Discuss general weathering topics here.
chalks
armyfiremn
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 90 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 30, 2003 - 05:29 PM UTC
has anyone used the side walk chalk from crayola for weathering? i know you don't want chalk that's oil based. what's a good brand to get?
BroAbrams
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,546 Posts
KitMaker Network: 494 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 30, 2003 - 06:05 PM UTC
The best chalks to use would probably be the cheap pastel chalks from the crafts section at Walmart. These are not pastel in color, they are a hard, crushed powder chalk. They come in a variety of shades. I find the earth-tone assortment best, but I have found that it has no green, so I need to get some that has green and grey in it.

Do not get oil pastels, these are just crayons. The ones you want are the consistency of blackboard chalk and called simply pastel chalk. Also, Mig Jimenez Productions from Sapin offers a set of chalks specifically for modellers, with shades that match common colors like dunkelgelb, schwarzgrau, Dessert tan, forrest green, etc. They are a little more expensive, but last forever, like every other pastel chalk.

Rob
Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 2,659 Posts
KitMaker Network: 865 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 30, 2003 - 06:16 PM UTC
also check out your local craft stores such as A.C. Moore and Michales.. they have a large selection of Pastel chalks for reasonable prices and if your lucky you might find some on the clearance racks..... :-)
TwistedFate
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 805 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 30, 2003 - 06:17 PM UTC
If you go to Michaels, check the Sunday newspaper. They have a 40% off coupon almost every week..
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2003 - 01:46 AM UTC
Go with the artsy pastels. The crayola ones are a bit to oily and a bit to gritty, IMHO. The ones at Michaels and ACMoores are pretty inexpensive and if you get the coupon - you're golden.
Grifter
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 608 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2003 - 10:53 AM UTC
I got my pastels at an art supply store. Infinite selection of colors and you can buy them one at a time. They're not very costly either.
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 2,312 Posts
KitMaker Network: 871 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2003 - 11:22 AM UTC
I got mine at Michael's a while back and still have more than half of them left. The ones I got were called Alphacolor Square Pastels - Eath Tones. They are relatively soft and easy to apply. Price was $5.00 for a 12 color box.
armyfiremn
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 90 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2003 - 11:52 AM UTC
thanks for the help guys. now second question what's a good way to applying the chalk to the model?
 _GOTOTOP