_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Armor/AFV
This is a group for armor scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
cutting styrene
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 08, 2002 - 08:40 AM UTC
Hi.
Well after cutting a few pieces of sheet styrene to replace my armor plate on my Marder 2,cause of the sink holes in the Tamiya ones. Has anybody ever tried a paper cutter the one with the blade? I think it would cut up too 40 thousands any ideas on this and straight too.Well any imput on this. I know that staples sells about 3 different ones the most expensive one I think was$35.00.
latter and good modeling
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 08, 2002 - 09:04 AM UTC
Hmmm...not a bad thought. I have one at work I could give it a whirl tomorrow and get back to you on the outcome.
What size sheet are you thinking of trying it on?
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Monday, April 08, 2002 - 05:01 PM UTC
just the regular size one that my hobby shop sells. about 8"X9" 30 or 40 thousands. If it works I will have to get me one.
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 10:23 PM UTC
Okay, the results are in. I took a couple of pieces to work to use on the cutter and test it out. They were all varing in thickness...none were of full sheets. The biggest piece I tried it on was 4" long. Well it cuts em. Just not a very clean cut. It leaves a somewhat undesireable edge. Not burred, but more like stressed.
I would not recommend it.

I did find something of interest by accident though. It's called a Multi-Angle Guillotine, and is available through Proop Brothers Limited. Here's their home page for more info on it, just use the search feature and type "guillotine" in the field.

http://www.proopsbrothers.com/

Another along the same line is from Micro Mark, its called "The Chopper II". click here for more info:

http://www.dxmarket.com/micromark/products/82439.html

Hope these help.
BillyBishop
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 347 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2002 - 08:36 AM UTC
Hehe When I first read it I thought it said "Poop Brothers" :-) hehe.

Beavis and Butthead laugh off.

MSW
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2002 - 09:27 AM UTC
So did I. Oh well I guess the paper cutter won't cut plastic I will keep trying. Thanks their Colonel
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 532 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 03, 2002 - 12:12 AM UTC
Thanks for that "poop brothers" site. Looks interesting.

I thought I saw a device like that in the Micro-Mark catalog, and yes, there it is.

This "heave duty" chopper comes for 39.95 USD.
They have a light version of that for 24.95 USD, but that seems to be out of stock at the moment.
Lest you wouldn't know already, they are at www.micromark.com

I never tried it, and to be honest I"m a bit doubtful. But the more I look at the specs, the more I think this may be an interesting tool to make exact copies of a the same piece. So it may be useful for scratchbuilding after all ...

Jan
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,586 Posts
KitMaker Network: 302 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 03, 2002 - 12:34 AM UTC
To cut sheet styrene, I use a scoring table which i purchased throught the MicroTools catalog. Paid about $20 for it. Basically, it has adjustable guide rails that are pressure locked into position. This holds the stryrene precisely in place. I then slide a #11 Xacto blade across the cut line a few times, and get perfect straight cuts. I use a piece of fine grade sand paper to smooth of the edge line, and viola! You have a perfectly cut piece of plastic that is as good as "store bought"... highly recommended!

Keith
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 1,290 Posts
KitMaker Network: 480 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 03, 2002 - 12:54 AM UTC
We use a simliar device to the scoring table to cut out photgraphs. It would require either multiple passes to cut all the way thru, or one or two passes then snap in half.
Phantom
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 195 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 04, 2002 - 11:54 AM UTC
Wow! It's been a while since I've gotten the Micromark catalog and it looks like the chopper has come a long way!

I think it'd do the trick.

-Paul
 _GOTOTOP