TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
Dogfight
Boiler
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 70 Posts
KitMaker Network: 65 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 08:55 AM UTC
Has anyone else noticed that on the History Channel series "Dogfight" that all the planes are the same in formations, etc. They had one where they showed a formation of B-17's being attacked by Me-109s and I noticed after awhile that all the B-17s had the exact same codes and serial numbers. I am not a computer tech but is it really that hard to make some kind of differentiation between individual subjects. That really killed the movie "Flyboys" for me because I got tired of seeing RED triplanes all over the place. I mean they do it for video games, why not TV?
airwarrior
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 2,085 Posts
KitMaker Network: 559 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 07:23 PM UTC
If you notice, the control surfaces don't move either.

But still, I think it's a good enjoyable show.
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
entire network: 3,529 Posts
KitMaker Network: 422 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 12:17 AM UTC
Yeah, the show does have its draw backs, but over all it is decent.
You would think they could program the CGI a little better and allow for a more realistic setting.

TwistedFate
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 805 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 01:13 AM UTC
No, it's not hard to change markings. The problem here is that they may have paid for the model and have someone else do the animating. The animator may not know 3D modeling and be unable to make the changes.

The surfaces are quite a bit tougher to make move, especially if the model isn't designed to allow for that.

Having said all that, I think what you are witnessing is a case of not spending the cash necessary to get it done right. They are trying to save money, and figure since you know it's only a dramatization there is no reason to spend the extra money on differentiating the planes and photo-realistic modeling.