_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Hobby software
panzer_fan
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 427 Posts
KitMaker Network: 66 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 01, 2003 - 07:51 AM UTC
Hi guys,
Have you heard about a hobby software, or something like this? A software that'll keep all the details about a specific kit, like manufacturer, scale, type of vehicle, era, paints involved etc.
I am just curious if something like this exists on the market and how much would it be.
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 01, 2003 - 07:57 AM UTC
Do you mean a database that you enter inforamtion into as you build the kit? If so you should be able to whip up something in Microsoft Works, if you have that installed.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 01, 2003 - 08:05 AM UTC
There probably is, but you could do the same by setting up your own database using Access or Lotus Approach. Even if you're using a home version of Microsoft Works, you have the ability to set one up. The time consuming part is enetring your data.
panzer_fan
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, April 01, 2003 - 08:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

There probably is, but you could do the same by setting up your own database using Access or Lotus Approach. Even if you're using a home version of Microsoft Works, you have the ability to set one up. The time consuming part is enetring your data.

I know. Entering the data is cumbersome. The software I found so far is not good at all. One of them really looks like is still in development (I believe it was made using Visual Basic) and the other one uses tabs which is kind of irritating. Let alone the interface on both which... Anyway, I really think I should ask my wife to make one for me.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 01, 2003 - 08:24 AM UTC
If she works with a databaseon a regular basis, this should be a piece of cake.
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 01, 2003 - 08:26 AM UTC
About a year ago (4/21/02) I posted a link to someone's site where they did a modeling database. The lady did it for her husband who was a member of IPMS Huntsville. Here is a link to the original thread: Model Database. The program is based off of Miscrosoft Office Access, but can be used without having MS Access installed on your computer. The data entry is time consuming, but it would be no matter what program you used or developed.

FYI I saved the program several times to my hard drive and renamed them. I use one for just 1/35 armor, 1/72 scale aircraft, sci-fi, etc. It makes it easier to update and maintain. I also have one for just aftermarket accessories like tracks, PE, barrels, decals, conversion sets, etc. It does help to make sure I don't buy duplicate accessories for the same kit (like two different gun barrels for a tank).
panzer_fan
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, April 01, 2003 - 08:30 AM UTC
She's a programmer, so she has no problems doing this. Having MsSQL installed at home, I'll use it for the database. Probably, the code will be written in PowerBuilder, I'm not sure yet, but that's up to her.
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 2,606 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 01, 2003 - 10:39 AM UTC
I use the same program/database as Rob and I'm quite happy with it. The only downside is entering data. I've got a project for a more complex thing which will hold also reference data on the tanks and the markings, but every time I go to my specs they grow up, so I think I will stick to that for a while...
Ciao
Marty
Visit this Community
entire network: 2,312 Posts
KitMaker Network: 871 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 01, 2003 - 12:14 PM UTC
This is cool. I already have a database containing my model inventory. Perhaps I will be able to incorporate it into this one.
 _GOTOTOP