Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
I getting old and it s$#%s
GSPatton
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,411 Posts
KitMaker Network: 785 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 11:43 AM UTC
On my second set of bi-focals. Every 2 years my eyes seem to get worse! About ready for another trip to the eye doc. Cause now I can't see small parts with the bi-focal part. So the glasses go up on the head for small parts and back down to read the instructions - really frustrating.
Mojo
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,339 Posts
KitMaker Network: 624 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 12:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Nah, you gotta lot of good times left, I turn 43 next week. I am freaking out

Me too Mark... I hit 43 on Thursday... Mind you, as long as I still wake up on the right side of the lawn, Im ok with it....

Dave
42 and counting the days
spongya
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
entire network: 2,365 Posts
KitMaker Network: 474 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 15, 2007 - 09:29 AM UTC
Joke ON
You know, Faust made a stupid pact with the devil. If I had to make one, I would sell my soul only if I stayed young as long as I find something interesting to build... Satan would get the worst part of the deal.
I think I would live forever.
Joke OFF

Are there many young modelers? Looking around in hobby stores, model competitions I see a predominantly white, middle age (or older) male population -little kids get there only because their father took them there.
Is this a "white" hobby in the US? Do teenagers get into it? If they do, how? If they don't how could they be involved? (I can see some obstacles, though. I was ID-d in Wallmart for an Acrylic Testors paint. Anyone under 21 would probably spend their effort to get illegal booze, not illegal Desert Yellow.)
Augie
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 711 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 15, 2007 - 10:54 AM UTC
I'm 49, I have most of my teeth, my glasses are bifocals, my gray is showing(but mixed in well), I have hair falling out on my head but growing places it didn't before, I have a bum heart but do I feel old? Damn right I do, but not always!

On the other hand, I look as if I am about 37-40. My daughters and their friends still think that I am fairly 'cool' (at least for being a parent). I went to a Green Day with my younger daughter when she was 18 and we had a blast! I get along with people of most ages, so It ain't all bad. At least I'm not my OLDER sister!!!!!!!!!!!
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 15, 2007 - 12:58 PM UTC
This might give all you guys some hope.

http://www.denverpost.com/search/ci_6131334

"Nation's oldest licensed pilot dies at age 105

A 105-year-old man who was the oldest licensed pilot in the U.S. has died.
Cole Kugel died Monday of natural causes at his home in Longmont the Ahlberg Funeral Chapel said.

The Federal Aviation Administration said Kugel was the oldest licensed American pilot. Though his license never expired, Kugel's health certificate, which is required to fly a plane, lapsed in 2001, FAA spokesman Paul Turk said."

I'd settle for the life this guy led.

Hot-wheels
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 164 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 15, 2007 - 01:38 PM UTC
Hi guys

Andras- I don't know if this is a "white hobby" or middle age hobby, its just a hobby. As far as kids getting into it, sometimes they need someone to show them the way. Models don't get the TV time that computor games, and other high tech stuff does. Getting carded for a bottle of paint may sound extreme but the sad thing is there is are some folks {mostly younger teens} that are involved in a drug use known as "Huffing" . This involves the inhaling of things like paint, houshold cleaners, glues e.t.c.

Sorry for going a bit off topic there folks.
Harry
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 15, 2007 - 11:15 PM UTC
Me I turn 52 next month.

Do I feel old {sometimes}

Will I let it get me down {No}

Time waits for no one
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 3,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 684 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 15, 2007 - 11:48 PM UTC
So I am one of the young pups in the crowd at only 41...
I knew I liked this place for a reason..

I'm still playing basketball in one over 30 group and picked up another night as well.. the variety and preponderence of 'gimp-ware' that we bring to the court is hillarious.

Me, I've got sports glasses and 2 air cast ankle braces, but there are guys with both knees and elbow braced. Sports glasses abound, mouth guards are the uniform of the day, and there are a couple of guys with belly bands (girdles) too..

So far so good, I'm still running end to end all night and dont quite sound like a steam locomotive after running, much less start up like one.

Even with the fastest 'kids' out there, I can still at least make it across half court before the breakaway is over..and since I'm 6'4" and usually under the basket when the other team gets the ball and takes off, I figure I'm doing ok.

I can even keep up with my 7yr old.. so yeah. I'm doing ok.

right...?

I do find myself getting more closed minded about things and man can I hold a grudge these days.. whoo-boy..
that's probably not healthy..

Mike