_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Air brush..
Mojo
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,339 Posts
KitMaker Network: 624 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 01, 2003 - 11:29 AM UTC
Hello everyone

Got a chance to pick up an aztec airbrush for a pretty decent price.. I've never used one, always used a badger product.. Anyone out there use one? If so I could use some input as to how it works with enamls and acrylics.. Thanks

Dave
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 01, 2003 - 11:50 AM UTC
I've been using the Aztec for years now. Works great and very similar to other ABs like the Badger except you have "nozzles" to change out instead of the an entire needle and tip for differing spray patterns.
Be sure to take the nozzle apart to clean when done. It's needle is located inside the nozzle with a small spring, so be careful and clean throughly.
MrFritz
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 114 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 01, 2003 - 11:52 AM UTC
I'm relatively new to airbrushing, but when I decided to make the jump I bought 2 brushes:
1. Badger 175 Crescendo Kit
2. Aztek 470
All I can say is that the Aztek sprays Testor's Acryl acrylics great! I've really tried to like the Badger since its built so much better, but in my opinion, the Aztek wins in this match up hands down. I recently trusted a German camo scheme to the Badger and ended up respraying the whole model. Then I did it the right way with the Aztek.

The trigger travels much more and is more forgiving. Also, the dial on the body of the brush allows you to be very precise with the "sweet-spot" of the trigger. I spray with unthinned Acryl like I said with no problems so far.

One disadvantage of the Aztek is the cleaning process coupled with the plastic nozzle. Its fragile and the manufacturer recommends that you don't disassemble it, but after reading a previous post by someone here, I break it down into 3 pieces and lightly scrub it with a toothbrush to clean. No problems so far. Then I store it in a jar of rubbing alcohol to insure that no paint dries inside -- it seems to work well.

Good luck with it,
Grasshopp12
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 205 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 01, 2003 - 11:56 AM UTC
I also have the Aztek 470 and love it. I upgraded from a Paasche that I wanted to throw out the window every time I used it and have fallen in love with the Aztek. I used to spray unthinned Tamiya acrylics through it, which led to clogging and now I thin Tamiya acrylics in a 50/50 ratio with isopropyl alcohol, which helps speed up cleaning time.
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 3,960 Posts
KitMaker Network: 331 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 02, 2003 - 06:59 AM UTC
If you are still looking around for a great airbrush ...I just recieved my new airbrush ,it's a Tamiya superfine ....Can you say WOW!! this thing is awesome...I have just started to play around with it but I'm amazed at what I can do with it ...tiny lines are no trouble with this baby!
The only thing that was a pain is that you have to order it from Japan...I got mine at Hobby Link Japan.......This brush is made by Iwata for Tamiya and spare parts can be bought from Iwata so not hard to find parts...So final cost from Japan to here in Canada came out to be about $190.00 canadian...which is about the same price as a full set from Aztech...You'll leave the aztech in the dust with this baby!!

Richard
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 2,606 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 02, 2003 - 07:09 AM UTC
Until a month ago I used to have a really ugly Badger clone, then my wife gave me a brand new 470, and I have to say that i fell in love... with bot h(airbrush and wife)! I use it for acrylics and enamels and the Badger clone is now used to spray Future...
For more hints you can also have a look to the following post:

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/9211&page=1

Ciao
 _GOTOTOP