_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
decal application
godfather
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 817 Posts
KitMaker Network: 148 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 02, 2003 - 08:02 AM UTC
When applying decals is the additon of decal setting solution on teh model then on the decal enough or do you still need to add gloss coat (future)? If you do add gloss coat would you reccomend just adding it to teh area where the decal will be placed?
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 3,960 Posts
KitMaker Network: 331 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 02, 2003 - 08:23 AM UTC
I always lay down a coat of gloss before decals ....then decals ..with solutions ..micro sol and set...or solvaset....another coat of gloss ..then a dull coat to finish it off ...as for gloss coat all over or not ...well it is up to you ...I find if you gloss the whole kit ,it makes for a more even finish ...but I have done both and doesn't make a big difference ...do lay the dull coat all over thou ..

Rick
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 2,606 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 02, 2003 - 08:28 AM UTC
What I usually do is:

1) gloss coat (let dry)
2) decal set solution
3) apply decal
4) decal sol solution (let dry)
5) gloss coat

This for the thick ones, like the one printed industrially (the ones you usually buy or find in the kits). If they are like the one I do with my Alps/Oki printers just omit step 2) and 4) because the film is so thin that the decal setting solutions can damage it.
The result can be seen on my last M47 here:

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/9091&page=1

One more thing. If you've got very old decals sheets, prior to wet them I suggest to apply a coat of Microscale's Liquid Decal Film to prevent them from "melting" in the water.
Ciao

slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 02, 2003 - 08:33 AM UTC
In order of application thebear is right on - gloss - decal - set - gloss - dull.

I usually only do a gloss coat where the decals go - that may sometimes be an entire turret side.

I also will trim off AS MUCH of the transparent film as possible. I even go as far as removing the film from inside the A,a in the middle of the U in medium to large USA decals.
airwarrior
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 2,085 Posts
KitMaker Network: 559 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 02, 2003 - 04:19 PM UTC
who makes dull coats stupid question but I can't find any manufacturers
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 3,960 Posts
KitMaker Network: 331 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 03, 2003 - 04:58 AM UTC
Most companies have a dull coat in thier line of colors ..I use humbrol or testors most of the time ...there is also the company that makes micro sol and micro set that has one too...Just look around the paint rack next time you are in your favorite hobby shop....(for the gloss coat I use future floor polish)

Rick
chip250
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 1,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 606 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 03, 2003 - 01:40 PM UTC
I do Gloss clear coat, decal+ setting solution, and more solution. Let it dry, wash the plane gently, let it dry. Then spray the whole thing with clear flat, except the windows of course.!

~Chip
 _GOTOTOP