_GOTOBOTTOM
Introductions
If you are new to the network please post a little something here to introduce yourself.
Greetings from Canada!
vonGarvin
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 20 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 11, 2003 - 10:49 AM UTC
Hi all! I'm new here and am back into modelling. I put a message up elsewhere, but I can't remember where, so Here's my bio:
I'm 36 and I started to build models when I was about 10 or so. My first model was Darth Vader's Tie Fighter. I just glued it together: no paint. Then I did a few airplanes, this time with paint, but very little skill #:-). As I matured, my skill increased. My last effort at a plane, however, was an aborted attempt to put together a F18. I ended up attaching model rocket engines to it and let it loose into the woods. (Talk about frustrating but rewarding ) Anyway, I decided to stick to tanks and infantry. My models over the years have included a German PAK with crew, several Leopard Tanks, a marder or two, a Panther, a Tiger, a T 34/76 and I think I also did an M113. Then I got married ! I also stopped building models.
Flash forward to a week or two ago. It had been a month since I had quit smoking, and as a reward I bought the Tamiya kit "German Machine Gun Troops" (#35038 I think). I've refound some of my skills (SOME!!!!!) and am starting a dio. I'll post pics (good or bad) when finished. See you all soon!
airwarrior
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 2,085 Posts
KitMaker Network: 559 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 11, 2003 - 10:57 AM UTC
Welcome von garvin(cold up there?)back to the hobby! have a good time here and don't get too addicted!
BroAbrams
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,546 Posts
KitMaker Network: 494 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 11, 2003 - 11:48 AM UTC
Okay, eh, my Canadian is a little rusty, eh, but I will try and speak your language to make you feel more welcome, eh.

Sorry I can't resist that with my Canadian friends. Welcome. I hope you enjoy your time with us and learn a little and grow as a modeler. My first tip is going to be to throw away that machine gun crew set and get anything else made by tamiya after kit number 35100. Tamiya's figures are universally recognized as being the worst figures still in production.
Anyway, that said, if you choose to continue, I wish you all the luck in the world and post often. If you like figures, check out the figure forum moderated by Anders Heintz, whose work I have seen first hand and who does excellent work, he can give you lots of tips for good figures. If you want to get some better figures, try getting any DML/Dragon figure kits, they are inexpensive and well done with lots of nice equipment.

If we can be of assistance, ask anyone, we are all more than willing to help. Rank is based on number of posts (see rank info link below).

Rob

PS watch out for those DSB guys
StukeSowle
Visit this Community
entire network: 599 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 11, 2003 - 12:25 PM UTC
Welcome back to the game! You've found a great site....

And good luck with quitting smoking! I haven't quit yet, but manage to smoke just two cigs a day.....an much needed improvement. Now if I could just learn to put the whiskey down!
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 11, 2003 - 01:13 PM UTC
Welcome back to modeling. That seems to be the most common thread here. Don't let anybody talk you out of whatever kit catches your fancy. If nothing else any kit makes good practice. Isn't it great how people from all over the world can gather to talk about making Japanese kits of German equipment?

ArmouredSprue
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
entire network: 1,958 Posts
KitMaker Network: 720 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 11, 2003 - 01:34 PM UTC
A warm elcome from this side of the planet, I think you´re a luck guy, cos you just found the best modeling site all over the net...
Anything you want, just shoot the question, ok?
cheers
shermanfreak
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 380 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 11, 2003 - 02:06 PM UTC
From one Canucklehead to another, welcome to Armorama
vonGarvin
Visit this Community
Canada
Posted: Friday, April 11, 2003 - 02:11 PM UTC
Thanks to all for the warm welcome! The only problem about getting ANYTHING but Tamiya is the fact that the only hobby store for MILES in any direction has long since close The only place has a very limited selection and reasonably priced. IMHO these kits are "good enough", but I have seen some stinkers. The only problem is that the only paint they have is Testors! Anyway, I've already skimmed around this site and have learned MANY tips. Cheers!
KentVH
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 96 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 11, 2003 - 02:36 PM UTC
Hi there and welcome to the site.
I live in a rural area so i too have availabilty problems. The nearest hobby shop is 25km away and it is the only one short of making the 2hr trip to Calgary (Which I havent done to just get model supplies.) My "local" hobby shop has good kit selection and they have the full line of Model Masters enamals, which i find work pretty good. But they dont really have many specialty tools because i guess there is just not the demand. Due to this fact i would suggest shopping for equipment in the hardware store. I have found good stuff there and I find its cheaper than the hobby shop can sell for! You don't need special "hobby" equipment to make good models and have alot of fun too.
I also get stuff from the internet sometimes but its hard to find good sites that deal in Canadian dollars (which i prefer to use :-) ) I have found a good one though, check out http://www.militaryhobbies.ca/index.cfm?CategoryID=0 They have really good service.

Happy hunting and ask lots of questions. Milk the forums for all their worth!
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 11, 2003 - 06:35 PM UTC
welcome back..you'll find it's just like riding a bike and you'll quit throwing models across the room in frustration yea right
vlady
Visit this Community
Bucuresti, Romania
entire network: 534 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 11, 2003 - 08:32 PM UTC
welcome on the best site on the web. soon the canadians will be majoritars
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 2,606 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 11, 2003 - 08:42 PM UTC
Happy to welcome you on board. You're bumped in the best site on the net!!!
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 11, 2003 - 09:56 PM UTC
Welcome onboard vonGarvin. Hope you enjoy your time here. Remember there will always be difference of opinion on very small matters. Which paints to use, How good figures are etc. Litsen to what is suggested, but they are by no means law. The most important thing is that yu enjoy what you do, and model to your own means.
If you want to keep it on the cheap, you will find loads of excellent scratchbuilding tips and ideas for improvement. If you are willing to pay that bit more...... you only have ask what is the best on offer. But buying the most most expensive kits and tools wont make the best kits alone. You need skill, which can be developed over a short time and a little experience. I believe cheaper kits give a good start and at least if you are not happy with the results, you havent been robbed. Good luck with your models and we look forward to seeing your work!
Graywolf
Staff MemberSenior Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Izmir, Turkey / Türkçe
entire network: 6,405 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,013 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 11, 2003 - 11:09 PM UTC
welcome to armorama von garvin..i had a break when i got married too.it took a few years to show my wife modelling is the best indoor hobby.
you will see we are a great family here
panzer_fan
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 427 Posts
KitMaker Network: 66 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 11, 2003 - 11:26 PM UTC
Welcome vonGarvin. Here you'll find lots of answers to your questions. I personally found here a lot of help from these amazing guys.
Happy modelling!
vonGarvin
Visit this Community
Canada
Posted: Saturday, April 12, 2003 - 09:36 AM UTC
My first ever diorama is almost done. Only a cam net to go. Anyway, did I mention that I found a really cool hobby shop! It had TONS of stuff! Anyway, here's a link to a page with cruddy webcam pics of the diorama. I'm going to borrow my friend's digital cam, but until then, enjoy! PS: the two trenches are ten scale metres apart. Cheers!

http://groups.msn.com/ModelDiorama/shoebox.msnw?albumlist=2
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 12, 2003 - 09:40 AM UTC
Welcome and congrats on the dio almost being done. Lets see Intro post on the 11th finished dio on the 12th. Man that's some ratio. You next dio should be done and out by what next week
Just kidding - I believe you have found the best site around for this hobby - over 2300 people ready and able to help out and provide inspiration, help, assistance, etc etc.

Glad to have you here.
BroAbrams
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,546 Posts
KitMaker Network: 494 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 12, 2003 - 10:47 AM UTC
Don't think I was laying down the law or anything, Just havin a little fun. We try to keep things as light as possible, so things don't turn out like other sites. That is probably the most important thing, have fun, that's what modelling is for.

Rob
vonGarvin
Visit this Community
Canada
Posted: Saturday, April 12, 2003 - 11:04 AM UTC
Hi all. Just to avoid confusion, the diorama was started about two weeks ago. I found this site the other day when searching for help with dioramas. This was the first one that matched my parameters I put into Google! Lucky me, I hit the motherlode! Cheers, and am I EVER having fun. I just came home with a German 8cm mortar crew. I know, I know, Tamiya, but the close store only has Tamiya and I sometimes have little patience I'll keep you all posted re: my fits of rage and stuff. #:-) Cheers!
Matrix
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 528 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2003 - 07:07 AM UTC
Welcome aboard! Enjoy this great site.
HastyP
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,117 Posts
KitMaker Network: 570 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 23, 2003 - 01:58 PM UTC
KentVH

Thanks for posting that website. You have saved my diorama!
airwarrior
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 2,085 Posts
KitMaker Network: 559 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 23, 2003 - 02:33 PM UTC
aaaaahhhh you used the stiff crappy junky looking tamiya sand bags!! your dio looks great!! to fix those bags at least a little heat them up with a hair dryer or hot water or something of the sort and sag themm a bit should add a great deal of detail.no mean to be harsh just those tamiya things suck!! once again great dio

guy-who-likes-your-dio out
chip250
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 1,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 606 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 23, 2003 - 02:57 PM UTC
Welcome aboard this old tugboat! Make yourself at home!

~Chip #:-)
vonGarvin
Visit this Community
Canada
Posted: Friday, April 25, 2003 - 11:30 PM UTC
After I built that dio (again, my first ever and VERY basic.....just learning/re-learning how to even build a model without getting high on the glue!!! #:-) ), I realised that that sandbags are a bit too large to be truly 1/35. I will try to 'meld' them together more realistically on my next (which is currently in progress). Also, are their other sandbags out there I can get at 1/35 scale? Or what is a fairly good method to scratch build them? (without going insane, of course). Anyway, thanks for the comments, Cheers!
vonGarvin
Visit this Community
Canada
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2003 - 08:56 AM UTC
Just a taste so you don't have to fish for the site to see the references for the comments:
 _GOTOTOP