_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Christmas Goodies
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 25, 2007 - 06:21 AM UTC
Fed up listening to my daughter and wife singing karokee on the PS2 singstar, I was flopping around and decided to post some images of my Christmas goodies. Thought it would be interesting if more did the same!

Got mostly ref. books, as theres no point adding to the stash considering my recent build rate.

And some useful AM for kits already in the stash

Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 25, 2007 - 09:27 AM UTC
Merry Christmas Frank, to you and your family, enjoy the karokee, as the kids grow up way too fast.
Nice selection of books, and aftermarket. We'll be looking forward to seeing them used.

Being single, and living alone, I'm well known for spoiling myself. (the cats haven't mastered click and ship yet, and I don't trust them with my credit cards) I'll post some of my selfish haul later during the week.
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 2,713 Posts
KitMaker Network: 159 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 25, 2007 - 11:15 AM UTC
Frank, the Stug III Stowage Set looks interesting -- nice set of goodies to put up. In reality however -- would this be practical, as it seems to clutter up the on the engine deck (?). Ordered reference books myself as well -- got influenced into buying MMIR's Tiger and Jagpanzer guides, and finally ordered Jentz's set on Panzertruppen. Cheers

Trivia: did you know that the karaoke was invented by a Filipino. That's what been said, and it has gone a long way since it first came out using dual cassette tape systems.
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 25, 2007 - 03:01 PM UTC
In the past, my family has tried to support my hobby with gift certificates and the like. I do remember one time back in the mid-90s when we were as poor as church mice (living on VA checks and part-time jobs, plus I was going to college full-time), and my wife somehow scrimped and saved and got me a Tamiya Dragon Wagon. She even talked the LHS owner into giving her my IPMS discount. It was a huge surprise, considering my normal Christmas haul was a $20 gift certificate and a new pair of slippers.

This year, I asked my children (both now in their early 20s) to get me Ken Burns' "The War" on DVD. I fully expected to get the slippers and a gift card, but lo and behold, my loving children came through! I am thoroughly tickled!
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 3,770 Posts
KitMaker Network: 747 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 25, 2007 - 03:40 PM UTC
Totally unexpected, and non-modeling related, but I got a heck of a surprise. No, not another youngin'!! Whew.

A couple of months ago, my wife and I were talking about movies we'd like to see and maybe get....I had mentioned that it would really be kool if the came out with the Bourne Trilogy, now that the latest is out.....didn't think twice about again as I figured THAT wouldn't happen til maybe mid to late next year.

Welllll.....low and behold....they done did it, and by golly I got it! Watching them now and enjoying it to the max!

Merry Christmas all!

Mike
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 25, 2007 - 03:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

the Bourne Trilogy

What a coincidence -- That's what the kids got my wife!
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
Posted: Wednesday, December 26, 2007 - 03:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

the Bourne Trilogy

What a coincidence -- That's what the kids got my wife!

LOL ..... guess what ....................?
My mother-in-law got me this! Have never seen the 3rd part, but want to watch the first 2 again, before I see it. Looks like Mr. Bourne has made quite an impression. My wife got me the first season box-set of prison break ... which I have never seen either ... so I got somethings to keep me occupied before I go back to work!

Quoted Text

I'm well known for spoiling myself.

Well Dave ... truth to be told ... the original list was me spoiling myself as well!

Tat ... there´s loads of images with Stug IIIs and Pzr IIIs with the engine deck well cluttered up. It didnt affect the grills as these were placed on the hull sides and the stug didn´t have a rotating turret. I guess this kit is aimed at the new smart kit, but theres no schurzern bars on it, so they´ll need to be scrounged from something else. Its a great quality set, and cheap as chips when compared to the equivelent sets from Blast. Bill Plonk has a review of this set here on Armorama .... I could write the review word for word .... some small pieces were broken on mines also!
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 2,713 Posts
KitMaker Network: 159 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 10:01 AM UTC
Thanks Frank. Looks like a good subject to build -- have seen a pic of an Pz III Ausf K with two large stowage boxes at the back. Somehow I got a lot of those jerry cans / fuel drums in the stash after buying several Tamiya AM sets -- when all I'm after were the buckets Cheers
05Sultan
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 2,870 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,044 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 10:47 AM UTC
As far as modeling proper goes, I got a couple tubes of super glue in my stocking.
However,I must have been a Very good boy as the wife gave me a 22" monitor and sub woofer equiped speaker system for my computer! >&:)
Gave my son ,the history major,the complete DVD set of Band of Brothers.He was very happy!
Oh yeah,Wife will get big screen LCD TV as soon as she decides how big and how much OT I have to put in.
Cheers for spending freely!
Jon_Vancil
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
entire network: 175 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 12:30 PM UTC
Here's my loot. (Note: the Crusader MkI is missing that was a Boxing Day gift). The tracks on the ISU152 and Elefant are horrid for lack of a better word.
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 4,287 Posts
KitMaker Network: 824 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 01:44 PM UTC
I got a single model, Dragons Hummel, and two reference books on the P-51. I'm good with that. What totally blew me away was what my wife gave me/us, a 7 day live aboard scuba trip to the Bahama's next year and a $100 gift cert. (for me) to the local dive shop. I was floored. I think I'll keep her. With the weather sitting at a teeth chatteing 17 degrees, the Bahama's is looking pretty damn good right about now. I hate having to wait 6 months though...Oh well. "Q"
HawkeyeV
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 319 Posts
KitMaker Network: 184 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 03:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

In the past, my family has tried to support my hobby with gift certificates and the like. I do remember one time back in the mid-90s when we were as poor as church mice (living on VA checks and part-time jobs, plus I was going to college full-time), and my wife somehow scrimped and saved and got me a Tamiya Dragon Wagon. She even talked the LHS owner into giving her my IPMS discount. It was a huge surprise, considering my normal Christmas haul was a $20 gift certificate and a new pair of slippers.

This year, I asked my children (both now in their early 20s) to get me Ken Burns' "The War" on DVD. I fully expected to get the slippers and a gift card, but lo and behold, my loving children came through! I am thoroughly tickled!

I remember those days Bob! You still held your head high! Now you're living the good life. Merry Christmas!
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 08:31 PM UTC
I'm always good, and Senile Santa always comes through.

Under the non-existence tree were:
1. Accurate Armour's Fordson E83w Mobile Canteen Van.
2. Comwell's M-5 High Speed Tractor.
3. Real Models Diamond T 980/981 Tractor with Rogers Trailer.
4. Various photo etched sets.
5. Various resin sets.
6. A few resin figures.

Non modeling items included a new pair of dress shoes, and a pair work boots. ( I was hoping for a pair of snowpacs, but they didn't have my size.

From on line and off line-friends:
1. a couple of figures
2. a flashing rubber ducky that keeps me company at my computer desk.
3. several pounds of gourmet coffee-- from various people. (they all know I have a bad coffee adiction)
4. a new leather chapeau---- from the supervisor, first time I've ever gotten a gift from a supervisor at work! (But they sure look for and expect one from us!)
5. A Master Production Leroi Compressor Conversion.
6. A Roy Models Ford WOC 8cwt.
7. A book of funny and strange sayings!
8. More overtime, and insanity at work than I can handle.
JackBlock
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 144 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 28, 2007 - 11:16 AM UTC
Merry Christmas to everyone (a bit late, but for my family I'm right on time ) My wonderful wife got me a new Marmot jacket to keep me warm and dry on my bicycle commute to/from work. As far as the hobby side of things she sent me to the store. Her: "I don't know what you have or don't have so get whatever you want". I tell ya I worship the ground this woman walks on. I came home with a waist high stack of kits and she did't even bat an eye. Truth be known I support her equine habit and triathalon addiction.
Cheers to a Happy New Year for everyone

Dave
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 8,797 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,186 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 28, 2007 - 12:37 PM UTC
Ola Guys

Nice thread. Some good gifts there.

Well For years at birthdays and other holidays here I tried to get Tamiya paint from my family. And never got it... always the excuse of "we don't know which colors you want" So last year I tried it again simplifying the assignment by telling them I wanted "Military" colors Well you might expect people would pick that up... But again nothing... so this year with my birthday I tried to simplify it even more. "military" colors (greens, browns, greys, black) well you might think they would get the idea don't you... but nothing with my birthday... they did give me an envelope with money so I could pick my own. At least that was some progress. So this year for christmas I actually wrote up the address of the shop where I usually get my paint. And told them again the Military colors list. and lo and behold I got paint this year... 8 jars of it. And correct colors. My next step would be making pictures of the store and the location of it in the street and a pic of the paintrack with some highlighting of which colors would be good. But I think it is not neccesary anymore. Wonder if I am the only person who had this problem.

Next to the 8 jars of Tamiya acrylic I got:
socks

One of those things we call third hands in Holland. Been wanting one of those for a long time.

One of those... I don't know how they are called in English but they are really a good thing to have

One of these nifty things... lightweight magnifying spectacles.

Further some very small gravel in several colors which are brilliant for stones and pebbles in scale.
Pyramids and Wintersmith 2 Discworld novels
And two nice warm pullovers for the cold months here in Holland.
oh and a book about retrographic design

That was my booty for this year. Pretty please dthe family found their way tothe paint and of course very happy with the tools. Must have been good this year.

With friendly greetz

Robert Blokker
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
Posted: Friday, December 28, 2007 - 01:00 PM UTC
Guys .... we gotta smarten up. At the end of October every year, we need to go to some supermarket and buy 2 or 3 of those 10-packs of socks ..... and make sure everybody knows we have an adequate amount of socks.'
This appears to be an illness ... on a world scale ... where the women in our lives .... think we need socks and are content to get them. Make a stand today!
No more socks for Christmas or Birthday presents!!!
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 8,797 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,186 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 28, 2007 - 01:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Guys .... we gotta smarten up. At the end of October every year, we need to go to some supermarket and buy 2 or 3 of those 10-packs of socks ..... and make sure everybody knows we have an adequate amount of socks.'
This appears to be an illness ... on a world scale ... where the women in our lives .... think we need socks and are content to get them. Make a stand today!
No more socks for Christmas or Birthday presents!!!

With the risk of being called a giant pansy I have to say I quite like getting socks for christmas and such... it means I don't have to buy them myself. And I can spend my sock money on the more important stuff in life like adding the gazzillionth kit to the stash.

With friendly greetz

Robert Blokker
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,597 Posts
KitMaker Network: 673 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 28, 2007 - 01:13 PM UTC
Hi there

I must have been good cause I got a new scanner/copier/printer combo (ink jet that is) and an Italeri 109' Landrover Box No.3697.

I am dying to see if I can use the ink jet decal sheets that I bought ages ago on this copier. I bought the decal sheets early this year only to find that my scanner no longer worked on the new PC I had to buy to replace the old one that fried due to a virus or part failure (unknown).

Don't ya just love technology!!!!

Will need to see if there are any blogs on here on how to print your own decals now.

Nige
DeskJockey
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,558 Posts
KitMaker Network: 376 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 28, 2007 - 04:44 PM UTC
Very interesting thread! Here's my loot this year, courtesy of my wife and family:

Dremel Stylus motortool and electric screwdriver set
Tamiya paint jar stand
Tamiya spray painting stand
Hobby Boss Danish Leopard 2 A5DK
Hobby paint shaker
Two reference books
A photographic tent (for taking pictures of my models, of course!)
More books (non-modeling)
Ties
A shirt
and... socks!

Ever since I convinced my wife, parents, and inlaws that Amazon's wishlist was a good thing, gift shopping has been a lot easier and we have all gotten far fewer dud gifts for each other. Now if only I could set up a wishlist covering multiple web sites...
 _GOTOTOP