_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
A Zen thought....
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 08, 2002 - 08:29 AM UTC
I thought a special post was in order for my 750th. Thanks to CaptainJack for the inspiration.

Zen......

I have to think back a bit on my youth but I can remember times when I felt at one with the universe while I was assembling or detailing a model. It was like all the other things in my life were switched off and only "the build" was forefront in my mind....the small details became the important objects and I could manage them all. I could cut and scrap and glue and paint my way to the whole. There was a sad moment when it was done. But it was brief and replaced by happier moments from that time forward where I could look at my work and reflect on my creation.

As much as this hobby is about replicating things, it is fundamentally about creating them. We take a bunch of molded plastic, resin, or other synthetic material....we put our hands to work in an attempt to piece them all together in some pleasing way. For most of us each project is always different. Even if we build the same kit more than once. There must be some level of personal achievement in it all to make the hobby worthwhile. And to me that comes from making the kit my own. My own version of what the box cover depicts. Similar... yet so different.

Stepping down now.

Jim
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 08, 2002 - 09:20 AM UTC
Congrats Lt. Colonel Jim! :-)

Ya know...I really liked that little reflection there. Makes me think...
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 1,561 Posts
KitMaker Network: 485 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 08, 2002 - 10:35 AM UTC
Congrats captain Jim! I was just looking through the contributors roundtable earlier, and I found the forum where you celebrated 150 posts! You all were pretty excited then. Again, congrats on 750 and hope to see you to 1500! :-)

YodaMan
BillyBishop
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 347 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 08, 2002 - 11:14 AM UTC
I have found that the creative process in itself brings a joy that can't be replicated by the fruits of the process.

But then again your talking to a guy with 3 or 4 unfinished kits on the bench

MSW
Graywolf
Staff MemberSenior Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Izmir, Turkey / Türkçe
entire network: 6,405 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,013 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 08, 2002 - 04:09 PM UTC
I was surprised and felt proud when I see people talking ,thinking or at least having info
about Zen. Maybe we will change our modelling hobby to a philosophy in time. I really felt so good to share this hobby with people like you.
Best regards
Engin
Bravo-Comm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 525 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 08, 2002 - 11:28 PM UTC
:-) :-) You hit the nail on the head, The whole process that slowly and meticulously evolves
into a project that reflects your hard won efforts and abilities. That once veiwed by others who think to themselves. WOW, How did he or SHE do that?? AS a bunch of plastic parts bought and taken home, opened up , Planned and thought thru, then brought to life... And once completed you sit back and admire every day every time you walk past it. thinking to yourself. NOW what can I do next to REALLY do even better on the next one.

DAGGER : A Weapon with a short pointed Blade : "THE CUTTING EDGE"
CaptainJack
Visit this Community
Luxembourg, Belgium
entire network: 793 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 09, 2002 - 03:20 AM UTC
:-) Ditto, Ditto, Ditto!! Dagger-1
ARENGCA
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 382 Posts
KitMaker Network: 101 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 09, 2002 - 04:13 AM UTC
Nicely put, Jim. I agree that the journey is the thing, not the destination. I have posted here and there about my tendency toward unfinished builds. I have also posted about how theraputic the "model dungeon" is for me. It isn't about results, it is about the process and what we put into it.
Bluefalcon47
Visit this Community
Netherlands
entire network: 255 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 03:11 AM UTC
Congratulations on 750, Jim.
You know this post is just to augment my score LOL
Anyway, I'm a long way from 750 and this is one step closer
I like the Zen thought by the way. Building models is very therapeutic.....
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 03:41 AM UTC
Jim - I'm amazed that you have TIME for a Zen-Thought, what with holding down family life and this Forum - let alone cross 750 posts - BIG CONGRATS! I'm sure it takes Herculean-strength to contain Maki, YodaMan, and Treadhead all in one place!

Gunnie
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 04:05 AM UTC
Thanks guys,
Unfinished models? More lately I don't even get to finish a thought!

Seriously though I want to get building again instead of just thinking about it. I had another cool idea for a diorama yesterday. Will add it to my "list". See my other post today for more details.

Cheers,
Jim
 _GOTOTOP