Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Scared.
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 6,391 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,600 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 12:45 PM UTC
Ray,

glad to hear that the initial scare has turned out to be just a scare. As somebody who has stopped smoking recently, I know what you are going through. But my way is relatively easy, although it would help if your wife would stop as well (uuh), I just don't buy the tobacco, and thus even if I have the craving, i have nothing to light up.. After a while it gets a lot easier. But remember that you will be a smoker for the rest of your life. Just make sure you don't have any smokes to hand, so that you can't light up..

Hang in there.
Henk
spooky6
Visit this Community
Sri Lanka
entire network: 2,174 Posts
KitMaker Network: 613 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 06:10 PM UTC
Hey, Ray. Cutting down on the smokes never works really. You gotta cut it out completely. Cold turkey's the only way. Tough it out. I did it in 2001. Lemme tell you what worked for me, and maybe it'll help you.

1. For a week or ten days get ready for the day you're gonna quit, prepaare mentally, remind yourself how bad the ciggies are.

2. Starting immediately change your smoking habits completely. Change your brand (preferrably to one you don't like much). Change the times you smoke -- if you smoke after a meal, in bed, while walking the dog, whatever, don't do it then. Smoke an hour after the meal, whatever. This'll break part of the habit.

3. Try and coordinate a change of scenery on the day you're quitting -- go on holiday to somewhere you haven't been before. This'll provide you with a scenario that you're not used to smoking in. If you can't go on hols, start an exercise regime -- join a gym, pool, or cycling club -- on the day you quit.

4. Once you've stopped smoking stay away from places where you'd be tempted to smoke -- like pubs. If drinkiing tempts you to smoke, stop the booze for a month or so as well.

5. Set new house rules, and tell the wife she can't smoke indoors. Tell her how tough it is for you, and that you don't wanna die of cancer.

Good luck. It worked for me, and I stayed off the sticks for five years. Sttupidly, I started again this year while going through a divorce. But I'm gonna kick it again end of this year.

Now you gotta excuse me, but I'm off for a smoke.
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberDirector of Member Services
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 6,693 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,042 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 07:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have a prescoption, but insurance wont cover it. I don't have the 179.00 for the stuff. Thanks for the info though.

Hi Ray,
I just happened to see this ongoing thread. Happy to hear that it wasn't cancer! About the cost: Sit down and do the sums for how much the cigarettes cost you every year. Then add 50 bucks and think about what
your life is worth to you. Quitting smoking is maybe one of the best deals
of your life ;-)
Try to persuade your wife to quit as well ....
Best wishes / Robin