_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Heck of way to spend a Saturday
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 1,290 Posts
KitMaker Network: 480 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 06, 2002 - 04:29 AM UTC
Hi y'all,
I sitting here in my BDUs, at drill, waiting for the printer to finish spitting out an inspection checklist. This HP Laserjet 4P is slow As soon as it finishes I have to finish coordinating the command inspection we will conducting on our headquarters company. And as usually happens this time of year, the weather is beautiful, sunny and 60 degrees and I'm at drill. At least we have some sharp soldiers.

Hope not to many have to work this Saturday
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 06, 2002 - 04:38 AM UTC
Every Saturday...and Sundays too Four years and running.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 06, 2002 - 05:17 AM UTC
Howdy Ranger, welcome to the site! Unfortunately you are not the only one who works Saturdays. I try to avoid them but sometimes it just can't be helped. And of course, Sundays are reserved for the infamous 'Honey-Do's'......so, all in all it's generally seven days a week for me as well

As to Kenc' above, he works seven days a week coming up with his bottomless bag 'O links and those great .avi's he's always posting.... :-) Love ta josh ya Kenc'....

Tread
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 06, 2002 - 05:17 AM UTC
So Colonel, what keeps you busy on the weekends? I see that you are in City gov'ment
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 06, 2002 - 05:36 AM UTC
I'm a Horticulturalist for the City of Ft. Laud.
I put in for what is called duel employment 4 years ago to add extra income, working weekends. Well low and behold the city regognized the need for weekend shift in the ever growing River Walk Park and because so few are willing to work it, here I am. Like they say "You can't fight City Hall"!

It really is a beautiful place to work...and visit! Have a look for yourself:

http://www.goriverwalk.com/
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
entire network: 5,579 Posts
KitMaker Network: 538 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 06, 2002 - 05:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It really is a beautiful place to work...and visit!

I'd like to work in a place like that. Instead I'm cooped up in a lab for the whole day..

Mario M.

TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 06, 2002 - 06:12 AM UTC
Hey Kenc', if you have to work on the weekends, you could have pulled a worse assignment. Working in a place like that, surrounded by all that beauty on a daily basis is a pretty good gig if you ask me.....oops, sorry, you didn't ask me did you?

Tread.

I'm envious laddie!
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 06, 2002 - 06:25 AM UTC
Quite right you are Tread! :-)
Working weekends is a small trade-off for the place I get to be! I really enjoy it...but ever since I got married last year, the weekend thing has sort changed it's novelty.

Mario, inside a lab all day ehh? When I was a kid I always wanted to don the white lab coat and play with all things Laboratory. I even started a Chemistry major in college but, like all things in life, the curve balls change courses. Happy where I'm at now.
BTW, Mario, what kind of lad work do you do?
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 1,561 Posts
KitMaker Network: 485 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 06, 2002 - 06:31 AM UTC
I work Saturdays. I'm at a local plant nursery (Owen's Nursery) from 7:30 to 4:00 on Saturday, 4:30 to 8:30 on weekdays..... I'm in the mail order shipping department. I put plants in plastic baggies in preparation for shipping. Did about 1000 Japanese Bloodgrass today....740 last night. I think I'm getting sick of plants now.
Hopefully, I'll be getting a 'performance bonus'

YodaMan
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
entire network: 5,579 Posts
KitMaker Network: 538 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 06, 2002 - 06:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

BTW, Mario, what kind of lab work do you do?

I work at Research institute in a Pharmaceutical company on the discovery of new drugs. Super interesting job but it is a whole day work (weekends usually included) and it leaves me with very little free time... But I get to wear the white coat and play with all those fancy lab equipment

Mario M.

Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 06, 2002 - 07:06 AM UTC
My weekend problems come mainly from working both part time and full time for the Army Reserve. I have drill this weekend, as a reservist with the 2145th Garrison Support Unit, three days of annual training, with same outfit, next weekend, but at Ft, Benning, GA conducting an inspection, and then last weekend of April in Birmingham for a readiness review in my civilian job as the senior fulltimer for the 332d Medical Brigade. Trying to keep to keep the dtails of two separate military organizations straight in my head is sometimes a losing proposition. Oh, only to be mobilized :-) , only one job, and a pay raise at that. But then my wife would kill me for leaving her with the house, yard and kids, etc..
ladymodelbuilder
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,218 Posts
KitMaker Network: 325 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 06, 2002 - 09:08 AM UTC
I have to wait until the kids are asleep to get *ANY* quiet time. By that time, I'm ready to crash myself.
ChrisCarney
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 88 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 06, 2002 - 10:29 AM UTC
I must be blessed. I've read all your letters about working on weekends and thank the Gods I don't have to. I work Mon - Fri, 0700-1530. I'm an aircraft mechanic for lockheed martin and work on helicopters inspecting the airframes for corrosion, cracks, loose fasteners and anything else that might endanger the aircraft and crew. My job does have one bad draw back. I'm on the road 9 months out of the year and travel to all military installations on the east coast. I do all my modeling in hotels and motels. All my model gear is boxed up in the back of the blaser and goes down the road with me. Hey Ranger, are you at fort benning right now? That's where I'm working at this moment, lets get together and have lunch at the bowling alley or something. I'm working down at lawson airfield inspecting the 498th medivac aircraft. Let me know something ok, I finish there on the 12th and then go Valdosta Ga. Thanks guys, loved reading all your stories. Chris.
Stormbringer
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,667 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 06, 2002 - 05:12 PM UTC
Hi all
So far this year i've only had to do one Saturday morning,so i've been lucky.I spend most of my week peering out from behind a steering wheel as i run up and down the uk Delivering parts to various companies.I'm single so i don't have Er indoors to nag at me,but i do work up to 18 hours a day.I just do a bit of modelling when i feel like it,sometimes it may be only a couple of parts,other times it may be 4 hours.At the mo i'm just finishing a 1:24 scale Scania semi and i'm debating what to start next.
Have a nice sunday all
Peter
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 07, 2002 - 01:03 AM UTC
SGT Carey - I won't be dow to FTBGA until Friday, 12 April. If you are still there, you've a date :-) You working on the birds that belong to the medivac company? I see them parted out on the ramp when I'm doen by the airfield. Watch out for the big guys with the funny little tan berets!

Jeff
m1garand
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,248 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 07, 2002 - 01:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I must be blessed. I've read all your letters about working on weekends and thank the Gods I don't have to. I work Mon - Fri, 0700-1530. I'm an aircraft mechanic for lockheed martin and work on helicopters inspecting the airframes for corrosion, cracks, loose fasteners and anything else that might endanger the aircraft and crew. My job does have one bad draw back. I'm on the road 9 months out of the year and travel to all military installations on the east coast. I do all my modeling in hotels and motels. All my model gear is boxed up in the back of the blaser and goes down the road with me. Hey Ranger, are you at fort benning right now? That's where I'm working at this moment, lets get together and have lunch at the bowling alley or something. I'm working down at lawson airfield inspecting the 498th medivac aircraft. Let me know something ok, I finish there on the 12th and then go Valdosta Ga. Thanks guys, loved reading all your stories. Chris.

What aircraft do you work on? The blackhawk? Used to work on them. The powertrain part of them that is.
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 07, 2002 - 06:16 AM UTC
Hooah!!! Drills over, a brewski in one hand and a computer mouse in the other sitting in front of my PC reading the forums on Armorama :-) :-) :-) :-)
ChrisCarney
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 88 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 07, 2002 - 08:56 AM UTC
M1 Garand, I started out in 1980 as a Huey Mech/Crewchief. I got on Hawks in 1991 and worked on them (actually I was a platoon sergeant and TI'd the work) until I retired in 1996. Now as a General Mechanic for Lockheed I work on all rotor winged aircraft. I just spent 14 months at Fort IndianTown Gap Pa, putting new 714 engines on all the national guard CH-47's there. I get alot of good experience this way. And the pay is good too!!!! RANGER - I'll be leaving on the 12th for home in Fayetteville NC, there is a model show there on the 13th I want to enter. I'll be driving back down to Valdosta on sunday. Looks like we're going to miss each other by hours. Sorry buddy. But I will be back next year. I do all of the south eastern states every year. AND I don't have to worry about those guys in the tan berets, there this crewchief over in the VIP flight detachment whos from Russia and very large. He's my newest bestest buddy, I'll just go get him if the 75th guys want to harrass me. LOL, but thanks for the warning. Chris. :-)
m1garand
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,248 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 07, 2002 - 09:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

M1 Garand, I started out in 1980 as a Huey Mech/Crewchief. I got on Hawks in 1991 and worked on them (actually I was a platoon sergeant and TI'd the work) until I retired in 1996. Now as a General Mechanic for Lockheed I work on all rotor winged aircraft. I just spent 14 months at Fort IndianTown Gap Pa, putting new 714 engines on all the national guard CH-47's there. I get alot of good experience this way. And the pay is good too!!!! RANGER - I'll be leaving on the 12th for home in Fayetteville NC, there is a model show there on the 13th I want to enter. I'll be driving back down to Valdosta on sunday. Looks like we're going to miss each other by hours. Sorry buddy. But I will be back next year. I do all of the south eastern states every year. AND I don't have to worry about those guys in the tan berets, there this crewchief over in the VIP flight detachment whos from Russia and very large. He's my newest bestest buddy, I'll just go get him if the 75th guys want to harrass me. LOL, but thanks for the warning. Chris. :-)

I worked on huey's, chinooks, cobras, kiowas, and blackhawks. Was in from '87-'97.
TheGame
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 98 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 07, 2002 - 09:15 AM UTC
I work every Sunday (Sunday through Wednesday). I'm used to it now, but it really sucks during football season.
 _GOTOTOP