Soldier Stories
Served in the military? Discuss your time and experiences here.
Hosted by Dave Willett
Drafting guys over 60 - a humorous thought
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 7,219 Posts
KitMaker Network: 981 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 21, 2008 - 08:52 PM UTC
[quote]I also would like to kindly point out that not one soldier died for my freedoms...
quote]

So it's all about you then is it?

I knew a few good soldiers who died in Berlin when I was there. Major Nicholson and Sgt. Ford are the first two who come to mind. They may not have died for your freedoms, but the people of Berlin surely appreciate the sacrifice they made.

By the way, a coat isn't the only thing you put out on display...
BM2
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,361 Posts
KitMaker Network: 327 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 04:33 AM UTC
[quote]
Quoted Text

I also would like to kindly point out that not one soldier died for my freedoms...
quote]

So it's all about you is it then?

I knew a few good soldiers who died in Berlin when I was there. Major Nicholson and Sgt. Ford are the first two who come to mind. They may not have died for your freedoms, but the people of Berlin surely appreciate the sacrifice they made.

By the way, a coat isn't the only thing you put out on display...

BRAVO-ZULU! -18 Bravo

Whiskey6
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 408 Posts
KitMaker Network: 179 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 02:55 AM UTC
18Bravo /Bosun-

I think you showed the wrong end of that critter! This guy is clearly the south end!

[quote](I also would like to kindly point out that not one soldier died for my freedoms, ......[quote]

I find it incredible that folks with no apparent first-hand knowledge of the subject are so opinionated.

Semper Fi,
Dave

TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 3,770 Posts
KitMaker Network: 747 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 04:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I find it incredible that folks with no apparent first-hand knowledge of the subject are so opinionated.

Personally, I find it incredible that flippin' anyone living in the United States could, or even would, hold a "no one did diddly for my freedoms" opinion.

Guess I get riled when folks take for granted what they have when they should be giving thanks to so many that have given their all.

I so love this:

Quoted Text

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve -is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including my life."

What more can be said? Nada, nichts, null, nothing............
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 6,391 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,600 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 06:13 PM UTC
I like Mike's original post, as it's funny. And true....

I therefore won't close this down just yet, but rest assured that all responses are read, and taken into account.

As someone who's country was occupied by an oppresive force, and liberated by volunteer soldiers from other countries, I very much appreciate the sacrifice of the individual soldier who came to liberate my country, and those who died there. You will never be forgotten.

And that is why we like to keep politics out of the forums...

Whiskey6
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, April 25, 2008 - 05:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

........And that is why we like to keep politics out of the forums...

Henk -

I am glad you are leaving the subject open for now. I personally think it is a good way for folks to discuss some real emotional issues as well as some good humor.

I was wrong to include an ad hominum jab in my last post. I apologize to all and will not do that again.

As to keeping politics out of the forum, I am not sure that is always the right thing to do. While our hobby naturally includes craftsmanship and artistry, it also includes a very real study of the history of the objects we model and the people who used them. For many of us who have served it is a small way to commemorate and remember the incredible sacrifices made by our friends, and in some cases ourselves.

For those who have not served, a study of the history has to beg the question "Why would these people have done what they did? How could they do that? Why? Why? Why?"

Some come to the conclusion that those who fought as they did. (whichever side they were on) did so because they were duped, or brainwashed or coerced. Most warriors I have known.....American, European, Asian, African.....friend and foe.....volunteer and conscript.....seem to be motivated by more honorable concepts. Their willingness to sacrifice themsleves for others is a common denominator.

Personnaly, I believe what John F. Kennedy said:
"Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty."

I still believe that the concept of sacrifice that President Kennedy set forth in those words describe a moral obligation that each and every one of us has to each other. When one man is enslaved, we are all enslaved. There is still a lot of slavery in this world of ours, so our task as free people is not complete.

We old goats enjoy joking about the possibility of bringing our walkers, canes and wheelchairs on line for an assault by the "Grey Raiders". At the same time, many of us would gladly shoulder the burden of fighting for someone elses freedom one more time if we could. It seems a fitting way to honor the memory of those who gave us our freedoms. My experiences in travelling the world have left me with enduring gratitude for the freedoms and blessings that I enjoy.

Semper Fi,
Dave
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, April 25, 2008 - 05:43 AM UTC
That my friend was well written.

If I may, "Semper Fi."

Mike

Grey Raider? Count me.
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 5,026 Posts
KitMaker Network: 461 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 25, 2008 - 06:32 PM UTC
David may I say as a Gray one that your words are to the point and agreed upon by myself and many others who have served and many who have not. Thank you for putting forth feelings that I would not have been able to put down in words. David from a swabby to a jarhead Semper Fi mack.

Bob
Whiskey6
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 01:19 PM UTC
I was re-reading what I had written and noticed the following:

"Most warriors I have known.....American, European, Asian, African....."

I forgot the feaking Aussies....and on ANZAC day to boot. I humbly apologize to them. No slight was intended. I served with an Aussie warrant officer in Vietnam for a couple of operations with the ARVN Rangers and he was great.....a tad crazy.....but a fine officer and advisor.

We Marines honor the memory of the ANZACs at Sulva Bay. Without their sacrifices there, the U. S. Marines would have not made many of the advances in WWII that led to the defeat of Japan and certainly contirubuted to the successful allied amphibious operations throughout the ETO.

Among the innovations that directly resulted from the experiences at Gallipoli were:
* the need for specially designed amphibious landing craft - LCVP, LCM, LCI and LST
* the need for good beach reconnaisance
* the importance of combat-loading transport vessels
* the importance of logistics in amphibious operations

There were many others that this old brain just cannot remember any more.

For those who are not familiar with Gallipoli, the Turks handed the Brits and ANZACs their butts in a bucket in a daring, but flawed amphibious operation in the Dardenelles during WW I. From both a strategic and a tactical point of view the operation was a total failure for the Brits....except for the rather brilliant amphibious withdrawal.

I think there is a lesson for all of us in the experience. The lessons learned from that failure lead directly to victory after victory just a couple of decades later. Amazing things can happen when we are willing to learn from our mistakes. Honest after-action reports and analysis are so very important, no matter what the endeavor.

Semper Fi,
Dave
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 02:29 AM UTC
Put me down as one of them "a tad of Gray" dudes and set me up with an M-60.

Still have those now???

I lugged one for four years on all the Field problems, and cleaning the darn thing when returning.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 07:17 AM UTC
Am I grey enough yet? I'll play. Oh wait...

TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 07:40 AM UTC
Jeff, I'd be your AG....lugged a -60 around for many a year. Loved that bad boy. Unfortunately, they've replaced it with something "modern." Don't know how well the "new" thang stan's up to the PIG, but might be fun to play with one once!

18Bravo, heheheh...about my level of gray. DOD contractor?

Mike
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 08:05 AM UTC
Uhhhh...no.

I only get half their pay, but have infinitely more fun.

sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 01:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Jeff, I'd be your AG....lugged a -60 around for many a year. Loved that bad boy. Unfortunately, they've replaced it with something "modern." Don't know how well the "new" thang stan's up to the PIG, but might be fun to play with one once!

18Bravo, heheheh...about my level of gray. DOD contractor?

Mike

Okay now all we need is Uncle Sugar to let us do it.
Might have to take Grumpy also as we need a sailor to spin some tales of the High sea.
My Boss is ex Navy he was in Beirut when "they "blew up the building back in 1983.
One of a couple of Navy folks that was their got pretty banged up he did ,leg broke in 7 places and a bunch of broken ribs and other stuff he rather not talk about.
So he might want to come along also.

Gray enough 18 Bravo.
But I guess not gray enough to stay out.
I have that site but I bet mine can't do what yours can.
That is a nice site.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 01:39 PM UTC
The mysterious 18 bravo in the flesh.
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 01:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'll be damned. AD and with chinny wiskers. You "dark side" brudda's have it different, in more ways than one, than the udders. That first pic tagged you as a Contractor. The second says a crap load more.

Of course you realize dinner is walkin' behind you. You'll have to offer up pics of the BBQ.

Watch your back man, and those of your buddies. God Speed.

Mike
Whiskey6
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 02:21 PM UTC
"Am I grey enough yet? I'll play. Oh wait..."

Yup.....yer grey enough.....your challenge now is to continue getting greyer until you rotate out there.

God speed and thank you for your service.

Semper Fi,
Dave
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, May 02, 2008 - 09:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I'll be damned. AD and with chinny wiskers. You "dark side" brudda's have it different, in more ways than one, than the udders. That first pic tagged you as a Contractor. The second says a crap load more.

Of course you realize dinner is walkin' behind you. You'll have to offer up pics of the BBQ.

Watch your back man, and those of your buddies. God Speed.

Mike

Strangely enough, I DO have a file entitled "barbecue."
We usually eat lamb and Naja (young goat) but the next time we have beef I'll try to forget this image:

Whiskey6
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 06:56 AM UTC
Yum!!! Yum!!!

Reminds me of Nigeria a while ago.

Be safe.

Semper Fi,
Dave

Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,933 Posts
KitMaker Network: 814 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 06:34 AM UTC
58yrs old now but give me a tow missile and 3,000 rounds of fifty cal point me towards Westminister and i would do a good job for you all, yes Murdo been screwed by the Polticitions to many times bit of pay back would be nice
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 07:11 AM UTC
Heheheh,

Sounds like the "land" and "sea" forces are covered. How about some former "Wingie-Thingie" dudes/dudettes?

Infantry? Check!

Armor? Check!

Artillery? Check!

Swabies? Check!

Air cover? Pending!

Mike
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, May 16, 2008 - 02:06 AM UTC
I guess there is none. Meanwhile, some barbecue photos:

Of course, chai must be consumed at every get-together, insuring that you'll already be awake for the 0300 mission brief:

Might as well post this one too. Interesting mix of uniforms.

This guy isn't quite 60 yet, but as you might guess from his shirt, his presence does me make only the second oldest guy on the team.
redalb2253
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
entire network: 235 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 16, 2008 - 05:13 AM UTC
Count me in also I'd rather be doing it than having BOTH my sons and my son in law doing it and I'd like to thank all of you for defending my freedoms and our way of life Hooah.
Whiskey6
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, May 16, 2008 - 08:49 AM UTC
"Air cover? Pending!"

We old guys don't need no steenking pop-up targets! We do it with old fashioned time-on-target. Make big freeking bang for all to hear!! (even the deaf cannon-cockers)

Semper Fi,
Dave
Whiskey6
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, May 16, 2008 - 08:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Count me in also I'd rather be doing it than having BOTH my sons and my son in law doing it and I'd like to thank all of you for defending my freedoms and our way of life Hooah.

Please thank your boys for their service for all of us.

Semper Fi,
Dave