History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
Which one is true ?
TheGame
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 98 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 03, 2002 - 11:47 AM UTC
Last night I was reading an article about the German invasion of Poland.
This article claimed that some of the Polish calvary DID charge the German tanks. But, I've also read that the calvary DID NOT charge.

Does anyone know the truth, or is this one still up in the air?
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 03, 2002 - 06:49 PM UTC
Yes indeed they did charge the Germans. Here's a little tid-bit from an early morning web search:

They did charge, and with great success, but only infantry, as they did at Krojanty!
As befitted their Elite status and long military tradition the Polish cavalry fought well and effectively,the Wolhynie brigade destroying 75 vehicles of the 4th Panzer at Mokra, but all in vain.
Betrayed and abandonned by their allies they had no chance.

Here's the web site from which the above was taken:

http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Alley/2187/polish.htm

Hmmmm...but than agian, maybe not. Excerpt:

Many myths surround the German invasion of Poland. The most widespread myth is that of the infamous Polish cavalry charge against German armor, which was originally reported by the Italian press, and became popular with German propagandists. The true story came from a skirmish where two Polish Lancer squadrons engaged and destroyed some German infantry. After the infantry had been defeated, German armored vehicles appeared. Exposed, the Lancers were decimated. Italian war correspondents came upon the scene and were told by German soldiers that it resulted from the cavalry having charged the tanks. The false story was then spread, and the truth was effectively buried

http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/9764/warpoland.html

Who really knows? It's just one of those things in the annals of history.
KMM
Visit this Community
entire network: 91 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2002 - 11:09 AM UTC
As I recall the story, the Poles didn't charge the Germans to attack them, but rather to get behind the less nimble tanks and make an escape. Running straight away from the tanks would have guranteed a slaughter. Seems like a pretty gutsy move to me. For that matter, its pretty odd for the Germans to ridicule the Poles for using such archaic forces, like cavalry, when the Wehrmacht relied so heavily on horse-drawn transport right up until the end of the war!!
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 1,290 Posts
KitMaker Network: 480 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 30, 2002 - 10:51 AM UTC
I can neither confirm nor disprove the running thru the armor to escape, however, it does make sense. Infantry is taught to assault a close ambush, as this is the only chance to survive. It would be hard for the German gunners to traverse and engage close in, fast moving targets. many tanks back then had hand-powered turrets.
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 730 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 08:32 AM UTC
on a history channel thing about this it said something about germans dressing dead people (they were actually shot) in polish uniforms saying that they charged german lines, and thats 1 of the reasons the germans invaded poland, but i know hitler also invaded poland because he believed the german people needed 'living space' i know the german term for it, just cant spell it to the best of my ability. so yeah.....poland either way was defeated.all said and done i guess