does anyone have any more pictures of the double MiG-killer?
kriegsketten
Vendor
ECHELON
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 11:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I heard that there was somewhat of a stampede on Saturday which left the USAF "enclosure" open to everyone. Must have been cool to get so close to the USAF planes especially the Bone.

By the way, does anyone have any more pictures of the double MiG-killer?

Yup, me and my kid went up the Bone's cockpit to have a quick browse around (reallllly quick as there was a looooong queue behind us). And when we were down, the airforcemen tied back the yellow rope (halfway up the ladder) to prevent anyone from going up again.... Say, who untied that rope in the first place anyway?
madcat911
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 02:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Yup, me and my kid went up the Bone's cockpit to have a quick browse around (reallllly quick as there was a looooong queue behind us). And when we were down, the airforcemen tied back the yellow rope (halfway up the ladder) to prevent anyone from going up again.... Say, who untied that rope in the first place anyway?

90,000 visitors vs 1 Marine guard. No prizes as to who wins that contest there.
 _GOTOTOP