History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
Great WWII book at Sams
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 06, 2002 - 07:18 AM UTC
I noticed a great WWII history book availbable at my local SAMs Club. It looked to be a reprint of a hardcover (it's a softcover). I think it was called The Encyclopedia of WWII and it's only 12.95. Lots of great pics, etc.

Jim
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 06, 2002 - 07:24 AM UTC
Thx for the heads up Jim! I'll have to try to get by there tomorrow to check it out.
I also picked up a hardcover book at my local Barnes & Noble (my usual weekend stop) called 'World War II a Photograhic History' by David Boyle. It must be 2" thick, completely illustrated.
I believe it was around the same price. Might want to check it out yourself...

Tread. :-)
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 1,561 Posts
KitMaker Network: 485 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 06, 2002 - 07:27 AM UTC
I've read 'D-Day' and 'The Wild Blue' by Stephen Ambrose, and I think they are two very good books. I don't care if he has quoted from other authors; If he can get a guy like me to read books on WW II, he should get a lot of credit.

YodaMan
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 06, 2002 - 07:45 AM UTC
Cool beans Jim! Did you pick it up? Hope so for that price.

Tread, thanks for the advice there on 'World War II a Photograhic History' by David Boyle. Are
you sure it's only $12?

I also started collecting the set of books "The Second World War - An Illustrated History of WWII" published by Trident Press International. A 10 volume set. They are at Borders Books. Each volume is about 800 pages thick! Cost is very inexpensive at only $9 each. I have only 2 more to get to complete the set.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 06, 2002 - 10:27 AM UTC
Ken,
Sadly we had already gathered a bunch of stuff, which ended up being about $280, so alas the book was not acquired. But I did get the last 4-CD box set of the Lord of the Rings BBC Radioplay. I have after that since the 80's. It was only $40 (use to be over $100).

Jim
Tin_Can
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 1,560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 344 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 06, 2002 - 10:41 AM UTC
Thanks for the heads up on the book. I usually keep an eye out on their book section since they have some off the wall stuff that shows up sometimes. I'll have to run out tomorrow and see if the one here has it.