Community Forum: Singapore / 新加坡
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Hi all!
khairy1974
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 33 Posts
KitMaker Network: 26 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 04:16 AM UTC
Talking about airbrushes, does anyone know where to get Iwata Ab.....seem to be weapon of choice for the pro-modellers...
kriegsketten
Vendor
ECHELON
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 283 Posts
KitMaker Network: 96 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 11:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Talking about airbrushes, does anyone know where to get Iwata Ab.....seem to be weapon of choice for the pro-modellers...

When you watch the pros at a highly tensed Badminton / Tennis / Basketball / Football match on TV, you allow yourself to be "enticed" by the brands they use. And you'll most likely buy the branded goods (rackets/shoes/balls) because "you want to be like Mike".

I don't know, I think the same effect on the audience can be drawn from any professionals in any field that they are paying attention to. To me, a good quality T-shirt without a famous brand attached to it is as good as any T with "Gorgio Armani / D & G / blah blah blah" name on it. In otherwords, go figure!...

If you're looking for Iwatas, I think the local stores (Art F, etc) carries Badger and Paasche range, so your hunt will most likely have to be on Ebay and the net. I've just went around lately to look for certain materials, at the same time checked on the ABs - which is what any modeller would do when they visit the art stores. I don't believe I saw the Iwatas. I think the set with the finger trigger (you hold it like a gun) makes a big difference among most of the other brands because it allows you a longer comfort period. Just yesterday I was joking among a few modellers: "for a better / perfect aim, you might wanna attach a sniper scope on top of the piece". The trigger feature makes that Iwata special among all the Iwata pieces.
kriegsketten
Vendor
ECHELON
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 12:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hmm are the airbrushes there good? I might be getting that one soon... And any good recommendations of good compressors?

I haven't used them before, but gathering what I've heard from those who used and like it - they ought to be good enough. They can generally do 0.3mm lines - which I think is suffice for any tight soft-edged camo pattern (yes, Erizemen - your tricky curves afront the F-16 is way too easy for this AB already.. ) I think the main trick is not the equipment, but the paint-thinner mix which the newbies are always not aware of. When they see splotches or spurts of paints on the models, they think it's the AB's fault instead of their own doing (not enough or too much thinner). Secondly, and mostly ignored trick is the Psi - air pressure from the compressor. Many set it on too high, and thus you'll get unnecessary overspray (you "fumigate" yourself )! If you set the psi on low, you can even spray the finest lines with highly thinned paints.

As for compressors, I think the most affordable ones are Sparmax (Taiwan) - correct me if I'm wrong here. Get the one with a tank and an air-regulator/water-trap (VERY important feature). This feature allows you to control the air flow (Psi mentioned above) as well as trap unnecessary water (condensation). Without it, "fumigation" (*cough, cough*) happens and after a while you'll get to spray water along with paint onto the model - and there goes your impressive paint job! Tank compressors may be big and a bit more pricey than the non-tank types, but the former is silent (you can spray happily into the late nights and no one would give a damn what you do). The non-tank ones maybe cheaper but they are just plain noisy and irritating to yourself, pet dog/cat/tortise/bird, family, neighbour (they should just ban this type altogether! ) !! Keep in mind to always release the air after use - I'd hold air inside the hose after detaching the AB and to release it in order to spurt out the water inside the tank to minimised rusting. That's as much as maintenance of tank compressors goes.
Danial
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 693 Posts
KitMaker Network: 390 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 02:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hmm are the airbrushes there good? I might be getting that one soon... And any good recommendations of good compressors?

I am using a sparmax compressor. Quite good, not much hassle and best, no topping up of oil. I got mine for $300 but if your looking for a high grade one, its called sil-air, not to be confuse with silkair. That i think would cost about $700+.
Danial
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 693 Posts
KitMaker Network: 390 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 02:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Just yesterday I was joking among a few modellers: "for a better / perfect aim, you might wanna attach a sniper scope on top of the piece".

Good one there, i was thinking of the same thing before.
kriegsketten
Vendor
ECHELON
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 03:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I am using a sparmax compressor. Quite good, not much hassle and best, no topping up of oil. I got mine for $300 but if your looking for a high grade one, its called sil-air, not to be confuse with silkair. That i think would cost about $700+.

Yup, seems like for an affordable set up, Sparmax is good for it. Imagine, one Badger compressor I bought years ago costs me about 400! WITHOUT Air-regulator/Water trap and No hose! And we're talking about the noisy kind! Well, for the second piece, I've got myself a Sil Air - that time it costs 600 I think. Prices have gone up. Till today, I'm still a happy camper.

Guess, what? I just went and bought myself an AB at Viviocity store today - the kind I've been looking for (double action, built-in paint cup on top WITH CAP, 0.3mm fine line capability) and all for a measley 55+! Heck I don't even remember it's name! Now I could have bought the Tamiya 148 F-16CJ but I didn't... The AB is afterall, a modeller's long time companion and friend... (Right Erizemen? Just ribbing ya...)

I'll test it out and let you guys know what I think of the AB - maybe I've been dubed, then again, maybe not!
eerie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 1,008 Posts
KitMaker Network: 655 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 03:26 AM UTC
Yes it is the best of companion. My love hate story about AB system is the space. I have no space to store the whole unit. Maybe when i get my own home, i might be able to squeeze in one. So stop tempting me...
kriegsketten
Vendor
ECHELON
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 03:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Yes it is the best of companion. My love hate story about AB system is the space. I have no space to store the whole unit. Maybe when i get my own home, i might be able to squeeze in one. So stop tempting me...

I've just tested the new AB... to see if it can do fine lines....

Guess what? It's time for my Badger 150 to rest in peace... (maybe let my boy play around with it when he builds his Academy 1/72 Apache) Not only the new AB can do what my Badger does with thin lines, the cleaning up part took less than 1/2 the time! What a time saver! Mai tu liao! If you want an AB the time is now! Regular price for the set is 79.90! After discount it's only 55+! Teehee, do I sound like a regular CNY sales-Beng selling muah-chees at Chinatown...

Erizemen, what space problem? Hide it under the bed! Or in the closet! Better yet, throw away your pillow on the bed and put the compressor there! Remember your ah-mah's brick shaped, rock-hard pillow? If Ah-mahs can do it, soh can you!
khairy1974
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 03:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Yup, seems like for an affordable set up, Sparmax is good for it. Imagine, one Badger compressor I bought years ago costs me about 400! WITHOUT Air-regulator/Water trap and No hose! And we're talking about the noisy kind! Well, for the second piece, I've got myself a Sil Air - that time it costs 600 I think. Prices have gone up. Till today, I'm still a happy camper.

Guess, what? I just went and bought myself an AB at Viviocity store today - the kind I've been looking for (double action, built-in paint cup on top WITH CAP, 0.3mm fine line capability) and all for a measley 55+! Heck I don't even remember it's name! Now I could have bought the Tamiya 148 F-16CJ but I didn't... The AB is afterall, a modeller's long time companion and friend... (Right Erizemen? Just ribbing ya...)

I'll test it out and let you guys know what I think of the AB - maybe I've been dubed, then again, maybe not!

Bro....test the AB out and please advise us....
CombatKrieg
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 517 Posts
KitMaker Network: 71 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 03:49 AM UTC
Whoaho... Seems like that AB's pretty good... Where's the shop located at? I get lost at Vivocity pretty often lol...
eerie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 03:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Whoaho... Seems like that AB's pretty good... Where's the shop located at? I get lost at Vivocity pretty often lol...

Dude,
The force is strong in him...now i m tempted...but remember, still have to get the whole she bang..thats just the AB..
I might get one also lah..
kriegsketten
Vendor
ECHELON
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 03:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I just did - 120% satisfaction! Do you want a really used and matted (yes, the shine's gone) Badger 150? I can sell you for 100 bucks (brand new 150 retails 200+) and then I can go top up another 10+ and get TWO more of the same new AB I just bought... Muahahahah! After that, I can get a splitter for the hose, mix three different paints into 3 ABs! Erizemen, Israeli F-16 3-tone camouflage? **tempt tempt**
kriegsketten
Vendor
ECHELON
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 04:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It's too easy - right in the vicinity where you buy GV movie tickets! If you still cannot find it, look for Challenger computer store (opposite GV), it's right next to it!

kriegsketten
Vendor
ECHELON
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 04:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Dude,
The force is strong in him...now i m tempted...but remember, still have to get the whole she bang..thats just the AB..

PRECISELY! Now the AB is the easy part, you just have to climb one last mountain to see the greener grass on the otherside. Back in the old days, we have TWO mountains to climb!

The next time you look at the BEAUTIFUL Tamiya F-16 CJ, don't buy (what's the rush anyway? It's not like they'll be out of production anytime now?). Instead, re-target your energy towards that all-important AB... Do this for another 6 times, you will soon afford that 300 Sparmax compressor! Hahhah - EASY! Then, you start reverting your attention back on that CJ kit (trust me, it will still be around). Then you'll start mumbling to yourself: "3- tone Israeli F-16? Bah! Chicken feed..."
eerie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 04:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Dude,

PRECISELY! Now the AB is the easy part, you just have to climb one last mountain to see the greener grass on the otherside. Back in the old days, we have TWO mountains to climb!

The next time you look at the BEAUTIFUL Tamiya F-16 CJ, don't buy (what's the rush anyway? It's not like they'll be out of production anytime now?). Instead, re-target your energy towards that all-important AB... Do this for another 6 times, you will soon afford that 300 Sparmax compressor! Hahhah - EASY! Then, you start reverting your attention back on that CJ kit (trust me, it will still be around). Then you'll start mumbling to yourself: "3- tone Israeli F-16? Bah! Chicken feed..."

Alright alright...i ll see how to navigate around getting a space for painting station.
Anymore talk about AB and compressor to be moved into the Airspray what knots topic before the forum police comes in to break the riot.
khairy1974
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 04:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I just did - 120% satisfaction! Do you want a really used and matted (yes, the shine's gone) Badger 150? I can sell you for 100 bucks (brand new 150 retails 200+) and then I can go top up another 10+ and get TWO more of the same new AB I just bought... Muahahahah! After that, I can get a splitter for the hose, mix three different paints into 3 ABs! Erizemen, Israeli F-16 3-tone camouflage? **tempt tempt**

Mmmmmmmm........have to pass one the graceful offer........hahahahah
With that kinda money, I think buying two new AB is definitely the choice...
kriegsketten
Vendor
ECHELON
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 05:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Mmmmmmmm........have to pass one the graceful offer........hahahahah
With that kinda money, I think buying two new AB is definitely the choice...

Awww really? It's Badger you know?

It's obvious that I've made the offer in jest . Even if I really try to sell it - I don't think anyone would be interested - the external surface layer has already corroded away removing the shine it once boasted. No rusting however, which goes to show that it's made of good material afterall. Now, I'm not sure the new AB I've bought will be able to last as long as my Badger 150. But, for the moment, the new AB is here to thrill and excite. The 150 will still be my back-up.
khairy1974
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 05:03 AM UTC
Bro, how long have you used the Badger?
kriegsketten
Vendor
ECHELON
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 05:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Bro, how long have you used the Badger?

Bought it in 94... 2nd hand set.
khairy1974
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 12:34 PM UTC
Your Badger is a testimonial of good quality and care....
14 years of good service.....
kriegsketten
Vendor
ECHELON
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 03:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Your Badger is a testimonial of good quality and care....
14 years of good service.....

Well, after ruining two earlier ones, Badger 350 and another cheaper Badger model which can't do fine lines for anything (nobody taught me I needed to thinned the paints - used Tamiya Acrylics straight out of the bottle and choked the two to death!). The 150 was my third piece after years of hiatus due to studies and work, I've learnt my lessons to protect my investment well... So far, I've only changed the needle and tip to a fine type, the original set came with a medium tip. If Badger bothers to release a cup with a cap as an accessory, I'd have gotten it as well, and not bother with any new AB - cheap or not.

One thing about Badger - you can definitely get spare parts easily... :-)

CombatKrieg
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 03:22 PM UTC
Yup... i'll get the AB first... The compressor can wait for awhile more...
kriegsketten
Vendor
ECHELON
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 04:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Erizemen, if Russell and Lawrence can do it, Sorh Can YOU!!! Kakakakakah! (Major pain-in-the-butt)

Btw, Russell, if you do happen to drop by the Vivocity store - remember to check out the Hobby Boss's A-10A (which is what this thread is about)!

CombatKrieg
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 04:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Erizemen, if Russell and Lawrence can do it, Sorh Can YOU!!! Kakakakakah! (Major pain-in-the-butt)

Btw, Russell, if you do happen to drop by the Vivocity store - remember to check out the Hobby Boss's A-10A (which is what this thread is about)!

Hoho, no problemo... I feel like getting a HB Leopard2A4
khairy1974
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 09:37 PM UTC
Hei Russell...how's your A-10 coming along?