Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Scared.
steelrudi
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
entire network: 243 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 20, 2007 - 11:16 PM UTC
Well here it goes. I need to talk to someone, and have told one person of this, and he is a friend I have never met in South Africa. I need to tell someone, and you guy's have been friendly to me since I have been posting on this site. I had to go to the hospital today for a throat biopsy, as ordered by my doctor. He said he was very concerned, as I have been a smoker for 25+ years, and that there is a growth on my vocal chords, and inside my mouth. (They dont change my appearance. I have always looked like the Hunchback of Notre Dame.) Any way I am scared, and alittle depressed. First the injury at work, and now this. I asked the doctor,what was going on, and he gave me that Lets, just wait and see line. He already knows something, but just wants confirmation. Thanks for being here. You make may day, and many of my sleepless nights.
CReading
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,726 Posts
KitMaker Network: 558 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 12:48 AM UTC
Ray,
My thoughts are with you on this. Don't be overly anxious until you know exactly what is going on. Waiting on results of tests etc. is very trying, hang in there and know that whatever the final results, you've got a bunch of guys here who care.

Charles
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
entire network: 3,529 Posts
KitMaker Network: 422 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 01:19 AM UTC
Ray,

My wife recently found out she had breast cancer, so I know it can be hard on a person. She has found a breast cancer forum and talks on there all the time. Don't be affraid to talk to anyone, or to post your feelings. It can help and believe it or not people out here will listen and try to help as much as we can.

Your doctor is doing what he sould and he sounds like he is a good one. It can be hard to waiting, it was for us.

We are here for you and you will be in our thougths and prayers.

Bigskip
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,487 Posts
KitMaker Network: 464 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 07:28 AM UTC
Ray

We've never spoken, or typed at each other before. I hope all goes ok for you, and hope that all the support you get from here can help you keep a positive mental attitude.

All the best

Andy
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 2,362 Posts
KitMaker Network: 309 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 07:46 AM UTC
I know the feeling well. I had testicular cancer a decade ago, and fortunately it was only Stage 1, so it didn't spread. The exploratory surgery and recovery afterward was awful though.
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 10,889 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,373 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 08:39 AM UTC
You're in my thoughts my friend.
steelrudi
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 09:17 AM UTC
I feel like I am at home when I am here. I dont know you guy's from Adam, but it is comforting to know that you are here at all hours of the day. The doctor is supposed to call sometime this afternoon, and I am exhausted. I haven't slept at all. I will let you know as soon as I find anything out. Thank You my friends, Ray
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
entire network: 3,529 Posts
KitMaker Network: 422 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 12:39 PM UTC
Ray,
When my wife gets her chemo neither one of us sleeps for the first week She stays home, but I go to work It is a hard road, but when there are people to talk to it helps Sometimes not knowing us from Adam will help you to open up.

We are here for you!

Jim

sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 01:07 PM UTC
Hope all turns out well for you Ray.

Let us know.
spooky6
Visit this Community
Sri Lanka
entire network: 2,174 Posts
KitMaker Network: 613 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 07:16 PM UTC
Any news?
steelrudi
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 10:06 PM UTC
It is 0433 here in My house. I went to sleep finally. Well The one in the mouth is a cyst of some kind, and they are going to remove the rest of it later in the week. The one in the thoat, is being sent to some lab back east for futher tests. The Lab in Omaha, verified it was pre-cancerous. Now they want it seconded I guess. A lot of people in my family have passed on from this crap, namely my Mom, I told the doctor this, and he said things have changed since 1984. I went across the street to my friends, and we got alittle drunk this evening, and watched the 2003 Cub's beat the Yankee's with Clemens pitching. 3-1 Cub's! He thinks I am crazy for all the kits, I buy, and I think he is crazy for all the songs he has(75,000+ and Counting!) He is a music nut. I cant go any where for a while. I have children I have to raise!!!! The 3 year old has to be in college before I can even think about it. I was, am and always will be a Marine, and as alot of you know they dont teach you to give up! I am going to work on something now. Will talk to you later.
steelrudi
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 08:45 AM UTC
Tests are back. NO CANCER!!!!!!!!!! Doc says that I have to quit smoking now though. Went out and got the patch, and some gum too. They want to operate to take what ever they are off my vocal chords though. What do you think? I am just happy so far every thing is coming up roses! Wanted to let you guys know. Working on troopis now. Later, and thanks for being here!
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 10,889 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,373 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 09:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Tests are back. NO CANCER!!!!!!!!!! Doc says that I have to quit smoking now though. Went out and got the patch, and some gum too. They want to operate to take what ever they are off my vocal chords though. What do you think? I am just happy so far every thing is coming up roses! Wanted to let you guys know. Working on troopis now. Later, and thanks for being here!

That's FANTASTIC news Ray!!!!
Bigskip
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,487 Posts
KitMaker Network: 464 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 09:57 AM UTC
So glad to hear the good news.

Hope giving up smoking is not too bad, 4 years and counting since i kicked it.

Andy
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 2,362 Posts
KitMaker Network: 309 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 11:25 AM UTC
It's nice to hear the good news!

BTW, I never smoked, but I can imagine giving it up can be difficult. I have a girlfriend who's been at it since she was seven years old (I assume most people who smoke start at that age), and still chain-smokes in her late forties.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 12:22 PM UTC
Glad for you Ray.

Keep that Chin up and smokes away.

I wish I could stop also.
airraid
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 277 Posts
KitMaker Network: 94 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 04:51 PM UTC
Glad to see things are looking up for you,keep smiling.
SonOfAVet
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 547 Posts
KitMaker Network: 268 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 07:11 AM UTC
It's great to hear the good news, Best wishes and kick those smokes now!
CReading
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,726 Posts
KitMaker Network: 558 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 09:09 AM UTC
Excellent news. (how did I miss it for so long?)
Giving up the smokes should be easy...just think of the past several weeks and how uncomfortable the feeling of "the unknown" was. You lessen the chance of having to experience that feeling greatly by simply not smoking!
Pretty easy huh?
Seriously, it's always good to hear that you avoided the worst scenario. Take care and follow your Doctor's advice. Soon the whole thing will be a lousy memory and you'll be a full time modeler again!

Cheers,
Charles
captfue
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 785 Posts
KitMaker Network: 210 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 09:54 AM UTC
Ray: I know it's hard to be encouraged my someone who is not waiting for results, But sir know that today you have my heart felt prayers. As a 30+ year smoker I feel you concern. Anyway good luck and God bless
steelrudi
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 11:18 AM UTC
I am having a Hell of a time stopping smoking. My wife smokes, and when she lights up I want to too. I am down to about 1/2 a pack a day, and am slowly cutting them out. Thanks for all the support.
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 11:22 AM UTC
Try the Chantix. My mother in law quit about 6 months ago cold turkey on the stuff and hasn't had one since. I know about five people who have quit with it. Ask your doctor about it.

Shaun
/I smoke WAY too much myself
//Good luck
steelrudi
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 11:35 AM UTC
I have a prescoption, but insurance wont cover it. I don't have the 179.00 for the stuff. Thanks for the info though.
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 11:38 AM UTC
I did not have any idea it was that much. I always thought it was funny insurance companies don't cover this kind of stuff or birth control pills. You would think it would save them money in the log run.

Shaun
steelrudi
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 11:45 AM UTC
Yes it is insane. It would also samve them money in the long run, but Cancer, aids and smoking are all big busness in this country and it is all about making money. Could you imagine if they ever came up with cures for all these dieses(Not speeled right). All the jobs that would be gone, and all the money for drugs, that wouldn't be needed? It would wreck the economy of many nations. It is all about big business. They control the world, not governments.