Soldier Stories
Served in the military? Discuss your time and experiences here.
Hosted by Dave Willett
Drafting guys over 60 - a humorous thought
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 3,770 Posts
KitMaker Network: 747 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2007 - 02:37 PM UTC
A good friend sent this to me. Personally, I'd change the title to "Drafting Guys Over 40". When 9/11 happened, I was on retirement leave. Some time after that, the Army was looking for some retiree's to come back. I applied to be recalled to active duty - they said "No." They figured with my disability, I was too "broken" to do any good. I appealed. And lost. Guess they didn't need a seasoned Non-Com to teach the young pups.

Anyhow, here it is:

Drafting Guys Over 60

I'm over 60 and the Armed Forces say I'm too old to track down terrorists. (You can't be older than 42 to join the military.)

They've got the whole thing backwards. Instead of sending 18-year-olds off to fight, they ought to take us old guys. You shouldn't be able to join a military unit until you're at least 35.

For starters:

Researchers say 18-year-olds think about sex every 10 seconds.

Old guys only think about sex a couple of times a day, leaving us more than 28,000 additional seconds per day to concentrate on the enemy.

Young guys haven't lived long enough to be cranky, and a cranky soldier is a dangerous soldier. If we can't kill the enemy we'll complain them into submission. "My back hurts! I'm hungry! Where's the remote?"

An 18-year-old hasn't had a legal beer yet and you shouldn't go to war until you're at least old enough to drink. The average old guy, on the other hand, has consumed 126,000 gallons of beer, and a jaunt through the desert heat with a beer and an M-60 would do wonders for the old beer belly. (Note there are 24 hours in a day and 24 bottles in a case...another convenient way to measure time!)

An 18-year-old doesn't like to get up before 10 a.m.
Old guys always get up early to pee.

If captured we couldn't spill the beans because we'd forget where we put them. In fact, name, rank, and serial number would be a real brainteaser.

Boot camp would be easier for old guys. We're used to getting screamed and yelled at and we like soft food. We've also developed an appreciation for guns...We like them almost better than naps.

They could lighten up on the obstacle course however. I've been in combat and didn't see a single 20-foot wall with rope hanging over the side, nor did I ever do any pushups after completing basic training. I can hear the Drill Sgt now, "Get down and give me ... er .. one."

Actually, the running part is kind of a waste of energy. I've never seen anyone outrun a bullet.

An 18-year-old has the whole world ahead of him. He's still learning to shave, to carry on a conversation, and to wear pants without the top of his butt-crack showing and his shorts sticking out. He hasn't figured out that a pierced tongue catches food particles, a 400-watt speaker in the back seat of a Honda can rupture an eardrum, and that a baseball cap has a brim to shade eyes, not the back of his head.

These are all great reasons to keep our kids at home to learn a little more about life before sending them off into harm's way.

Let us old guys track down those dirty rotten cowards who attacked us on September 11. The last thing an enemy would want to see right now is a couple of million old farts with attitudes.

Mike....been there, wished that.
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2007 - 03:48 PM UTC
Makes sense to me..............
Neo
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 916 Posts
KitMaker Network: 88 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2007 - 04:02 PM UTC
I just read that the prime age for spec ops is late late 30 to early 40's. Mature but physicaly fit

So the 42 limit for all MOS's seems alittle young. The private sector won't discard you till 50ish. LOL

Unfortunally a few more years of this and they will take anybody (the Army is dropping it's overall req. again).

I wish they did'nt take me the the last time ( I look better in one piece) LOL
captfue
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 785 Posts
KitMaker Network: 210 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 12:11 PM UTC
Mike: I agree with you let the old guys go in. At 51 yrs I couldn't command a line company of grunts, but I could command the hell out of a training company, or some other REMF job. Maybe free up some yongster to go.
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,218 Posts
KitMaker Network: 760 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 12:43 PM UTC
I'm definitely too old for the British Army.

Can't be bothered anymore anyway. Been shafted too often by the politicians .
Cyberwombat
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 262 Posts
KitMaker Network: 40 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 02:23 PM UTC
I'd have to shed a few pounds to fit through the hatches on the Abrams, but I'm down with that!
BM2
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,361 Posts
KitMaker Network: 327 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 03, 2007 - 07:17 AM UTC
Actually the service takes any active duty and subtracts it from your current age - that is if you are 40 and you have 10 years active you become 30 for enlistment puposes- of course you will need to complete the required prt/pft. I am 47 and would go back as an E-5 however my disability rating is too high to get a waiver - (I tried) i got out in 1998 and would really love to serve at least one more cruise maybe some time with a small boat unit in Kuwait or Iraq- like most old NCO's I have a little bit of guilt in having these young guys pull the duty while I sit at home and cheerlead! - I guess this is what REMF's feel like.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 03, 2007 - 07:54 AM UTC
I'd sign up tomorrow, if I can bring my walker with me.

crappy snap, with my crappy webcam....
spongya
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
entire network: 2,365 Posts
KitMaker Network: 474 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 03, 2007 - 08:49 AM UTC
I don't think you'll find followers in the Pentagon. Young minds are easier to indocrinate generally -especially if they're not schooled too well. It's always easier to convince a teenager that shooting/torturing civilians is OK.

(And I don't think older dudes would take orders easily, to be honest.)
Whiskey6
Visit this Community
entire network: 408 Posts
KitMaker Network: 179 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 12:57 PM UTC
I think its a great idea. Let's do it!

I think I can still call in a fire mission.

Semper Fi, Dave
BM2
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2007 - 04:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I don't think you'll find followers in the Pentagon. Young minds are easier to indocrinate generally -especially if they're not schooled too well. It's always easier to convince a teenager that shooting/torturing civilians is OK.

(And I don't think older dudes would take orders easily, to be honest.)

I'd make an exception for some - I served for 10 years and was never -I REPEAT -never ordered to carry out an unlawful order. I would suggest you read the UCMJ (Universal Code of Military Justice ) before making remarks like this to a group that had so many veterans in it - by default you are stating that we committed these crimes and I personally find that repugnant. The vast majority of our service members serve with an honor ,loyalty and fidelity that seems to escape you - I'm curious did you serve?
BM2
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2007 - 04:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'd sign up tomorrow, if I can bring my walker with me.

crappy snap, with my crappy webcam....

I'll ship out with you Dave!
REMEARMR
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 443 Posts
KitMaker Network: 82 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2007 - 05:22 AM UTC
The British Army have been working towards this for years. The "chefs" have always turned out food that lacks cosistancy and doesn't need chewing
Whiskey6
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2007 - 06:14 AM UTC
John,

I couldn't agree with you more!

The UCMJ is pretty clear on what constitutes an unlawful order...as well as what constitutes murder and torture (assault and/or battery).

Since I spoke Vietnames fluently back in the dark ages, I had the opportunity to interogate a few prisoners, both NVA and locals. Personally, I never used any sort of torture nor did I see any used. We got pretty good information from the prisoners without any torture.......unless you count giving them C-rats as torture.

Unfortunately, our POW's in the North did not have it quite as easy. Folks seem to forget that torture in NVA prisons was a matter of policy. Funny how those 'democratic republics" always seem to get a free pass on that issue.

As to the murder of civilians......yes, murder was committed occassionally by U. S. troops......who were tried for their crimes. Unfortunately, little has ever been said about the thousands of civilians murdered en masse by the NVA in Hue during Tet, 1968...or after the fall of the South a few years later.

Semper fi,
Dave

dropshot
Visit this Community
Provincia de Pontevedra, Spain / España
entire network: 300 Posts
KitMaker Network: 80 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2007 - 06:32 AM UTC
This is one of the funniest & ironic things that I´ve read in a long time Mike but I´ll go along with what Murdo says because I´ve had some of the same. I´m not yet 40 but I am diabetic & the heat causes havoc with my controls.
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 3,770 Posts
KitMaker Network: 747 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2007 - 04:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

shooting/torturing civilians is OK

John and David. Thank you. This post was NEVER intended as ANYTHING other than humor. I should have put in the initial post that "Political Rants And Other Such Nonsense" should not be posted....as again.....MEANT as humor, nothing more.

Now that my dander is up, I too will take exception and would be curious if you served and when, where, and what service. There are a lot of folks here that have served...and served HONORABLY. Just as in any segment of our modern civilization, there are those that have screwed up. Look around you....read the news. What the heck is going on in Colorado right now?? It makes no sense...but it's happening. Indoctrinated to Murder or Torture? NO!

Anyhow, nuff. If one of the mods finds this "to heated," please close it down. The humor intent is withering. That in and of itself is repulsive.

Mike

p.s. On a lighter side: Ya cranky ole Squids and Jarheads (read Department of the Navy), not to mention the Lean Mean Fightin' Machines, think there are enough of us "old worn out kinda guys and gals" to form a Platoon or two?
Whiskey6
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 04:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

shooting/torturing civilians is OK

p.s. On a lighter side: Ya cranky ole Squids and Jarheads (read Department of the Navy), not to mention the Lean Mean Fightin' Machines, think there are enough of us "old worn out kinda guys and gals" to form a Platoon or two?

Mike -

Yep....I think we got enough! ...and that should be enough to win this thing!

Imagine the fear it would strike into the hearts of al Qaida to see a bunch of old goats coming after them?

They'd have to think, "Those old guys are crazier than we are! Let's get outa here before they do sumpin' stupid!"

Not as lean....Not as Mean...Still a Marine.

Semper Fi,
Dave

ps: If we can't have humor and fun here, then where can we?
smokeyjoe
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 21 Posts
KitMaker Network: 10 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 07:47 AM UTC
I was cleaning out some junk out of my closet not too long ago and found my web gear. I put it on and I was surprised on how heavy it was. I would love to fight against terrorist, but, alas all I can do is collect my retirement pay on the first of the month.

As for spongya, in 80s one of the tv networks did a story on the massacre of civilians in the hamlet of My Lai. But as Whiskey6 notes, no one even mentioned the thousands found in mass graves with their hands tied behind their backs and bullet holes in their heads outside of Hue. We signed a treaty with the North and they broke it. The killing really didn't begin in southeast Asia until after we left 1975. Estimates begin at 2,000,000 and go up. Another million hopped into row boats to cross the Pacific. Hanoi Jane's peaceable NVA routinely killed and tortured civilians as a policy.
Spongya did you know the Japanese killed an average of 5,000 Chinese civilians every day from 1937 until 1945. Terrorist target civilians as a policy.

Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 06:34 PM UTC
At my age, with death knocking at the door, I would volunteer for one of those fancy sue-e-cide missions, walker, cane and oxygen bottle and all.

Quoted Text

On a lighter side: Ya cranky ole Squids and Jarheads (read Department of the Navy), not to mention the Lean Mean Fightin' Machines, think there are enough of us "old worn out kinda guys and gals" to form a Platoon or two?

I'd rather have one Marine next me than a battalion of --- "fill in the blank"--- in front of me!

Just remember men, there is a hide user button that brings great comfort to all who use it.
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 21, 2008 - 01:32 AM UTC
The Army has a program going on where selected retirees are recalled. They serve in garrison and staff organizations on installations and are not deployable or promotable. They receive the appropriate pay for their grade and time in service plus earn the extra retirement percentage (2.5% per year).

They are not required to take PT tests or meet the table height/weight standards, but are required to maintain a military appearance (I guess you can be fat as long as you don't look fat). They do not receive evaluation reports.

It is designed to free up deployable senior Soldiers that would normally be serving in nondeployable positions. The downside to this program is that these positions were normally looked at as a "break" for a Soldier who spends 85% of his or her career in divisional service. It keeps those Soldiers out in the force without a break resulting in senior leaders with 3-4 deployments within a 6 year span. Multiple deployments result in Soldiers retiring when they hit the 20 year mark which in turn leads to the need to recall selected retirees to fill the shortfall in the force.

As to the gentleman from Florida, I find his comments insulting.
CReading
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,726 Posts
KitMaker Network: 558 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 21, 2008 - 02:41 AM UTC
You can always tell who served and who sits around watching network TV and listening to Air America.

"As to the gentleman from Florida, I find his comments insulting."

I couldn't agree more.

Cheers,
Charles
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, April 21, 2008 - 03:07 AM UTC
Remember men, we fought and many died so he can say the Bull [auto-censored]!
spongya
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
entire network: 2,365 Posts
KitMaker Network: 474 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 21, 2008 - 06:03 AM UTC
Well, I put out a coat on display, and everybody rushed to put it on...
The indoctrination part is certainly true, and was meant about all people without respect to their nationality. I was thinking about the Nazis, the Taliban, the recent events in the Balkans which some parts I had the "privilege" to bear witness to, yes, the Japanese atrocities, etc -all prime example of indoctrination of soldiers/fighters to hatred at a young age, supporting the original statement that kids need education, not war. Wasn't meant to be humorous, but not offensive, either. It seems like it has hit a raw nerve, though - wow.

(I also would like to kindly point out that not one soldier died for my freedoms, certainly not Grumpy. In fact, nobody did (not in the 20th century, that is). As a matter of fact, besides WWII (with reservations), Korea (also) and Bosnia, I can't really find more wars out of many when blood was shed by Allied/NATO powers -or Soviet, just to mention the other side, and everybody can sleep better- for anybody's freedom. Makes a nice catch-phrase, but, alas, not true.)

Anyway I didn't want anybody to get so defensive about issues I haven't even brought up. If it makes ex-soldiers feel better, I don't disrespect the uniform. Sorry you got so worked up.
alanmac
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 3,033 Posts
KitMaker Network: 55 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 21, 2008 - 11:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The indoctrination part is certainly true, and was meant about all people without respect to their nationality. I was thinking about the Nazis, the Taliban, the recent events in the Balkans which some parts I had the "privilege" to bear witness to, yes, the Japanese atrocities, etc -all prime example of indoctrination of soldiers/fighters to hatred at a young age, supporting the original statement that kids need education, not war. Wasn't meant to be humorous, but not offensive, either. It seems like it has hit a raw nerve, though - wow.

(I also would like to kindly point out that not one soldier died for my freedoms, certainly not Grumpy. In fact, nobody did (not in the 20th century, that is). As a matter of fact, besides WWII (with reservations), Korea (also) and Bosnia, I can't really find more wars out of many when blood was shed by Allied/NATO powers -or Soviet, just to mention the other side, and everybody can sleep better- for anybody's freedom. Makes a nice catch-phrase, but, alas, not true.)

Anyway I didn't want anybody to get so defensive about issues I haven't even brought up. If it makes ex-soldiers feel better, I don't disrespect the uniform. Sorry you got so worked up.

There's an expression that comes to mind "when you find yourself in a hole, stop digging"
Clearly you've not heard it ..........
BM2
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Monday, April 21, 2008 - 07:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

You should visit my VFW post - they would LOVE you ! You certainly have a right to your opinion - by the same token so do I and I feel your remarks would better serve another audience.