Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Deployed Kitmaker Network Members
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 26, 2007 - 12:11 AM UTC
I know there are members of the site deployed in Iraq, Afighanistan, and elsewhere where they may not have access to the internet, models or much else.
I would like to gather a list of deployed members and APO addresses and at the very least send them mail. Best case we could send them models and supplies. I have no idea who is deployed so I thought I would toss this out and see what the membership thought.

So, if you know a member who is deployed, post it here. I think we can get APO addresses.

Shaun

Happy Memorial Day
mauserman
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 1,183 Posts
KitMaker Network: 496 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 26, 2007 - 01:52 AM UTC
Excellent idea. I don't know anyone's addy who is deployed, but if they are posted here I'd be up for donating a kit or two and some supplies.
captfue
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 785 Posts
KitMaker Network: 210 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 26, 2007 - 08:30 AM UTC
Good Job. Count me in for a kit or two when your ready to mail.
Hot-wheels
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 164 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 26, 2007 - 09:30 PM UTC
Shaun

This is a great idea.. Are you thinking about collecting the kits e.t.c. to one point then sending them off, or how do we do this.? If we can get addresses, along with kits, supplies needs. I also really think we should start dropping folks a line by snail mail. Some of our folks might be in a forward area where model building is just not an option. Needless to say, count me in all the way, kits, letters whatever.
Shaun, this was a really good idea. If the folks behind the site see this Maybe a hardcopy of whats new on the site could be sent along. Nothing fancy, just a page or two about whats going on. This would be more for our members deployed where online excess is hard to come by.
Harry
This post was removed.
mauserman
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 26, 2007 - 11:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Shaun

This is a great idea.. Are you thinking about collecting the kits e.t.c. to one point then sending them off, or how do we do this.? If we can get addresses, along with kits, supplies needs. I also really think we should start dropping folks a line by snail mail. Some of our folks might be in a forward area where model building is just not an option. Needless to say, count me in all the way, kits, letters whatever.
Shaun, this was a really good idea. If the folks behind the site see this Maybe a hardcopy of whats new on the site could be sent along. Nothing fancy, just a page or two about whats going on. This would be more for our members deployed where online excess is hard to come by.
Harry

I think it would be simpler for each person to take care of shipping themselves. It could possibly be set up like a penpal database with one member assigned to one serviceman.

And Harry your suggestion about printed site news, reviews, etc. is a good one as well. I've sent a couple of goodie boxes over there in the past and always include some issues of modeling mags. I know when I was in and we were at sea, reading material was always at a premium and I'm sure it's probably still the case today.
Hot-wheels
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 27, 2007 - 05:47 AM UTC
Hi guys

Then all we really need is to find out who is where, and what's the address . As far as reading stuff goes, I've got a bunch of books I was planning on sending to the local library. They are mostly nonmillitary topic paperbacks.. Cary mentioned that reading material is needed. Just tell me how to go about it, and the library can wait. I like this idea alot, and I'm ready to jump in up to my eyeballs.
Harry
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 03:08 AM UTC
Anyone have any names?
Shaun
/Just a bump...
Hot-wheels
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 02, 2007 - 09:37 AM UTC
Hi all

Ok guys, whats happen ? It seams we were off to a great start then sort of fell off. Anybody have any more ideas ? How about addresses where to send or what to send ? Lets not let these ideas die. Who are we George W ?
Harry
mauserman
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 05:38 AM UTC
Members or not, there are still many guys over their that are into the hobby and could use a care package. If you want to send something to a trooper, the IPMS website has a page with addresses of several clubs in Iraq and Afghanistan. Go here: IPMS
Hot-wheels
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 01:11 PM UTC
Cary

I was just over there. I read the update on the club, but I can't find any addresses or anything close to directions. Heres my problem I've got a box of paperbacks, and some other stuff I want to send over there. I don't have a clue how, or where . Hell I don't even know if its something they could use. Any ideas ?
Harry
mauserman
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Monday, June 04, 2007 - 07:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Cary

I was just over there. I read the update on the club, but I can't find any addresses or anything close to directions. Heres my problem I've got a box of paperbacks, and some other stuff I want to send over there. I don't have a clue how, or where . Hell I don't even know if its something they could use. Any ideas ?
Harry

Harry, about midway down the page is a "Support The Troops" header. Click on it and it will take you to the page with the mailing and email addresses. When I sent my last one I emailed LTC Salerno (his email is listed there) and he responded to me pretty quickly. They are asking for models and supplies but I would imagine they would also be happy to get you books. Give it a try.

I'd copy and paste the info here but since it's on IPMS' site, I don't know how they'd feel about that.
Hot-wheels
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 10:06 AM UTC
Cary

Many thanks . I'm heading over to the IPMS page when I'm done overhere. I saw that header, and thought it was just a empty sign. You know the kinds you see all over. I did'nt think to follow it. I'v got alot of books,but I also got some kits and other stuff. Come on gang, If IPMS can pull something like this off a site like ARMORAMA should be able to do it with ease.
Harry
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 11:45 PM UTC
My original thought was to send things to deployed members of the site. I honestly thought some names would be forthcoming.

Shaun
mauserman
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 06:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

My original thought was to send things to deployed members of the site. I honestly thought some names would be forthcoming.

Shaun

Maybe it could be stickied at the top so that it stays in plain view. And I guess unless a fellow board member has an address, it may be kind of hard to get them. For the guys who are deployed to get online may not always be that easy and when they can they're spending their time communicating with their families rather than just surfing.

I say try to get it stuck at the top and give it some time. And to be honest, I'm kind of surprised that only four people have posted at all. I would have thought there would be more interest.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 08:10 AM UTC
To be totally honest I would be surprised to find a member deployed, openly posting their APO or FPO address. A lot of sites have been put on a banned list, and no access to deployed personal for security reasons, I still think the military has that right, and the hell with the public right to know.

Little E-1 Elroy posts something innocently, without approval, and happy enemy picks up another tibbit on secuirty, or a another tibit of information.
It's still a war, like it or not, and our guys are getting killed, because of too many tibits of information.
mauserman
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 05:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

To be totally honest I would be surprised to find a member deployed, openly posting their APO or FPO address. A lot of sites have been put on a banned list, and no access to deployed personal for security reasons, I still think the military has that right, and the hell with the public right to know.

Little E-1 Elroy posts something innocently, without approval, and happy enemy picks up another tibbit on secuirty, or a another tibit of information.
It's still a war, like it or not, and our guys are getting killed, because of too many tibits of information.

All valid points. And like I said before, if you really want to send something to the troops. head over to the IPMS site and grab an address. I can tell you that they are very appreciative of not only what they receive, but also the thought behind it.