_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Whats Your Favorite Building Time?
chip250
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 1,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 606 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 13, 2003 - 04:56 PM UTC
What time do you like to work on your projects? Would it be later at night? Early in the morning? And also, whats your favorite season to work?

Me? I work on my planes at night, and love the Summer and Fall to build them, and work on armor.

Thanks!

~Chip
Grasshopp12
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 205 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 13, 2003 - 10:24 PM UTC
Whenever I feel like it. Morning, afternoon, night, spring, winter, fall, that awful summer...it's all the same to me. Building time is building time.
DutchBird
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 1,144 Posts
KitMaker Network: 230 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 13, 2003 - 10:46 PM UTC
Pretty much what Grasshopeer said... unfortunatly this has a tendency to lead to what many Dutch students call "soggen" (Studie Ontwijkend Gedrag, Studies Evading Behaviour in English)...

Though I have to say, winter is my favorite season, if I have to choose...
warlock0322
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,036 Posts
KitMaker Network: 152 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 13, 2003 - 10:49 PM UTC
I don't have a favorite season to work on projects, but when weather is dull and drabby I get in a mood to build. Time of day is mostly early in the morning before light when it is still cool and dark out, with the quiet of the dawn. The house is silent with only the radio in the background. I guess cause there is minimal interruption and I can hear myself think. Also when I am alone in the house too..
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 13, 2003 - 10:57 PM UTC
Well with three dogs, three cats, two kids, a wife and a job -hmmmm 5:30am to 7am is my best time. I do get sporatic time here and there. I will hit the bench and do coat of paint for 15 minutes, then go back to whatever, then back an hour later to remove a seam, etc ......
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 2,606 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 13, 2003 - 11:56 PM UTC
No prefs for season and time, the problem is to find available time to spend modelling! So I can answer that usually every season is fine because I can only follow the hobby from 10:00PM until I fell asleep...
Ciao
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2003 - 01:08 AM UTC
early in the day or after dinner is my favorite time.

Chris
Graywolf
Staff MemberSenior Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Izmir, Turkey / Türkçe
entire network: 6,405 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,013 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2003 - 01:15 AM UTC
as the kids go to sleep and as i feel good for modelling...usually after 11 pm till......... sometimes till morning,sometimes till wife tells ''come on you modelmaniac go to bed,you have to work this morning ''
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 3,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 684 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2003 - 01:36 AM UTC
I have a couple of favorite times, I get general assembly done on my lap on a TV tray after the kiddo is in bed and before 11pm. I have TONS of "started but not painted yet " kits sitting aound. I do my decaling then too.

Since I have access to my classroom on Sunday afternoon, and since I live in an apt. I do my airbrushing there.

I get a lot of completion-type building done during school vacations, when I can sit down and really concentrate ( and set up the hobby mess and leave it set up) for a few days at a time. So this week is a good week for me, I've got 20+ projects within striking distance, and only have to pick what to finish!

Mike
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2003 - 02:17 AM UTC
Me? I just do my work morning and afternoon. The model looks bad at night because of the bubbles. It always happen in cold weathers. I do the model outside so as the fumes of the spray cans go outside the house
JPeiper
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 317 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2003 - 02:22 AM UTC
Whenever I have "free" time. Wife, kids, job, house.... modelling. Unfortunatly, a distant 5th.
During the week, I can squeeze an hour or so at night after everyone has gone to bed. Weekends.... whenever I have a moment...

Keith
panzer_fan
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 427 Posts
KitMaker Network: 66 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2003 - 02:27 AM UTC
Especially in the afternoons (I build in weekends only) when the rest of the house is sleeping. In terms of season, rainy days and cold winter brings the mood much easily, but generaly, whenever I feel like if the schedule allows me to.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 8,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 963 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2003 - 02:57 AM UTC
:-) I build when I feel like it, any time of the day or season. I don't watch very much television so there is ample time through the evening. When I'm back to work I won't be able to be so flexable but the evenings will still be good. I some times lay off for a few days. When I do model it could be just for a few minutes or several hours. :-)
Mal
Bombshell
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 293 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2003 - 03:04 AM UTC
I like building/assembling in the morning and airbushing in the afternoon. My favorite season and pretty much the only season I have to build models is during the Summer since that is when I have no more classes. I already have a bunch of projects planed down the line.

Cheers,

CDT Reimund Manneck
U.S. Army ROTC
2-2dragoon
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 171 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2003 - 04:34 AM UTC
Late evenings... like 9 to midnight. Saturday night is my best time, but whenever I can, but almost always at night. In the winter I will do it weekends as well, but during the summer up here, if the weather is good, I have way too many outside projects to do.
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 3,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 678 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2003 - 04:34 AM UTC
I usually can get an hour of work in between 5 and 6 PM.Then there is usually a break until after I get my caretaking duties with my mother done,after 9 Pm.I can get another 2 hours in after that.Saturdays I can go from 10 AM until about 12,when I go to the LHS.
And if I have no evening plans,I can work from about5-7 pm,then 9-1 or so.
I have planned ahead this year,I vented my spraybooth outside,and set it up in the basement,so hot weather will not slow me down.Well,back to work.
Bribo
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
entire network: 205 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2003 - 04:47 AM UTC
I think my favorite time is wahtever day i can call in sick Seriously, I really like to work early in the morning. Thats when i have the best natural light in the house.
cfbush2000
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
entire network: 1,796 Posts
KitMaker Network: 479 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2003 - 04:53 AM UTC
Mostly in the evening, anytime of year.
But my Favorite is Saturday night. At about 8 PM I go to my modeling room and turn on the TV. I watch some Brit sit-coms on PBS, then the news, then SNL. Well, mostly I listen, while I work on models. It's my most productive time (for modelling) and I look forward to it all week long. :-)
Darn, it's only Monday!
Chuck
Kaboom
Visit this Community
Armed Forces Europe, United States
entire network: 69 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2003 - 05:01 AM UTC
Any season, any time. Mostly at night after the kiddos go to bed. I roll my modeling desk in front of the TV or go out onto the balcony and fire up the airbursh.

Mark
PLMP110
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 1,318 Posts
KitMaker Network: 409 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2003 - 07:17 AM UTC
With my job, I work 24 on 48 off, so I do my best work during the weekdays on my days off. Wife is at work and daughter is at school. No interuptions.

Patrick
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2003 - 09:05 AM UTC
After 8:30/9:00 at night when my 21 month old daughter goes to bed. She is too curious and wants to play with everything. I usually modell for 2 -3 hours . Friday and saturday nights can be a bit longer. I have had to stop sometimes because wife and child have gotten up ...... the next morning. I only airbrush on saturdays or sundays....... when i have the time to start and finish what im doing. I hate having to clean up or clear away while spraying.
airwarrior
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 2,085 Posts
KitMaker Network: 559 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2003 - 09:42 AM UTC
winter/ any time I get the chance to.(which is about 3 hours a day.)
StukeSowle
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 599 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2003 - 10:40 AM UTC
Generally, on weeknights. I work nine to six, Monday through Friday. In addition, my fiance is usually working at night, so I have a lot of free time then. I have a card table out in my living room in front of the TV, so that I can watch all the sports my little heart desires while I model away. I don't get much done on the weekend as that is the only time I get with the Old Lady.

No season in particular, well...maybe a bit more in the summer evenings as I watch baseball.
yagdpanzer
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 415 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2003 - 11:13 AM UTC
In the evening of the days I'm not baby sitting 4 to 6 grandkids. Both my daughters are nurses and pull 12 hour shifts.

My favorite quote is from one of my daughters, "Pop doesn't work anymore so we don't have to hire a baby sitter".

Matrix
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 528 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2003 - 11:56 AM UTC
Any chance I get Im behind my work table modeling away.
 _GOTOTOP