_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Decent makes of model
CaptainCanary
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 31 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 28, 2007 - 06:55 PM UTC
Was just wondering if anyone can give me a few tips on reliable makes of model to go for. After having a major falling out with a 1/72 Airfix Panzer III, I've exclusively built Tamiya 1/35 range models but my local model shop (the only one for 40 miles with Tamiya!) has now decided to no longer carry any stock of them due to supply difficulties. This has left me needing a day out to buy a new model (or even any paints) as I'm unable to buy over the net atm.

They are going to still stock Revell, Academy and Italeri but having only built a couple of Revell kits I was hoping to get some feedback as to what is the best to go for as I don't really have the cash to splash out on model kits only to find out they're !!
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 28, 2007 - 07:40 PM UTC
Revell of Germany 1/35 scale kits are a mixture of reboxed Italeri (most), old Peerless Max (M3A1 Scout car), old Monogram (M34 & Jeep), Dragon (many), AFV Club (M88A1, Wiesel), Esci/Ertl (M60A3), and some of their own original tooled kits (mainly modern Bundeswehr armor). I believe they rebox the Eastern Express GAZ modern Russian/Soviet trucks too.

When purchasing a RoG kit, it is best to ask about the specific kit because you cannot generalize about their line.

Academy kits are generally good, but some of their earlier kits are knock offs of old Tamiya. Those old kits are generally dated.
CaptainA
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 3,117 Posts
KitMaker Network: 204 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 28, 2007 - 09:53 PM UTC
I have had good success with DML. I think their newer kits are setting the standard for the industry. But I emphasize what Sabot stated, that it is best to ask about specific kits because there are sooooo many kits, reboxed kits, and re-reboxed kits out there.

Have you tried shopping on-line? You should be able to get some decent kits as well as Tamiya from on-line hobby shops.
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 3,123 Posts
KitMaker Network: 330 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 28, 2007 - 10:09 PM UTC
Of the three lines quoted "still stock Revell, Academy and Italeri ", I'd say Italeri was the most consistently good of the three although there are a couple of clangers in their line. unfortunately neither is at the top of the pile as far as quality and accuracy goes. As was stated, RoG mostly reboxes other moulds. Academy, in my opinion, mostly produces rubbish. Most of the new stuff is inaccurate in addition to the older blatent rip-offs of Tamiya early kits. There are a couple of good Academy kits, though, so ask if something strikes your fancy.

Quoted Text

IHave you tried shopping on-line? You should be able to get some decent kits as well as Tamiya from on-line hobby shops.

I would second going this route as you can save a considerable amount of mony buying form, especially the Japanese and Hong Kong shops. If pounds are scarce, this is your best way to go.

HTH

Paul
 _GOTOTOP