Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Whew! Pain like no other!
Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 2,058 Posts
KitMaker Network: 787 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 12:42 AM UTC

Hi all!
Well, I haven't been here on ModelGeek since, I think, May 7th. This is due to the L-5 herneated disc and consequent sciatica I've been sssoooo unlucky to experience.
I have been flat on my back for two weeks straight, on steroids and major pain killers and muscle relaxants and sitting at the computer has been a SERIOUS no-no for me.
Let me tell ya'll, I've had an appendicitis, a broken wrist, concussions and there is no way any of them compete with a herniated disc as far as pain goes. HOLY COW! I have no "worst enemy", but, if I did, I wouldn't wish the pain I went through on even them.
Two Emergency Room visits. Intraveinous narcotics and steroids. Oh my goodness there IS NO worse pain.
BUT! I'm getting better! I'm about 80% better and soooooooo looking forward to getting back to normal. Taking care of my family (instead of the opposite) is so important to me and not being able to dragged me down into such a depression that I had no hope at certain times.
I'm telling this little tale because I have hope again. I have never felt so good inside as I do right now. It was very bleak for me for a while there and I was not used to feeling that way at all. I always look at the bright side of things. Steroids can do that to you I guess. When people were around me, I'd get pissed off very easily and when I was alone, I'd fall into valleys of depression that would scare the daylights outta me.
It was a real eye-opener for me too. I've always looked at depression as a "snap out of it!" kinda thing. NO MORE! It's real and scary. I'm still on the steroids, but waning off of them. I have beaten the depressions and I still have work to do on the actual injury, but, I see a bright future instead of grief and guilt.
Dammit, I just feel better! And I just wanted to tell all my friends here how excited I am to be coming back to the workbench soon!

Thanks for listening to my rant. Really.

Cuhail
Vadster
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 987 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 01:24 AM UTC
Dang Man! Here's to the continuation of your recovery.
mark197205
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,593 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 01:50 AM UTC
A herniated disc? holy crap, thats nasty!!

Good to have ya back on the mend Murph, heres to your continued recovery.
Bigskip
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,487 Posts
KitMaker Network: 464 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 03:01 AM UTC
Glad to hear you are on the mend
CReading
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,726 Posts
KitMaker Network: 558 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 04:41 AM UTC
Sorry about the depression....it's a real drag. Possibly drug induced as depression can be a side effect of heavy duty pain killers.
The good thing is that you were able to recognize what was happening and at least realize what you were experiencing.
Serious back problems are the worst as it affects everything from the slightest movements to just trying to breath.
Glad you're on the mend.
Cheers,
Charles
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,218 Posts
KitMaker Network: 760 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 04:52 AM UTC
Bummer, mate, real bummer!

I damaged my back in the Army and sometimes the pain is horrendous. It goes away usually within about 24 hours for a few weeks.

Hope you get back to normal quickly.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 06:43 AM UTC
I haven't had a herniated disk, but I've had a pinched nerve, and the sciatica, and I agree with you, there is NO worse pain. I was on my back for four weeks, and pretty doped up. What got me was I had such a high fever I was delirious. The doctors acted like they had never heard of such a thing, but several friends of mine had experienced similar symptoms. Glad to hear you're on the mend.
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 4,002 Posts
KitMaker Network: 648 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 06:38 PM UTC
Glad to hear you are on the mend Murph!
I currently have a lower back pain, but it is bearable except for sneezing and getting up out of a chair too quickly...
Nothing compared to what you have gone through... Glad your sanity is intact
Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 11:14 PM UTC
Awww, thanks all! Yeah, there's a few of you who have very similar stories.
I'm in agreement about the painkillers and steroids causing the depression. It did help it surface, but the root was, now that I'm clear-headed, inside me the whole time. You never know how relied-upon you are until you are forced to lay there and watch your other half do all your work. THAT was the trigger. I learned a lot about what I'm all about and what family really means when the chips were down. I really felt I was letting people down even though they insisted it wasn't my fault, I was injured. I didn't care why I wasn't doing what I saw as "my job", just that it wasn't me doing it and that soooo pissed me off. Couple that with the drugs and WOW! What a basket case for a while.
I feel for anyone who's gone through the whole Sciatica ordeal. I'm at about 85% and I still have to go through a bit before I'm at 100%. I have an MRI coming where my doctor, chiropractor and a physical pain therapist pour over the results and decide what to do about it. It could range from physical therapy to surgery on my spine (EEEEKKK!!!!). I'm shooting for just manipulation and therapy, but, I'm an optimist!
Thanks all for the good wishes. They help.
Gotta go, this chair doesn't do me any good at all.

Cuhail
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 03:14 AM UTC
Had L-4 L5 done years ago.
Haven't had any back problems since the surgery, other than an occasional back ache until I went head over heels on the ice in February. That knocked everything out of whack. Spent 3 weeks in pain, bed, heating pads and ice packs. Fortunately (according to the Back Dude at least!) it was just a pinched nerve caused by a locked mucsle, not anymore disk damage, so a six week round of PT, anti-inflammatory drugs, and steroids and I'm back to work.

Watch out for those steriods Murph, Too much and your we-wee falls off, you may hit a lot of home runs but with no we-wee---- I gained almost 20 pounds on them, which naturely puts more strain, on an already strained and stress back muscles and nerves. "Back to the Fat Ladies Club".....
LogansDad
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 938 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 06:33 AM UTC
Murph_ Been there, done that. No, really. Had ruptures @ both L-4/L-5 & L-5/S-1. Docs decided to go in 13 MONTHS after the initial prognosis. I truly believe that the long term trauma associated w/ the depression of not being able to "do" or "be there" for my family is a direct contributor to the fact that my perfect wife of 14 yrs. left me.
Get w/ your Psych or GP & have a basic SSRI prescribed, It's NOT a sign of weakness, It's a STRONG admission of the fact that you as a man wish to meet this head on & beat it. Don't wait, it just gets worse.
And I know it's scary (No BS here, Ive been in the Corps, I've been shot & stabbed, & this idea of somebody opening my SPINE scare the bejeebus outta me) But get the work done. Sooner ot's done, sooner you recover. I got my L-4/L-5 REMOVED(no fusion, no replacement) 4 yrs ago, & except for the fact that the orthos took so long to decide to go in that I now have a lesion on my Spinal Cord (Let's talk PAIN), I am now able to work 12 hrs at a time as a security officer & (MOST IMPORTANT) I can actually lift & carry BOTH of my kids. Now THAT'S a feeling of success.
It's a long road, Murph, But you know I've never tried to crap you in the past, so Please, PLEASE, consider what I've said. Major pain now can save you constant pain later. I'm Living proof.
PM me if you want my email or Private phone #. I'd be happy to talk if you think it'd help.
Pulling for you, Bro-
SWLD
Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 10:01 AM UTC
Jeez Robert. my sympathies. But honestly, now that I'm off all the weird drugs, I can rationalize without the overwhelming emotion. I have a very positive outlook on the whole situation and no matter what, I'll face it with bravery and my eyes open. I'm still a little scared about the prognosis, but, after hearing a lot of the accounts of similar situations with you guys, I'm not so worried and I think I'm tending to it early enough to reverse it without too much trouble. I just got hit with the depressions. I had never faced depression before within me and it kinda freaked me out. I'm not at all worried now that I'm 85% out of pain. It was just some wicked-bad ouchies, steroids and prescription painkillers. Add that to the fact that I quit caffine and maryjane in the same day and my body/mind just was staggered.
I'm gonna be okay. I found some good doctors that actually care about healing more than earning so the money issue isn't so scary either.

I'm almost ready to dance....almost.

Cuhail