Soldier Stories
Served in the military? Discuss your time and experiences here.
Hosted by Dave Willett
Military firearms possesion
BorisS
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 144 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 11:48 AM UTC
Hi all, future Marine here. Well I already signed my contract but I'm in the delayed entry program until i get high school out of the way. My recruiter just informed me yesterday that I got my career choice which is MBT repair and technician, which I'm glad of.

Anyway onto my question
I'm generally interested in firearms and all that fun stuff, but living in NYC makes that a big problem since you have to go through hell and a half to get legal permission to own one.
Well I've read up on the firearms laws in NYC on this page (These laws are as of Feb. 2006 which may have changed by now)
http://www.nraila.org/statelawpdfs/NYCCL.pdf
And it states that you must be of 21 years and have a license to possess any sort of firearm except for antiques (for which you need a license if you want to also possess ammo)
One of the exceptions to that rule is "persons in the military service when duly authorized to carry or possess a firearm or in pursuit of official duty"
Can anyone please explain it to me? Does that mean that I don't need to be 21 (I'm 18 now) and don't need a license? How does this work when I decide to go buy a firearm or go to a range to shoot? How does this apply to antiques? (Im most interested in those)
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
entire network: 6,048 Posts
KitMaker Network: 845 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 12:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

when duly authorized to carry or possess a firearm or in pursuit of official duty"

My understanding is that it means if the Marines send you somewhere and provide you with a firearm necessary to carry out you duty and doesn't refer to personal weapons you own.
markm
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 590 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 12:52 PM UTC
Pat is correct, this would not apply to personal use weapons but only those supplied for duty use while on duty.
BorisS
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 11:55 AM UTC
Dang, got my hopes all up!
Oh well, wherever I happen to be stationed will definitely be alot easier to get a license then here in the anti-gun capital of the world
markm
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 12:11 PM UTC
If you make it to Cali, there is no special license, but there are some hoops to jump through. Last time I bought a handgun i had to go to Wal mart, get a hunting license, and take a firearms safety course at the dealer.

No account was taken at the fact that I have several years of full time law enforcement with countless hours of officer survilval and firearms training.
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,597 Posts
KitMaker Network: 673 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 12:45 PM UTC
Hi there folks

All's I can say is that I am glad we have fairly tight gun laws in UK. Doesn't stop all the nutters and gang land hoods from getting blackmarket guns, but at least our cops have less armed units walking on patrols. Still feels safe to walk the streets and hear fire works rather than pitched gun battles.

Ex TA soldier and have healthy respect for guns in the right hands. I just think the right to bear arms as freely as you guys have it in USA is just a tad too open for the sort of nutters to be walking freely through the streets.

JMHO for what it is worth!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nige
BorisS
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 12:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

If you make it to Cali, there is no special license, but there are some hoops to jump through. Last time I bought a handgun i had to go to Wal mart, get a hunting license, and take a firearms safety course at the dealer.

No account was taken at the fact that I have several years of full time law enforcement with countless hours of officer survilval and firearms training.

That's odd, I always thought Cali was really uptight on guns. Well there is a basic training base in San Diego but you can't have guns in basic training, so I guess I gota wait until I'm out of that.
markm
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 01:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

That's odd, I always thought Cali was really uptight on guns. Well there is a basic training base in San Diego but you can't have guns in basic training, so I guess I gota wait until I'm out of that.

Depends on where you are at. I am in the Central Valley where there are more legal guns than citizens. I had my butt saved on more than one occasion by a armed citizen with a legally owned firearm. Some cities in Cali have outlawed handguns altogether and will not issue concealed carry permits to anyone. others are more forgiving. It all depends on where you are.

I wont comment on any statements about gun ownership by private citizens. It always turns ugly and threads have been locked because of it.
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,597 Posts
KitMaker Network: 673 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 01:38 PM UTC
It is a very touchy feely subject

I will stick to splatmaster paint guns and target ranges for my kicks though!!!!

Oh and don't forget the air gun to get some paint on some models of death and mass destruction.

Nige
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 7,219 Posts
KitMaker Network: 981 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 07:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I wont comment on any statements about gun ownership by private citizens. It always turns ugly and threads have been locked because of it.

Not to dispute anything said on here, but your best bet for threads like this is ar15.com. New York does have some of the worst anti gun laws. A thread from a few days ago talks about the best gun friendly states.
BorisS
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, February 01, 2008 - 12:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

New York does have some of the worst anti gun laws.

Exactly why I'm moving out of here as soon as I get the chance. At least to a neighboring state like Pennsylvania who aren't as bad with this.
Ok, so as I understand being a service member doesn't directly allow me to own guns (other than issued ones, but you don't OWN those)
Would being a marine at least increase my chances of them granting me a license, or does that not matter?
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 7,219 Posts
KitMaker Network: 981 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 01, 2008 - 01:38 AM UTC
I've been a Special Forces weapons sergeant since 1983. I get no slack on anything, including CCW. The exception, and there may be others, is Colorado, where a letter from my commander can get me an exemption.
dropshot
Visit this Community
Provincia de Pontevedra, Spain / Espaņa
entire network: 300 Posts
KitMaker Network: 80 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 01, 2008 - 04:59 AM UTC
Curiously as a 16 year old soldier ( a long time ago ) my collegues & I were running around England , Scotland & Wales with semi-automatic assault rifles (SLR/ FNFAL) & nobody gave it a second thought. I was using .303 cal. rifles at 13. One of the first lessons I got was respect: because we were then shown what they are capable of. I´m not pro nor contra gun ownership but one has to ask: Who really needs an assault rifle, because it was purely & simply designed to kill lots of targets & very quickly at that; any other kind of firearm is debatable by circumstances. It is ironic that in the UK since firearm possesion has been revoked there is more illegal possesion & crime relating to their use than ever before. Maybe I should get myself a black market Mac10 for protection the next time I visit.
BorisS
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, February 01, 2008 - 11:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Curiously as a 16 year old soldier ( a long time ago ) my collegues & I were running around England , Scotland & Wales with semi-automatic assault rifles (SLR/ FNFAL) & nobody gave it a second thought. I was using .303 cal. rifles at 13. One of the first lessons I got was respect: because we were then shown what they are capable of. I´m not pro nor contra gun ownership but one has to ask: Who really needs an assault rifle, because it was purely & simply designed to kill lots of targets & very quickly at that; any other kind of firearm is debatable by circumstances. It is ironic that in the UK since firearm possesion has been revoked there is more illegal possesion & crime relating to their use than ever before. Maybe I should get myself a black market Mac10 for protection the next time I visit.

1) Well Assault Rifles were designed purely to kill people. In the rare occasion that you may have to kill someone, I guess you would want to have the best you can get.
2)When guns are outlawed, that's what always happens, crime goes up.
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 01, 2008 - 03:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Well there is a basic training base in San Diego but you can't have guns in basic training, so I guess I gota wait until I'm out of that.

If you are single and living in the barracks, you will be able to own firearms, but you won't be able to keep them. They will have to be registered and kept locked up in the unit arms room. If you want it for hunting or target shooting, you'll have to make special arrangements to get the weapon issued to you and you'll have to turn it in when your activity is done. And don't even think about hiding it in your car.

All is not lost, however. If you like to trap or skeet shoot, many U.S. military bases have ranges that will loan or rent shotguns and even give free shooting lessons. All you have to buy is ammo. This might not be what you have in mind, but it is a great way to become comfortable with handling loaded weapons safely in a lower stress environment than a military rifle or pistol range.
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 3,770 Posts
KitMaker Network: 747 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 02:28 AM UTC
Colorado seems to be a pretty easy state to have and own fire arms (provided you are "legal."). I've purchased a few hand guns and rifles since being stationed at Fort Carson with no problems....the stores will do the background check, and if everythings fine, the weapon is sold to you. I used to regularly go to Ft. Carson's Privately Owned Weapons (POW) range to shoot....haven't been there in a while, but I see a lot of construction, so I doubt it's still there. Anyhow, to do that, the weapons had to be registered on post. I think when you did that, they also ran a background and confirmed that the weapons were "legal."

As far as the concealed permit goes, because my 214 (discharge papers) had listed my "Pistol" qualification, and the 214 was less than 10 years old, I didn't need to take an "approved Civilian weapons training class".....they considered me "trained" based on the military background. So, 214, a check for the permit, a check for the background, finger prints, and done.....permit mailed.

Colorado (with some exceptions) is also an "open carry" state; I can walk down the street in town and go into stores with my revolver hung on my hip. I might get some stares, but I'm legal. I used to carry my auto in a shoulder rig on the outside of my shirt....but once I had one "liberal" complain that they didn't like, while standing behind me in a store line, looking down the barrel, I decided to get the permit. The angle-of-draw on the auto kind of positioned it so if you were right behind me, and of average height, you'd be looking down the barrel. I could understand.....just didn't like how the (bad word removed) complained.

Anyhow, military or not Boris, I don't think you'll get any "special" treatment in New York. And, if and when you get any firearms, and live in the barracks, they will have you put them in the arms room. I had a couple rifles kept in the armsroom on my first tour in Germany; all I did was write a letter to the CO a week in advance explaining when I wanted them drawn out of the armsroom, where I was going, and when I'd return them. Never had a problem. Something else to consider (I believe this to be correct) is getting orders for overseas....I don't think you can take weapons overseas anymore...IIRC, sometime back they stopped this practice.

Mike
JeepLC
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 510 Posts
KitMaker Network: 40 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 11:07 AM UTC
Come on down to Virginia. We have no guns aside from the federal anti-pistol laws... which are Bs. It is sadening to think that gangland hoodlums and their actions have made it impossible for anyone to get a pistol until age 21. If you get stationed at Quantico you can own about anything you want. I'm 19 right now and collect military rifles and muskets. I hunt, fish, and do quite a bit of shooting. Va has taken heat in the wake of the VT shootings and such for our 'laxed' gun laws, but there is a small minority of trouble makers and honest gunowners should not have to pay their tax.

Another plus with Va is that we have sensible laws regarding retired law enforcement and military personel. Where most civilians must jump through more than a few hoops to get the right permits soldiers and cops can get their conceal carry and class 3 licenses near hassel free. I will admit that southern Va is much friendlier to gun owners. An individual i know (a 27 year law enforcement veteran) had fairfax police called on him when someone took offense to his holstered Sig 228. After a lecture from a county cop (who was way out of line) he went about his buisness.

Anyway, kind of a rant, sorry. Good luck at boot. I'll be joining you soon.

-Mike
Splinty
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 114 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2008 - 08:59 PM UTC
One way you might go about purchasing a firearm is to check out the Rod and Gun club at your first duty station (unless it's Iraq or Afghanistan). Guns sold on base used to fall under Federal law and not state law, and I don't think that's changed.
smokeyjoe
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 21 Posts
KitMaker Network: 10 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 03:55 AM UTC
Don't worry about guns, the Marines will supply you with more than you need.
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 2,531 Posts
KitMaker Network: 290 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 18, 2008 - 05:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi there folks

All's I can say is that I am glad we have fairly tight gun laws in UK. Doesn't stop all the nutters and gang land hoods from getting blackmarket guns, but at least our cops have less armed units walking on patrols. Still feels safe to walk the streets and hear fire works rather than pitched gun battles.

Ex TA soldier and have healthy respect for guns in the right hands. I just think the right to bear arms as freely as you guys have it in USA is just a tad too open for the sort of nutters to be walking freely through the streets. I seem to recall that the reason we have the right to bear arms is because of a small scuffle with a nighbor to the south of you about 200 years ago.

JMHO for what it is worth!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nige

I seem to recall that the reason we across the pond have the right to bear arms is due to a scuffle with a certain neighbor to the south of you that occured about 200 years ago. The scots may have made due with a claymore or two but we prefer something that goes bang. lol
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 18, 2008 - 09:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I always thought you looked like one of those Chps Fellows.
amerikaner
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 34 Posts
KitMaker Network: 15 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 05:02 AM UTC
Nige,

So what do the unarmed police patrols do when the encounter those nutters and gang member with firearms? I assume they call for units with firearms or maybe they can use nonlethal weapons-I wouldn't feel too safe knowing some police officers can't protect themselves much less myself. I will see in the fall when I visit England.

Without our own firearms the 13 colonies wouldn't have had the means to iniate our war of independence-this has certainly been good for England in 1917 and 1941. I think that is why we love our right to bear arms-it is true independence but I concede gun laws are not enforced.