_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Do you work alone??
ZippZiggy
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 79 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 05:16 AM UTC
Do you any of you find it usfull and enjoyable to work with somone on your diorama, or do you prefer working alone. I find i enjoy working with somone for a little while, then its nice to work on my dio alone.
How about the rest of you?
capnjock
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 860 Posts
KitMaker Network: 340 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 10:32 AM UTC
I work alone mostly. But, enjoy our club meetings greatly. I sometimes bring something to work on but usually end up talking models instead of building. But I enjoy it all!
capnjock
scj1014
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 56 Posts
KitMaker Network: 18 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 10:35 AM UTC
Hi...

I used to build models with my older brother. We never actually worked on the same kit, he would build one vehicle and I would build something else. It never really worked very well, as we spent more time talking than building.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 11:14 AM UTC
I work alone primarily. I'll ask for feedback from site members here and there. If it's a campaign I will definitely ask for routine feedback.
armorstuv
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 164 Posts
KitMaker Network: 99 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 11:15 AM UTC
We have a few of us that gather every couple of weeks at club members home to build for a few hours. It is enjoyable because you can pick each others brain for ideas and tips.

In fact, we are holding what we call a "death" build. We are going to be getting together and building for an entire weekend. No wives, girlfriends or kids to interfere with the production.

stu
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 3,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 684 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 11:47 AM UTC
At home, it's alone in the hobby room with the door latched to keep cats out.

We build as part of our local vclub meeting. We meet 7-9pm at a local auto body shop, so there is light, ventilation, and room to spread out.
It's 5-10 guys building a little of everything. We have a show and tell portion and arrange carpools to local shows and then it's a general geek-buildfest.
But the best are the build days. We find an entire Saturday once every couple of months
and someone with space has 3-8 guys over, byo beverage, all day geek fest and stash drooling.

I dont get nearly as much done on those days, but it's a lot of fun.

We had talked about doing a club dio entry for AMPS or somesuch, but have not managed to get it off the ground yet.

Mike
Hot-wheels
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 164 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 01:28 PM UTC
Hi Guys

I pretty much work alone . Of course thats not counting stopping in the middle to race to this computor to ask questions, seek advice, or to check refernce. The actual act of glueing,sanding e.t.c. is done alone, but model building theses days is a international activety..

Harry
Gunfighter
Visit this Community
entire network: 743 Posts
KitMaker Network: 374 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 12:28 AM UTC
Working alone rarely happens for me as the kids adjourn to the basement when I do. I don't mind as it gives my wife some downtime while us kids are playing downstairs.

The only time I regret is when I'm working on something fiddly and my son is sitting next to me working on his kits making various instrument sounds with his mouth. Or my daughter's impeccable timing - just as I get that part lined up after the 20th try - "Daddy, can you help me with this?"

All in all, I'm glad that they're with me, though!

- Frank
CReading
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,726 Posts
KitMaker Network: 558 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 01:01 AM UTC
Alone. Occasional feedback from my wife if I have been too close for too long to determine if the color tones are good or if "the grass looks like grass" etc.

Cheers,
Charles
DaveInTheHat
Visit this Community
entire network: 57 Posts
KitMaker Network: 21 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 03:58 AM UTC
Two of my cats hang out with me a lot while I'm working. I have 4. I'm lucky they never bother anything on my bench.
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 3,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 592 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 01:35 PM UTC
"My projects/builds" - Ohhhhhhhhh yeah, ....not that my 2yr and 5yr olds don't want to help mind you......I model alone, and nobody else.... and when I model alone, I prefer to be by myself.{sorry, was just listening to george thorogood-spelling}. Well, with the lone exception of the spider in the far corner..it makes constructive critisisms...too many, that's why it's in the far corner out of range!

I did try to build a snap tite car with the daughter a month ago..., let her pic out the car and all...we made it all told of 5 min together, then she said, daddy, you finish it. To be tried again later.........
mat
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
entire network: 894 Posts
KitMaker Network: 127 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 20, 2007 - 12:16 AM UTC
Most of the time I build alone but I'm also building every Tuesday at my LHS with some other people. We have a great time. We make a lot of fun of each other. I tease the guy that builds only Shermies, he teases me for building Russian stuff and so on..
flakgunner
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 657 Posts
KitMaker Network: 201 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 20, 2007 - 02:44 AM UTC
hey,
pretty much in the beginning it had always been by myself,with my 1/48 armor,but close to 5 years ago,my son #2 started building some 1/35 armor I had laying around,trade material for my 1/48's,the 1/48's then got pushed aside while I spent the time helping him,we even learned how to cast our own parts from resin.he'd use his gift $ from the grandparents ,to pick up models on ebay,to help him out,I decided to start selling/trading my 1/48 armor,along with other models laying around,which has kept him going,then came a point ,where he really didn't need lot of help from me,so we'd sit at the kitchen table,he's be building them left&right, while I took ,much longer,just pokin along,I got more enjoyment ,just watching him build.But,that came to a crashing end,about a month ago,we received news that he was accepted into a Military Academy,downstate,so last Sunday,@ 5:30am,we drove him to a Armory,near Chicago,and watched him walk thru the doors,from their he was bused to the Academy,the program runs to mid-Dec.,he'll be home for a few short weeks,then leaves for Ft.Benning,Ga.,now Iam sitting at the table,piddling with the M32 ARV,Ive been working on ,for a good month now,I can see the DML Jagdpanzer IV/70 (A)(#6015,what a horrible model,from DML) ,he almost got finished.and out of the corner of my eye,his chair,It's been a tuff week.It all happened so dam fast,with his acceptance into the Academy,he was able to enlist ,in to the ILL.N.G.,right away.

Joe
Fitz
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
entire network: 439 Posts
KitMaker Network: 109 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 20, 2007 - 03:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Do you any of you find it usfull and enjoyable to work with somone on your diorama, or do you prefer working alone. I find i enjoy working with somone for a little while, then its nice to work on my dio alone.
How about the rest of you?

I'm trying to get my 10 year-old daughter interested in modelling. We built a Monogram Wright Flyer diorama together and have an Academy Space Shuttle kit waiting in the wings as well as a plan to have a Tamiya T-Rex diorama with the animal attacking some German soldiers - purely for fun of course.

Other than that, I always model alone.
 _GOTOTOP