General items for sale by poster.
US Postal Increases
WarWheels
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 1,816 Posts
KitMaker Network: 329 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 09:31 PM UTC
Any fellow Americans used the US Postal Service yet since the rate hikes? If so, what are the price increases like so far?

I've heard a couple stories but nothing really concrete yet in terms of real damage.
Vadster
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 987 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 10:39 PM UTC
They screwed me up - dimesions also play a factor more than ever now - parcel post has become pretty usless now - it would behoove one to just go for priority an example would be from my zip 37210 to a zip in Maryland 21102 for a package weighing in @ 4 lbs. PRIORITY 7.70 PARCEL POST 7.47 - not much difference. Then there is shipping abroad....
Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 2,659 Posts
KitMaker Network: 865 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 18, 2007 - 05:56 AM UTC

I sent a box out today about 4 pounds or so (shoes the wife is returning to qvc) was only a .27 cent difference between parcel post and Priority.. I sent it parcel post... heh.. .27 cents is .27 cents...

Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 18, 2007 - 04:40 PM UTC
Buy a ton of forever stamps......
and cover your packages with them.....

I have a load of old stamps to use up(all 37 cents) , so I picked up some more 2 cent-ers.... Since I normally do only one or two envelopes a month, I have enough to last until the next rate increase.
propboy44256
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,038 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 05:40 PM UTC
You would think, that the amount of US mail, should be decreasing since, the internet and email have came, that due to supply and demand, that the price would go down. But that would make to much sense.
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 05:52 PM UTC
The real problem is there is no longer a surface option for overseas shipping. It is all priority (air) mail now. A five pound package went from $12 to $36.
Trust me.
I started a topic in Spare Parts looking for alternatives.

Shaun

/I guess this is really killing some small businesses, like rare book sellers and the like.
Mozam
Visit this Community
Montana, United States
entire network: 498 Posts
KitMaker Network: 227 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 07:59 PM UTC
I am confused. I just went to ship something, after having checked the cost on line and when I got to the post office it was higher by like a dollar. Kind of hard to calculate shipping when you are dealing with these inconsistencies.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 08:09 PM UTC
Its a pity, because I had some good deals with memebers here, and the occasional US Ebay item, but postage from, or to, the US makes any deals today, costly and undesirable. We all lose out on both sides of the pond. Its not too bad yet in Europe, even between countries, but it is increasing all the time .. coming to the point, where its starting to become a factor when deciding where and what to purcahse.
So much for the world getting smaller!!
GALILEO1
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 1,794 Posts
KitMaker Network: 304 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 09:09 PM UTC
And the hike in US gas prices doesn't help much either. Does this maybe have anything to do with the recent postal increases? Who knows.

Rob
 _GOTOTOP