History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
Historical things in your backyard?
dispatcher
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 396 Posts
KitMaker Network: 70 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 08:46 AM UTC
Mike, Cantigny is a good place to get pictures of some armor. I didn't have alot of time to look around, just a fast tour. Looks like it could be a great place for modelers. They may have some WW 2 pictures in the archives that would be interesting.
Joe
sneakypete
Visit this Community
Armed Forces Pacific, United States
entire network: 149 Posts
KitMaker Network: 20 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 06:19 AM UTC
Having the luxury of being stationed here in Germany I am blessed by being surrounded by history. We saw Roman ruins this weekend the next town over. I work in a hanger that was constructed for BF-109’s, so we have to turn the tail rotor as we roll our balckhawks in because the doors are too short. Our in-processing building still has Swastikas on the railings. I am an hour away from the Maginot line. There are sooooo many places that I still have to see both local and within a few hours of here before I move on

Dan.
HastyP
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,117 Posts
KitMaker Network: 570 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 06:15 AM UTC
In my town (Kingston, ONtario)is the remains of Fort Frontenac which the Brits took from the French in the 1700's and Old Fort Henry ( just became a world Heritage site) that was built by the Brits to prevent a US invasion in the 1800's. Also was used to hold german prisoners during WW2.
Kingston was the first capital city of Canada for a few yrs and is the burial site of our first PM Sir John A MacDonald.
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,242 Posts
KitMaker Network: 488 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 07:14 AM UTC
Walker Army Air Field is about two miles to the north of my front door. Walker was the home of a B-29 training base that trained the 462nd, (Ramp Tramp, one of the 462nd's was one of the B-29s swiped by the Soviets.) 500th, and 330th Bomb Groups. In addition, the town in which I live, Victoria, was an English settlement and where George Grant introduced the Angus breed of cattle to the US. Plus it was the site of another settlement by German and Volga Germans called Herzog. Named after the Archduke who visited the area to hunt buffalo. I am ten miles from Fort Hays which was home to Custer and the 7th Cavalry for a short time as well as where Bill Hickok became famous as the marshal of Hays City . The boyhood home of Walter P. Chrysler is just down the street from where I work and the entire county is one gigantic Cretaceous period fossil bed.
Cyberwombat
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 262 Posts
KitMaker Network: 40 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 15, 2008 - 03:05 AM UTC
As far as military stuff goes, there is actually more down south of Houston than in it:
Lone Star Flight Museum
USS Texas and the San Jacinto Monument (located next to each other).
Seawolf Park
Although there is the Texas Military Museum here.

Scattered around Galveston are old WW2 coastal defense installations. I've been to one, but I dismember where it is.

Somewhat related is Space Center Houston. The Saturn rocket on display there is awesome, to say the least.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.
treadhead1952
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
entire network: 552 Posts
KitMaker Network: 46 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 17, 2008 - 01:32 AM UTC
Living in Las Vegas, one of our claims to fame aside from the obvious gaming and touristy type things is Nellis Air Force Base, home to the Air Force Demonstration Team and at the secondary gate on Nellis Blvd. is a display of aircraft on pylons, an F4 Phantom, F 105 Thud, F 16 and the latest an F 117. Each year they have an air show that hosts several vintage aircraft displays as well as demonstrations. Driving about the base one can see various bits of captured equipment set up as displays to show the fighter jocks the sorts of stuff that is trying to shoot them down over unfriendly territory. Of course, most of them are Com Block weaponery in one form or another.
jccraemer
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 462 Posts
KitMaker Network: 63 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2008 - 09:49 AM UTC
Battle of Fort Fisher, Batlle of cape Fear( both american civil war)and moore creek (revolutionary war)29 miles up the road. The battleship North Carolina
tommytanker
entire network: 44 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2008 - 11:10 AM UTC
This is a great thread and I just have add my 2 cents, Back around 1972 in the growing town of California City (Before it became a city) A home builder was clearing a plot for a house and found an M-3A1 buried it was all shot up and been used as a target for either Muroc or MojaveAir corps and Marine respectivily). Another time a 500 lber was dug up EOD from Edwards was called and tried to move it to base, it blew up in the middle of town!!
Two of many, TT
yeahwiggie
Visit this Community
Dalarnas, Sweden
entire network: 2,093 Posts
KitMaker Network: 149 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2008 - 10:11 PM UTC
Well, I live in an area that has quite a lot of history in it.
Eben Emael isn't to far away and neither are Aachen and the Siegfried line. The Ardennes are a few hours away as is the Hürtgenforrest and Arnhem. Actually I live right in the middle of all of these...
And it is just recently that I am getting interested in local history and start to find out.
Sudzonic
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,096 Posts
KitMaker Network: 69 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 05:30 AM UTC
Well i live in Orkney so where do you want to start.
We have countless neolithic sites all over the island such as the Famous Sacra bree
linkname http://www.orkneyjar.com/history/skarabrae/

And maze Howe with is a huge burial cairn.

linkname http://www.orkneyjar.com/index.html

That is a link to orkneyjar with will give you an idea of the ancient history here.

In more resent time Scapa flow was used as the base for the royal navy's home fleet during the two world wars
linkname http://www.scapaflow.co.uk/

linkname http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scapa_Flow

It was also the site of the greatest act of naval suicide in history when the German high seas fleet scuttled in 1919.

Thats all i can think of at the mo.
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,933 Posts
KitMaker Network: 814 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 09:53 PM UTC
I used to live in London next to hornchurch airbase which was operational during the battle of britain my dad served there during that period, now I live in France about eighty mile from a place called St Mary Englise, where do I start!!!!!!!
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 11:13 PM UTC
Got a complete Roman Wall around the center of the city? That historical enough?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lugo
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,791 Posts
KitMaker Network: 765 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 01:08 AM UTC
Braintree (where I'm working) was also a Roman (one-horse) town, but not one that rated any sort of defences. Chelmsford (where I live now) was another Roman settlement; this time one with a bank and ditch, but that got in the way so part of it was quickly flattened by the inhabitants.

BTW my office is in an old Police station and we still have the cells

David
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 03:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Braintree (where I'm working) was also a Roman (one-horse) town, but not one that rated any sort of defences. Chelmsford (where I live now) was another Roman settlement; this time one with a bank and ditch, but that got in the way so part of it was quickly flattened by the inhabitants.

No-one's very sure WHY the the Romans decided to fortify it - possibly with a longterm view of its tourist potential?
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 3,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 684 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 03:56 AM UTC
Here in central Vermont are an M60 (dunno which vers, it is not of interest to me) and an M114 at the armory in Ludlow Vt.
The claremont VFW / ambulance have a Pak 40 as does the VFW in Tilton NH
A private citizen in Claremont has a WWII Us halftrack, but it's under wraps and I am not sure which vers.

Norwich university in Randolph Vt has a unique Sherman, late model iirc. I'm not a sherman guy so it does little for me.

Up in Winooski VT (near Burlington where the VT Air Guard operates the oldest operational F16) is the VT Nat Guard Museum with an OH6 out front. Out back is an Iraqi MTLB that the back door is convienently left open on, and BRDM w sagger popup rack (cruddy shape) and a 4 barrel ZS 23 (ZSU23??) as well as some US softskins and a gamma goat.

Mike
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
entire network: 5,422 Posts
KitMaker Network: 146 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 04:17 AM UTC
Here in Southwest Louisiana we have quite a few things to look at.

Two American Civil War battlefields: Niblett's Bluff and Cameron

In Lake Charles - M60 MBT at Veterans Memorial Park, a German sFH18 at the parish courthouse, and Chennault Air Force Base, which is now an industrial air park

Sulphur, where I live was the home of the Union Sulphur Company

Ft. Polk is about an hour away and the USS Kidd is two hours away.

Kenny
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,791 Posts
KitMaker Network: 765 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 04:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

No-one's very sure WHY the the Romans decided to fortify it - possibly with a longterm view of its tourist potential?

The walls (and gates) of Autun were pretty impressive until the Ursulines got a bit carried away and built this thing

Oh dear

David
NebLWeffah
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 1,683 Posts
KitMaker Network: 284 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 06:45 AM UTC
Here in western Canada, particularly in southern and central Alberta, are the remnants of many triangular-shaped airfields left over from WWII that were part of the Commonwealth Air Training Plan. Many pilots and aircrew were trained here for service in Europe. Most have been long abandoned but some are still used as secondary or subsidiary airfields, usually uncontrolled.

Here's some Goggle Maps images of a some:

Bob
alanmac
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 3,033 Posts
KitMaker Network: 55 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 01:53 PM UTC
Hi

Bovington Tank Museum , a 40 minute car drive away.

http://www.tankmuseum.org/home

Home of the only running Tiger 1 in the world, amongst other treasures.

Alan
Hohenstaufen
Visit this Community
entire network: 2,192 Posts
KitMaker Network: 386 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 04:37 PM UTC
We're so steeped in history around where I live that no one thinks anything of it. When they built the dual carriageway they found the old Roman town. They invited some archeologists to poke around for a week or two, then covered it over again & built a junction on it! Edgehill just up the road, first big battle of ECW (1642). Also Oxford - do I need to say more? A few miles down the road is one of the most productive Jurassic sites in Europe, bit of a well kept secret. Bit older than the Romans. See how you get blase? Within an hours drive I could visit any number of places from Bosworth Field (last battle of Wars of Roses 1485), to Dewy line radar stations. Last week went down to Winchester on the 'bike, didn't bother with the Cathedral, seen that before (my wife's degree graduation), went to Peninsula Barracks, a very good day out, well recommended with 5 military museums on site, Greenjackets (huge model of Waterloo, in 1/72 scale), Light Infantry, Gurkhas, Royal Hussars (10th & 11th, trumpet from Charge of Light Brigade etc) & Adjutant General Corps (MP, Pay Corps, WRAC, Education Corps).
Hohenstaufen
Visit this Community
entire network: 2,192 Posts
KitMaker Network: 386 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 04:43 PM UTC
Oh yes, forgot, just round the corner from Peninsula barracks is the Hampshires museum (first battle honour Malplaquet 1705) - didn't have time for that one must go another day. Entrance fees are derisory £2-£3 (Royals & AGC free).
gott_cha
Visit this Community
entire network: 20 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 01:03 AM UTC
My House is 2 miles from Ft. Fisher,..the last Confederate stronghold to be capture during the So-called Civil War,..also the site of the largest Naval Invasion Force in History until the D-Day landing. Across the river from home there stands Brunswick Towne,..one of the first established towns in N.Carolina,..also home to its first Royal Governor and home to N.C.'s first Revolutionary fort/outpost. Back down the river stands one of the oldest Lighthouses in the Country...Old Baldie!
Back up the Cape Fear river approx. 10 miles,..sits the U.S.S. North Carolina BB55. Also here in Wilmington N.C. stands the remnants of the shipyards that built IronClads,..Blockade Runners and Liberty ships for the WW2 effort. Across the dunes looking east are over 200 historical shipwrecks including 12 known WW1 and WW2 German U-Boats.

97 miles from me stands the largest Military training facility in the World,...Ft Bragg,..and within an 11/2 hour radius, sit 4 other Military Bases.

Other than that,..its pretty mundane here.....
jccraemer
Visit this Community
entire network: 462 Posts
KitMaker Network: 63 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 03:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Back up the Cape Fear river approx. 10 miles,..sits the U.S.S. North Carolina BB55. Also here in Wilmington N.C. stands the remnants of the shipyards that built IronClads,..Blockade Runners and Liberty ships for the WW2 effort. Across the dunes looking east are over 200 historical shipwrecks including 12 known WW1 and WW2 German U-Boats......

gott-cha don't forget POW camp in Wilmington or the spanish fort by leland
gott_cha
Visit this Community
entire network: 20 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 09:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

gott-cha don't forget POW camp in Wilmington or the spanish fort by leland

Thanx completely forgot those,...there is just so much history here in our area
NebLWeffah
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 1,683 Posts
KitMaker Network: 284 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 09:50 AM UTC
The previous posts about POW camps reminded me. About 30 minutes west of me (I live in Calgary) is a forestry research station in the Kananaskis Provincial Park that was a POW camp in WWII. It was opened in September of 1939 and was the first camp to start accepting prisoners from Britain. It was called Seebe Internment Camp 130 and some of the buildings are still standing and are even in use today.

Here's a photo of an old guard tower:

Also, the "Head Smashed-In" Buffalo Jump is a World Heritage site and is located about an hour south of Calgary. First-peoples used this location as one of many sites in the area to drive buffalo heards over cliffs. An efficient, conservation-minded processing facility existed there to use the buffalo for food, shelter and clothing leaving nothing to go to waste.

Here's a link to their website:
http://www.head-smashed-in.com

History is all around us, we just need to look and remember.

Bob