_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Online Model Shops
BigWorm
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 14 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 09:41 PM UTC
Hi guys.

I'm new to the site and to modeling in general. I just finished a Tamiya Ford Mutt. The first model I have ever put together. I like the jeeps and any Land Rovers I can get my hands on.

Currently working on a 109 (Pink Panther that isn't pink any more). I’m thinking about turning it or another into a Cuthbertson after I’ve cut my teeth on a few other LR and jeep models. I have not been able to find the rover ambulance at any of the local shops. I have found some on the online sites, but I am hesitant to order from the one in China.

My question is, is Lucky Model.com a repeatable place to order models from?
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
entire network: 6,048 Posts
KitMaker Network: 845 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 10:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

My question is, is Lucky Model.com a repeatable place to order models from?

Repeatable or reputable? Actually the answer is both, I'm a repeat buyer from Lucky models, look in the Buy, Sell or Trade forum for threads about them. They can be slow sometimes-Remember when surfing their site there is a difference between in stock and available. Available means they can get it for you in stock means they actually have it.
BigWorm
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 11:22 PM UTC
Reputable is the word I'm looking for

Thanks for the info I'll do some more checking on them.

This isn't the place the old saying, "slow boat from China" came from is it
BigWorm
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Friday, May 18, 2007 - 11:55 PM UTC
Are there any other online shops anyone can suggest I take a look at?
DeskJockey
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,558 Posts
KitMaker Network: 376 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 01:28 AM UTC
Greatmodels.com, spruebrothers.com, discountmodels.com, and redfroghobbies.com are all good options to choose from, and all of them are US based (I think). I've ordered from Sprue Brothers and like them a lot. I have also placed multiple $100+ orders with Lucky Models.com, and they are very good and reliable.

exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
entire network: 6,048 Posts
KitMaker Network: 845 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 02:54 AM UTC
I would second Spruebrothers having ordered from them in the past, also Alpenflage hobbies who are also based in the US.

Hobbylink Japan is where I order 95% of my models and I've never had a problem with them.
DUBDUBS
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 624 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 09:50 AM UTC
since you're in the US of A, you should check out www.Squadron.com and www.Towerhobbies.com. both I have ordered from multiple times, and Tower even sent me a new set of kits for free when UPS crushed and ruined mine!
BigWorm
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 10:53 AM UTC
Thanks for the info yall.

I've ran across some of these sites and some are new. I've checked all of them out that are listed and like a few of them. Mostly I’m looking for 1/35 scale Land Rovers, the Accurate Armor stuff is out of my price range for a beginning hobby. 1/35 scale Jeeps are another one of my interest and most of the other stuff like the Russian GAZ67B and the German VWs, like the kubelwagon.

I also like the 1/76 scale JB Models but just because they make the LR Forward Control.

Already have a project list lined up, as soon as I make my mind up on who I want to order from.

Something I have not ran across except the 1/24 Dakar model is a Mercedes Gelaendewagen would anyone know where I could find a 1/35 military one?
DeskJockey
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 08:05 PM UTC
BigWorm--sadly, there is no 1/35 G-wagon from a mainstream manufacturer (I looked high and low for one last year and came up dry). The only option is an Austrian vacuform kit from www.Scaleshop.at. Here is the link:
https://ssl3.world4you.com/scale87/product_info.php?info=p115_Puch-G---LF.html&XTCsid=dccb2f560fb67ec71dfa7120d1bab5a8

I bought this kit a couple of months ago. It is very basic both inside and out (as are most vacuum kits), but represents a good place to start. I'd recommend not building it until you get some experience under your belt (that's what I'm doing--saving it for a few years down the road). I bought it when it was available because the Scaleshop seems to be an on-and-off affair, and could be discontinued at a moment's notice.

BigWorm
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 09:40 PM UTC
Hey thanks for the site to the G-wagons, plus the Pinzgauer. One question though do the kits come with the wheels or are the wheel sets they offer something extra for detail?
DeskJockey
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 11:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey thanks for the site to the G-wagons, plus the Pinzgaur. One question though do the kits come with the wheels or are the wheel sets they offer something extra for detail?

The kits come with vacuformed wheels that don't have much detail on them, but the site also sells resin cast wheels that look pretty nice--I got them for my kit.
 _GOTOTOP