_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: Singapore / 新加坡
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Hi all!
CombatKrieg
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 517 Posts
KitMaker Network: 71 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 19, 2008 - 03:41 AM UTC
Russell from SG here... Currently doing a A10 Thunderbolt II kit from Tamiya!
kriegsketten
Vendor
ECHELON
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 283 Posts
KitMaker Network: 96 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 19, 2008 - 05:01 AM UTC
Hi there!

When you completed that (please do), then you remember to check out the 1/48 Hobby Boss kit...

Cheers!

Lawrence
eerie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 1,008 Posts
KitMaker Network: 655 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 19, 2008 - 05:11 AM UTC
welcome russell.
Danial
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 693 Posts
KitMaker Network: 390 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 19, 2008 - 03:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi there!

When you completed that (please do), then you remember to check out the 1/48 Hobby Boss kit...

Cheers!

Lawrence

Hi and welcome. yeah when your done, check out the hobby boss, mouth watering.
kriegsketten
Vendor
ECHELON
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Saturday, January 19, 2008 - 06:27 PM UTC
But, complete your Tamiya A-10 FIRST!!! Just finish it - use it as a learning tool, spray your best camo pattern, test out waterslide decals (make sure you know how to get rid of the shivering), test out the weathering. Whatever you do, just finish it! The planet is going nuts, don't waste material (plastic)!

Then..... you go and take a peek at the Hobby Boss rendition... but before that, prepare an oxygen tank and mask, or get ready your favorite pack of tissue (you'll be so touched that you'll want to weep in silence)...

Anyway, if I were to build an A-10 in 1/48, T H A T............ my friend, will be the kit. (mimicking CSI Miami's main character)
Danial
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 01:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

But, complete your Tamiya A-10 FIRST!!! Just finish it - use it as a learning tool, spray your best camo pattern, test out waterslide decals (make sure you know how to get rid of the shivering), test out the weathering. Whatever you do, just finish it! The planet is going nuts, don't waste material (plastic)!

Then..... you go and take a peek at the Hobby Boss rendition... but before that, prepare an oxygen tank and mask, or get ready your favorite pack of tissue (you'll be so touched that you'll want to weep in silence)...

Anyway, if I were to build an A-10 in 1/48, T H A T............ my friend, will be the kit. (mimicking CSI Miami's main character)

I have to agree there. i like the details they give for the twin engine blades. so damn cool!
khairy1974
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 33 Posts
KitMaker Network: 26 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 03:40 AM UTC
Welcome, fellow sg modeller....

It's always nice to see a new face.....

Anyway, how's the A-10 coming along?
CombatKrieg
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 04:36 AM UTC
Well i haven't seen much hobby shops around except for the nearby Hobby Point @ Century Square for me... Any idea where i could check the HobbyBoss one out?

This is my 3rd model actually, 1st was a Kitty Hawk from Academy, 2nd was a 1/48 Apache from Academy too and this is my 3rd... So far it's the first kit that i've actually been very serious about...

I've decided to paint it in A-stan/Iraq's colour scheme... The greyish tone, the old green camouflage gives me the creeps

I need some help on weathering though...

eerie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 11:26 AM UTC
what scale is it? the wheels looks huge. Nice
Danial
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 11:33 AM UTC
If your from the east side, drop by ARMIE.

110 Paya Lebar Road
#04-05
Singapore Warehouse
Singapore 409009

Bus services available:
24, 28, 70, 70X, 76, 80, 135, 154,

Nearest MRT station: Paya Lebar MRT

kriegsketten
Vendor
ECHELON
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 12:23 PM UTC
Well done! You're almost there, even the loads are build and painted! Do you own an airbrush? You could do some post shading on the panel lines if you have it. But don't do it if you are not up to the task. Post shading is a tricky weathering technique to master - could create havoc for the inexperienced. Recommended for situations such as yours (since you've already painted the body color). Normally I'd recommend pre-shading - before body color. This method is easier to control.

You could add a sem-dark oil wash (make sure your body paint aren't enamel-based) to bring out the panel lines. Burnt Sienna and Raw Umber mix. However, given that Tamiya's kit is generally raised panel lines (ancient technology), I'd suggest that you apply the wash over only the flaps and sunken lines (if you can find them).

Hobby Boss kit is probably sold out at most of the places (call around). Keep in mind that they produce two versions, single and double seated airframes. I do recall the doubled seated version at Viviocity's MH store recently. I'm pretty sure you can ask to view the parts. And the store manager, Steven, would be only too happy to assist you for your needs.

Btw, HB's recent kits include 1/48 F/A-18A, C version also, Dassault Rafales (think both version?), Mirage III and of course the A-10s. All very detailed and value for money. Their 1/72 kits are for entry level beginners (very few parts), are a complete departure from the 1/48 counterparts.

And I wholesomely agree with you, the green / grey camo are very ghastly. The light grey ones are nice - even nicer with the shark teeth and eyes! More refreshing markings would be the Razorbacks (wild hogs) instead of shark teeths. Which amply suits the Warthog (A-10's nickname).

Cheers,

Lawrence

CombatKrieg
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 07:10 PM UTC
Hi all... Thanks Erizemen! It's a 1/48 kit...

And Danial that place is a warehouse?

Oh no i don't own an airbrush... Need to earn some cash before i get one ... I'm looking foward to getting a F16... Any good recommendations? Oh and about washes... What are they actually?

Thanks!
khairy1974
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 07:21 PM UTC
Well done bro.....nice looking A-10
eerie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2008 - 02:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi all... Thanks Erizemen! It's a 1/48 kit...

And Danial that place is a warehouse?

Oh no i don't own an airbrush... Need to earn some cash before i get one ... I'm looking foward to getting a F16... Any good recommendations? Oh and about washes... What are they actually?

Thanks!

For 1/48 scales, Academy would have affordable ones which you can trash around with. retail ranges from $15-$25
khairy1974
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2008 - 02:49 AM UTC
If you're going for quality, I still think Hasegawa's kit is better...but a bit more costlier.....
eerie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2008 - 05:08 AM UTC
If u have more cash to burn, get one of the CJs from Tamiya too....
kriegsketten
Vendor
ECHELON
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2008 - 01:05 PM UTC
More money to burn but not for a good Airbrush?!

What is with you guys? Hahaha!

Even if you can buy a super nice kit, you'll still end up with a so-so finish and that is okay? Unless of course you can do wonders with the spraycan to look better than any airbrush painting, I'm going to shut my trap forever and bow down to call you sifu!... (Spraycans are better suited for car models, and I've called a number of car modellers sifu already!)

Each to his/her own I suppose. But my advice is, if you like this hobby very much and want to progress further, consider getting the whole setup (airbrush-compressor). Yes, it will be costly, but this after all a costly hobby! (oh, like you didn't know? heheh) You can never compromise with your passion folks!

If you are a beginner and costs being the important factor, I'd do what Erisemen suggests - Academy aircraft kits aren't that bad. He uses spraycans for painting, which to me are quite okay, it's just that you can't do final finishing touches with it. Or more importantly, intricate camouflage patterns - you are limited by the unforgiving small hole of the spraycan nozzle. Small that it maybe, but spectacular wide spread of paint pigments that it is truly capable of! So much so that you must alway check your masked surface are well covered or else the pigments will seek and find themselves a cushy landing surface on your well built model! But otherwise, it is a good compromise for those who do not wish to dig too deep into their pockets. But make sure you have VERY good ventilation when you use the cans. Or else your doctor bills will be 1000 times more than an airbrush/compressor!

Yes, I'm very tempted by the Tamiya 1/48 F-16CJ too, but I'll only purchase it when I have to (like for decalling projects.. ) So is the HobbyBoss 1/48 A-10A, I've seen a number of completed builds over at www.aircraftresourcecenter.com and WOW superb model! Btw, they have an A-10A group build going on now. Do go there for a visit if you are an aircraft particularly jet geek, but be sure to return here frequently for a "melee" and "mingle" with the local crowd, okay?

P/S: An oil wash is a (weathering) technique which you can make the sunken panel lines as well as nooks and crannys of a model more visible. It's like adding shadows and it helps to bring out the details. It also serves as a form of weathering. Take a look at real aircrafts, dirt and grime do collect at the nooks and crannys of any hard to reach surface. The oil wash is composed of 80 to 90% thinner and 10-20% paint pigment. Majority go for oil-based wash versus enamel or acrylic-based because oils dry slow and you can wipe the excess off with a rag/tissue. Enamel wash is okay (unless of course you use enamel to paint your models too), and Acrylic wash sucks because it dries too fast (unless of course you want it that way). Washes are applied by big sable brush and pin-point washes by fine tipped sable brush.
Danial
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2008 - 01:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Each to his/her own I suppose. But my advice is, if you like this hobby very much and want to progress further, consider getting the whole setup (airbrush-compressor). Yes, it will be costly, but this after all a costly hobby! (oh, like you didn't know? heheh) You can never compromise with your passion folks!

Yeap, get a GOOD setup, for me i bought a 2nd hand compressor way back but it kinda get me frustrated most of the time during spraying and i ALMOST gave up this hobby.
eerie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2008 - 04:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

More money to burn but not for a good Airbrush?!

What is with you guys? Hahaha!

Even if you can buy a super nice kit, you'll still end up with a so-so finish and that is okay? Unless of course you can do wonders with the spraycan to look better than any airbrush painting, I'm going to shut my trap forever and bow down to call you sifu!... (Spraycans are better suited for car models, and I've called a number of car modellers sifu already!)

If you are a beginner and costs being the important factor, I'd do what Erisemen suggests - Academy aircraft kits aren't that bad. He uses spraycans for painting, which to me are quite okay, it's just that you can't do final finishing touches with it. Or more importantly, intricate camouflage patterns - you are limited by the unforgiving small hole of the spraycan nozzle. Small that it maybe, but spectacular wide spread of paint pigments that it is truly capable of! So much so that you must alway check your masked surface are well covered or else the pigments will seek and find themselves a cushy landing surface on your well built model! But otherwise, it is a good compromise for those who do not wish to dig too deep into their pockets. But make sure you have VERY good ventilation when you use the cans. Or else your doctor bills will be 1000 times more than an airbrush/compressor!

Yes, I'm very tempted by the Tamiya 1/48 F-16CJ too, but I'll only purchase it when I have to (like for decalling projects.. ) So is the HobbyBoss 1/48 A-10A, I've seen a number of completed builds over at www.aircraftresourcecenter.com and WOW superb model! Btw, they have an A-10A group build going on now. Do go there for a visit if you are an aircraft particularly jet geek, but be sure to return here frequently for a "melee" and "mingle" with the local crowd, okay?

P/S: An oil wash is a (weathering) technique which you can make the sunken panel lines as well as nooks and crannys of a model more visible. It's like adding shadows and it helps to bring out the details. It also serves as a form of weathering. Take a look at real aircrafts, dirt and grime do collect at the nooks and crannys of any hard to reach surface. The oil wash is composed of 80 to 90% thinner and 10-20% paint pigment. Majority go for oil-based wash versus enamel or acrylic-based because oils dry slow and you can wipe the excess off with a rag/tissue. Enamel wash is okay (unless of course you use enamel to paint your models too), and Acrylic wash sucks because it dries too fast (unless of course you want it that way). Washes are applied by big sable brush and pin-point washes by fine tipped sable brush.

Very well said, he has touch all the points from the above entry. Yes he was referring to me, the crusader of spraycans. To be honest, if you want to go far in the hobby, you ll need a compressor and the whole shebangs. Spray cans are quite limited on the stuff that you can do. Just take an F-16 for example, that 2 little curve near the cockpit where the 2 paintwork meet will be such an A%^* to make if u are using spray cans. A multi camou work like an IAF Netz or Barak would also be a bit hard to reproduce with spray cans.
But that doesn t mean its the end of the world. With lots of people here to help you ll still get somewhere with ur projects.
F-16 & Spray cans...
There are F-16s which doesnt have the "2 curve" near the cockpit, some have straight vertical lines when the 2 paint meet. Multi camou is still possible but its not an easy task, i ll show u some photos once i get to spray my "test run" Netz. Which is a cheap academy F-16. You can still do stencils, which i m currently attempting with the design given to me by my israeli friends. Will also update you guys on that project soon.
Wash
I tried as mention the wash method, it does work. My first F-16 was washed twice and it does bring out the lines here and there. But nevertheless being a first project there are always room for improvements.

So dude,
Its you choice on ur move in this hobby. ITs a great hobbies full of trials and error...and the occasional skirmish and melees...
CombatKrieg
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2008 - 06:44 PM UTC
Well thanks for the tips... I know that Academy makes good & good model kits and so far this is my first one from Tamiya... All my earlier ones were from Academy... At least they provide a small packet of glue for ya...

Thanks all for your tips, especially on the washes and air compressor, well can't help it though, i'm just a student... Money only comes in during the holidays...
kriegsketten
Vendor
ECHELON
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2008 - 10:52 PM UTC
I dig your situation. Been there, done it. But as a student (16) I did scrounge as much as I could to to get myself a AB set (350 - sucky!). So if Lawrence can do it, so can you!

As a student I assume you have other interests as well, primarily the other primate! Flowers, movies, chocolates, dinner, games, sports. flashy clothing, cool shoes... All costs money, so the story goes...

Anyway, just to let you know MH is having a sale (I don't know about the Marina Store) at Vivocity branch - 30% off many things which I believe includes the ABs... One of the set can be purchased at around $50 to $60. And hey, that costs just as much as the Tamiya F-16CJ mentioned earlier! I think I'm planning to get it as an alternative to my Badger 150. At least it has a cap over the cup!!
CombatKrieg
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2008 - 11:02 PM UTC
Lol true... Oh btw does it include the full set including the compressor?
eerie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 12:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Lol true... Oh btw does it include the full set including the compressor?

I doubt so dude.
kriegsketten
Vendor
ECHELON
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 02:17 AM UTC
Yeah, sorry man. No compressor included. Actually, with Airbrush this cheap, the compressor is the biggest hurdle now. It use to be both, making the hurdle almost impossible to clear. Now, if you can afford Tamiya kits (most ranges in the 50s to 60s anyway) surely the AB isn't a problem. The next target would be the compressor. An alternative would be to use a tire (compressor replacement). Cheaper but looking weird with a tire nearby when you spray.
CombatKrieg
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 03:54 AM UTC
Hmm are the airbrushes there good? I might be getting that one soon... And any good recommendations of good compressors?
 _GOTOTOP