_GOTOBOTTOM
Introductions
If you are new to the network please post a little something here to introduce yourself.
New (66 years old) member!
GeorgePapa
Visit this Community
Akhaia, Greece / Ελλάδα
entire network: 71 Posts
KitMaker Network: 62 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 26, 2007 - 05:00 AM UTC
Hi people,
I am a scratch builder of metal (3 lathes at home) miniature firing firearms from 2mm to 4mm (latter bullet can easily pierce 4mm of steel at barrel mouth).
I don't know if and where I fit in, but like all kinds of models anyway.
Am considering a 1:10 FlaK 88 model (firing of course).
Contact with anyone with similar orientation would be most welcome.
Please excuse my English but it's not my mother language,
Regards to all,

George
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 4,002 Posts
KitMaker Network: 648 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 26, 2007 - 04:49 PM UTC
Gday George and welcome...
Your English is better than most native speakers here
A fascinating hobby interest you have here. Although I don't know of anyone similar, I'd be more than intrigued to see any photos of what you have built. Sounds amazing!
Cheers
Brad
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 26, 2007 - 05:55 PM UTC
Howdy George

Allow me to extend a hearty "Welcome!!" to you from all of us here at Armorama {ModelGeek}. I too find your chosen focus in the world of modeling to be quite unique. Just as there are miniaturists who build small scale steam engines and such that work, I suppose building scaled firearms that also work fits into that talent catagory..........very nice.

A 1/10th scale German 88mm huh? That would really be something
Would love to see how you go about doing that. I'm quite sure the vast majority of the members here would enjoy looking over your shoulder during that 'work-inprogress'.

Again, welcome.

Tread.

PostScript: Uh, George......I was just thinking......since you planned on making this 88MM able to actually fire a projectile, where in the world are you going to find a 1/10th scale 88mm shell? Make that too I suppose? At that scale, maybe you could use existing small caliber bullets?..........just wonderin'.
JackBlock
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 144 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 27, 2007 - 12:24 AM UTC
Hello and welcome George!
A 1/10th 88? A functioning 88?!? This I have got to see. Please do keep us posted. I for one am most anxious to see that project come to fruition. And any other projects you are willing to post.

Cheers

Dave
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 27, 2007 - 10:29 PM UTC
Welcome George to the site.

88 MM working sounds real good to me.

Like 88 MM guns.

If my memory i still half decent their was a Guy back in the 1970's or late 60's that made one a machinist I guess like you was really good but don't remember if it fired but I think not.

So keep us informed please.

I thank was in the early series of Model mag like fine scale before they changed names.

Cheers
GeorgePapa
Visit this Community
Akhaia, Greece / Ελλάδα
Posted: Monday, May 28, 2007 - 12:39 AM UTC
Hi Brad, (is it short for Gen. Bradley perhaps?)
well, thanks for the language part. Regarding pictures, I don't yet understand how could I possibly upload some but I trust I will find the way.
I also don't know if my answering to you is readable by other members or do I have to answer to their kind welcome one by one. Your assistance in such mundane matters will be greatly appreciated.
Till we meet again,

George
GeorgePapa
Visit this Community
Akhaia, Greece / Ελλάδα
Posted: Monday, May 28, 2007 - 12:55 AM UTC
Hi Gordon,
it is my intention to use a sub caliber cartridge that I have already developed for other models which is very effective for it's size. It is 4mm cal. however I intend to try to keep as close to the original dimensions as possible keeping close to scale.
The current cartridge is made in the lathe with a small pistol primer well, gunpowder and a hardened steel bullet, if wishing to pierce or linotypes metal for higher energy.
Smaller caliber cartridges, i.e. 2mm, are made by using a "secondary" firing pin which at the bottom looks like a 1mm cap but it's only a steel wire through the length of the cartridge striking the fulminate placed in a small cavity at the bottom of the bullet, I don't know if I did manage to convey the principle, but I trust your imagination and IQ will fill my description gaps.
Thanks for your welcome,
George.
P.S. I see that most of you people are high ranking officers. Well, 40 years ago I was only a Ltnt. Now I am that, only 40 years after....
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 138 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 28, 2007 - 04:53 PM UTC
George welcome to the site,the work you do sounds amazing and i for one would love to see some of it on here,very unique.

Steve
GeorgePapa
Visit this Community
Akhaia, Greece / Ελλάδα
Posted: Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 05:44 AM UTC
Hi Steve,
thanks for welcoming and expressing your interest.
You may look up my photos which I did manage to upload after hours of soldier talk with my idiotic self.

Thanks again,

George from Greece.
 _GOTOTOP