TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
Journeys to the bottom of the sea
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,933 Posts
KitMaker Network: 814 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 21, 2003 - 01:36 AM UTC
Hi guys Did anyone watch this programme on b.b.c.2 easter monday night Brilliant stuff all a bout the Duplex Drive Shermans of the 741st who were suppose to land on Omaha beach on D day. The divers went down to the vehicles on the sea bed, great footage, an American enthusiast was trying to find out the real reason for them sinking. The offical reason was swamping, well this turned out to be the reason but for all the wrong reasons. Officially the swamping was caused by heavy seas but in fact it was due to the tanks using the church tower of Colvillie saint mer as a land mark, the strong current made them turn sideways to the waves and down they went .A good program with lots of vets interviewed re-enactments and computor battles scenes,well worth a watch if its repeated.
Cpl_Grimes
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 5 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 21, 2003 - 02:24 AM UTC
Just thought i'd tell you that, that was a repeat. A great program though with lots of detail.
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 21, 2003 - 06:53 AM UTC
I don't think it was on here in the States. I did see a show where they were trying to recover a DD Sherman off the coast of Itlay. It was sorta cute because the United States Army kept telling everyone it couldn't be a DD Sherman, because there weren't any in Itlay, until the divers sent a video to the Pentagon cleary showing the propellers...
Roadkill
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
entire network: 2,029 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 21, 2003 - 07:21 AM UTC
Yeah I have seen it, I was planning to tape it but due to visitors I forgot, I missed the first 15 minutes but it was great to see them on the bottom.

I hope that that French fellow finds a way to preserve his specimen, I know that when I ever am in Normandy that I will try to find his little museum.

I also have seen the Anzio DD, have it on tape, I think that those blokes at the pentagon fell of their chairs when they saw that video :-)
Oberst
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 851 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 21, 2003 - 07:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

... I know that when I ever am in Normandy that I will try to find his little museum.

I am going to Normandy next summer (I was supposed to go this summer ), what is the Museum? I would like to visit.

Thanks,

Andrew

blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2003 - 08:44 PM UTC
When this show pops up in the US, hopefully somone will discover it a few days in advance and post it here so we all can get a shot at looking at it. :-)