_GOTOBOTTOM
Buy, Sell or Trade
This forum is for all selling and buying related topics.
EBay'ers beware!!! "flyp40s" is BAD NEWS!
CPTKelley
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 206 Posts
KitMaker Network: 36 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 26, 2007 - 06:29 PM UTC
I can't believe I'm posting a "Bad EBayer" alert, but here I am.

I recently sold 5 models (built) on EBay, for prices that were fair. Beyond fair. Unfortunately, I had to leave town for a week due to a death in the family right after the auctions closed, and I explained this in an email upon my return.Regardless, in all of my auctions, I stated quite clearly,

"Although this model, like all others I ship, will be packed with painstaking care, there is a chance a piece will come loose in transit and need to be repaired upon your receipt. Noone wants it to arrive safely and in good condition more than I do, but having a bit of cement ready will lessen the shock if this happens to you."

It's posted clearly, it's posted in red, and if you bid on an auction that says something like this, you have then consented to recognizing this as a reasonable and acceptable risk.

Typically I custom-fit thick foam-rubber blocks to two sides of the box, then place shredded paper on the bottom. The model is suspended firmly between the two FR blocks by the wingtips. More shredded paper is placed around and over the model, gently but snugly acting as hundreds of timy "sway braces". A few folded paper towels go over top of this to minimize shifting, and pre-printed un-packing instructions go on top of this. Foolproof? No, of course not, but the damage that has occasionally incurred has been very minimal.

I heard from all but one of the buyers, and the one dissatisfied buyer was this Gadbury guy. Now, keep reading...that isn't why I'm pissed. I'm pissed because he's trying to scam me out of model and cash. He comes out of the gate moaning that despite my family emergency, "I am very disappointed that I have now waited almost 2 weeks and still no aircraft. I recognize that you sent a message stating there was a delay due to a family emergency; however to pay 10 dollars in shipping and this long of a delay is unacceptable..." It was 10 days since close of auction when I received this, and in his PayPal complaint he admitted he got it that night.

I tell him look, your compensation is never having to buy from me again, have a nice life, etc. I have no problem issueing a full refund minus shipping, but I want the model back first. THEN he comes back and says the model was broken, and that he refuses to accept it;He wants all of his money back, plus extra shipping, then he'll send it back to me. He refuses to fix it, he refuses to snap a photo of the damage and send it to me, just give back all of my money then I'll ship you your busted model(He claims the pieces were laying on top of the instructions I included, as if I broke it packing the P-40 and tossed the pieces in). Keep in mind that PayPal knew of this, and "Negative Feedback" had been already left, but now I'm finding out?

I suggested he use the free USPS insurance I purchased for him as part of the deal, and he actually accused me of attempting to defraud the US Govt.!!!

"I will not accept anything less than a full refund. It is your fault that you did such a lousy job packing the aircraft which resulted in the damage. I should contact USPS and notify them that you are attempting to defraud them for damage charges. It was not their fault. I have no desire to keep an aircraft that needs to be repaired. Marginal delivery time, damaged goods sent, attempt to defraud USPS, and vulgarity (wonder how Ebay will feel using their system with that kind of language). Return the money with shipping cost.
"

Well, OK, the vulgarity thing is true...I seem to remember suggesting he engage in some form of self-invagination or two to pass the time, and there may have been one or even two comparisons between him and fecal matter usually seen in a zoo drawn, but I can't recall entirely.Another buyer read the BS feedback that he left, contacted the contemptible person, and offered to buy the model from him!!! The clown said "No, it's going back".

I don't need any lessons in civics, economics, or commercial law. I don't care who you think is right or wrong. I'm putting this out here mainly to vent, and secondarily to let you guys that trade on EBay to watch out for this loser. It's a shame, really, because guys like this are the reason I quit selling on EBay a few years ago. Obviously, some things never change.

Cheers,
JK
pzcreations
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 2,106 Posts
KitMaker Network: 858 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 26, 2007 - 06:52 PM UTC
perhaps next time place a return policy statement on your auction, and maybe pack a little better? I ship built models on a regular basis, Ive tried just about every method there is. when in the hands of a careless PO carrier, that foam doesnt always hold the model like you think it would.
beachbm2
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 400 Posts
KitMaker Network: 243 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 26, 2007 - 11:42 PM UTC
Hi There selling on E-Bay you will find an occational "bidder"( I call them something much more colorful) that no matter what will not be happy? Just leave him poor feedback as well and move on. If you had all the stuff listed in your auction let PayPal handle it and don't worry about it. Just place him in your blocked bidders list. If all the conditions were listed and you offered insurance then PayPal will eventually tell the fool to get a life and his claim has no merit. So while you get a Negitive Feedback it won't mean much if you have lived up to your end of things. No matter how well packed sometimes things break. So just tell the person in question that you are willing to let paypal settle the issue.
Just my 2 Cents is all
Jeff
 _GOTOTOP