_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Tamiya weathering powders
spongya
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
entire network: 2,365 Posts
KitMaker Network: 474 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 12:32 PM UTC
Just curious. I saw those little boxes of powder from Tamiya. Are they any good? Is it worth to get them for dusting the models, or should I just stick to the pigments?
Also, what is "blue burned metal"? What is it good for? (This was the only color I could not really replicate from my powders.)
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 4,002 Posts
KitMaker Network: 648 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 04:22 PM UTC
Gday Andras
I have the Tamiya powders set 'A' with 'sand' 'light sand' and 'mud' being the shades.
The first two shades I rarely use, but the mud (far from being good as 'mud', ironically) suits me to a tee when building Shermans. Used in place of traditional drybrushing, it seems to be slightly more damp and therefore has more holding properties than pigments. I don't own any pigments so I may be biased in my assessment, but pastel chalks and this Tamiya powder seem to get me through... There's another set that has a better mud shade as well as whitewash, which would be interesting to sample. The sets come with a small spongy-a applicator, but I'd go with your own soft flat brush as the applicator is quick to wear, and its brush-end is too short?
Hope this helps
Brad
yeahwiggie
Visit this Community
Dalarnas, Sweden
entire network: 2,093 Posts
KitMaker Network: 149 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 10:22 PM UTC
I only use one of those, the one with the black "soot" in it.. This works quite good for me.
Cougar
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
entire network: 266 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 02:31 AM UTC
Andras,

Have a look at the videos in the link below. They give you some idea of what is possible

Tamiya Weathering Master Page

Regards,
Cougar
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 09:33 AM UTC
The burnt metal red and blue colors are for use on chrome or metalized exhaust pipes to give a burnt metal effect.
jowady
entire network: 1,027 Posts
KitMaker Network: 115 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 10:30 AM UTC
I use them but I also use Mig pigments and pastels. My advice is to try them, but I wouldn't count on any single substance being "the best"

John
spongya
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
entire network: 2,365 Posts
KitMaker Network: 474 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 02:05 PM UTC
Thanks for the answers
Next time I'll try Tamiya's homepage first...
Gorgoroth
Visit this Community
West Virginia, United States
entire network: 131 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 24, 2007 - 03:37 PM UTC
I have a couple of those Tamiya weathering kits..I have mixed feelings about those sets,as I have had mixed results when using them. Ive found that I can get them to work pretty good depending on the paint color. Yeah, They seem to work good with Shermans in Olive Drab and I actually finished a Stug III Ausf. B that is in Solid German Grey or if you prefer Panzer Grau in Model Masters.Ive had pretty disasterous results using them on my 3 tone German camo schemes though. They just don't seem to have much effect when it comes to that. Personally, I won't pay another $8.00 or so a pop for them again..I think thats what the cost was on Hobbylinc. I discovered that I can go to a Dollar store or Dollar tree and buy cheap pastel-like make up in the compacts.You can find alot of them that match mud,dirt,rust,dark earth,sand etc. Just make sure when you buy them that it doesn't have that glittery material that some compact make-ups have.However, you can tell by just looking at the colors.Ive actually had awesome results with these believe it or not. As for Pigments...those are nice to have, but I refuse to pay what MIG wants for his Pigs.Besides no shops around my way carry or seem to have heard of the product. Bragdon Pigments work well and at way half the price of MIG. I use alot of Earth Tone Pastels...but you get what you pay for when buying pastels. Don't waste your time buying the pastels from Wal-Mart. Go to an art store or decent craft store for those. Happy Holidays all!
 _GOTOTOP